E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Half Engine Light. Codes Inside

04-26-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Seanpatio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BSM F90 M5C

Half Engine Light. Codes Inside

Car 07 335i 76k FBO 6AT
Jb4 G5, DP's, FMIC, DCI, E40 Mix

So about a 2 months ago on the way Vegas under WOT at about 120 mph (I know a bit fast) while messing with a Porsche Panamara S, I got a half engine light. Lost all power, pulled to the side restarted the car and it went away. Thought nothing of it.

Last week going WOT onto the freeway same thing happened lost most power, but before I could pull over it went away.

Today I was coming home an my car felt jerky in manual mode. I tried to gas it a bit and it felt as if it was misfiring. No engine light or half engine light came on. I pulled to the side and had a rough idle for about 20 seconds and it went away.

I have changed spark plugs and a few coil packs when ever I have misfires but this seems different. I borrowed a cheap scanner and these are the codes it produced.

0 DTC
P30C1
P07FF
P000A

I tried my best to research these codes and the only one I found info on was P000A "Camshaft Position Slow"

Any ideas would be a great help. I'm staring to think my car is in desperate need of walnut blasting. I also read somewhere about cleaning out solenoids?

I'm not car retarded nor am I a car expert so be kind with trolling and terminology.

I put a bottle of injector cleaner in on a quarter tank of gas thinking it may help and I'm just about to hit empty. I assume this is not related.

Your fellow bimmerpost friend,

Sean
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
Seanpatio
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BSM F90 M5C

Did a DIY and pulled the upper solenoid out and cleaned it up. Warmed up the car and did a few spirited laps in the hills and a couple quick runs on a dead street nothing seemed to be acting up. But I noticed a smell as if the engine was really hot. I turned off the boost high jack on my oil temp and I was right on 250. I don't believe it would ever sits that high? I currently have been idling for the past 10 minutes and it has dropped back to 240. I suppose I'm paranoid and just need a tad bit of reassurance. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
zack9r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpatio View Post
Did a DIY and pulled the upper solenoid out and cleaned it up. Warmed up the car and did a few spirited laps in the hills and a couple quick runs on a dead street nothing seemed to be acting up. But I noticed a smell as if the engine was really hot. I turned off the boost high jack on my oil temp and I was right on 250. I don't believe it would ever sits that high? I currently have been idling for the past 10 minutes and it has dropped back to 240. I suppose I'm paranoid and just need a tad bit of reassurance. Anyone?
Hi, just got this error code. What exactly did you do to fix it? You said you cleaned the "upper solenoid" but im having trouble figuring out where that is
      12-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
nissubaru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i MSport + 1990 300ZX TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack9r View Post
Hi, just got this error code. What exactly did you do to fix it? You said you cleaned the "upper solenoid" but im having trouble figuring out where that is
Probably meant the vanos solenoids
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Cheap scanners don't really show the BMW codes well as they just assign generic values.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #6
zack9r
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissubaru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zack9r View Post
Probably meant the vanos solenoids
Correct me if im wrong, but i thought the vanos solenoids only really canbe diagnosed to be bad around lower rpm's

I get the check engine light at higher rpm's say 5-7k

(Not 30ff, turbos still kick in and power is still semi available) and the code isnt there, turbos replaced around 90k)