E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MMP Inlets and Outlets Review and Dyno Results

08-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #1
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 sdrive35is

MMP Inlets and Outlets Review and Dyno Results

Hey everyone, after three long weeks of testing, tuning, and dyno runs I wanted to share my 2011 z4 sdrive35is dyno results from the MMP Inlets and Outlets I bought back in July.

First I want to give a HUGE shout-out to BuraQ for doing all the tuning on this car. He has seriously done countless map revisions for me and supported me with instant map improvements on the fly while driving and during these dyno runs. Anytime an issue would pop up, he would have a solution right away. I came from an OTS stage 2 map through MHD, and while that was nice it left a lot to be desired especially with the DCT.

My FBO mods are:

n54 stock turbos w/ DCT
ER FMIC/CP w/ tial bov
AR catless downpipes
AFE Magnum intake
BQ e60 custom tune

First I established my all-out e60 FBO tune with BQ. My best run made 437hp and 485ft-lbs of torque on a dynojet w/ std corrections @ 92 degree temps.

Next, I installed just MMP inlets, spent a week with BQ tuning the car again to take advantage of the extra airflow and went back to the same dyno. This time my best run made 455hp and 550ft-lbs of torque in 91 degree temps. So inlets alone I picked up 18hp and 65ft-lbs of torque. Now, I am 100% certain BQ and I could of picked up even more horsepower but I kept having throttle closures from overboosting at the dyno and after a couple hours I think the guys at the dyno shop wanted to go home.

Finally, I installed the MMP outlets and once again spent a week tuning the car with BQ to try and max out power. After inlets and outlets were installed I was able to put down 479hp and and 542ft-lbs of torque in 91 degree temps. So outlets alone gave me an extra 24hp while peak torque stayed about the same.

All together the inlets and outlets gave me an extra 42hp and 57ft-lbs of torque. And to be honest, this is at the low side of what you can get because I am still on my stock tmap sensor and couldnt push boost as high as the inlets and outlets could of supported. I plan on upgrading that and trying again to break the 500hp mark on stock turbos.

Anyone who is still deciding on inlets/outlets these are a no brainer for the price. Other than FMIC/tune, i dont think there is a better horsepower for your dollar mod. I kept all logs and dyno runs so if anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask, or any advice on cracking that 500hp!

side notes:
-Inlets cost me $180 to install and my mechanic said they were a pain, he charged me the same for outlets but said they were much much easier.
-The turbos sound way better after inlets
-Shipping was very quick, MMP actually delivered the parts before his original promise date for the z4 parts which was nice
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
      08-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #2
fmoua916
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Wow some nice gains!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:02 PM   #3
Wifeys335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335

Nice! These sound like a good buy. Any pictures of your engine bay? Who did the install?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 08:06 PM   #4
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here are some logs of each tune:

FBO:

http://datazap.me/u/2011z435is/bq-v1...=0&data=4-5-22

FBO +inlets

http://datazap.me/u/2011z435is/v18a-...=0&data=4-5-22

FBO +inlets and outlets

http://datazap.me/u/2011z435is/log-1...=0&data=4-5-22

You can see from the inlets and inlets/outlets logs the wgdc is still pretty low and after I get the tmap sensor upgrade I should still have a lot of room to run even more boost. Before inlets/outlets even if we tried pushing more boost the turbos just wouldnt do it.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Captain Canuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Don't mention this in the Frankenturbo thread! It could derail the sales pitch!
Nice gains.
Appreciate 5
      08-03-2016, 08:29 PM   #6
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

As a tuner on another platform it appears to me that the gains between the red run and the final blue run were mostly tune related. You can tell by looking at the torque curve in the red run, the peak and dip mean that Buraq was not finished adjusting the timing on that run. See how the green and blue graphs mirror each other? That's because both of those runs were finished tunes.

My point is there is still no proof that outlets do anything and it makes me question what took place behind the scenes for Buraq to do a complete tune on the first and last run but not in between. The conspiracy theorist in me says he collaborated with MMP for whatever reason to try to show a gain that's not really there, but realistically he probably just knew you would get to the outlets eventually and didn't give it his all until you had everything. Either way I wouldn't put anything past the vendors in this community after seeing the shady ass shit that comes from Vargas
      08-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan View Post
As a tuner on another platform it appears to me that the gains between the red run and the final blue run were mostly tune related. You can tell by looking at the torque curve in the red run, the peak and dip mean that Buraq was not finished adjusting the timing on that run. See how the green and blue graphs mirror each other? That's because both of those runs were finished tunes.

My point is there is still no proof that outlets do anything and it makes me question what took place behind the scenes for Buraq to do a complete tune on the first and last run but not in between. The conspiracy theorist in me says he collaborated with MMP for whatever reason to try to show a gain that's not really there, but realistically he probably just knew you would get to the outlets eventually and didn't give it his all until you had everything. Either way I wouldn't put anything past the vendors in this community after seeing the shady ass shit that comes from Vargas
Milan, BQ and I actually tried more timing on the FBO and inlets maps but my car didnt seem to like it, I kept getting a good deal of timing corrections. That issue did not appear after outlets though.

Also, check out this inlets dyno log, you can see the torque dips are from throttle closures. So yes you are absolutely correct that the inlets dyno is probably not maxed out, but I stated that myself I also mentioned once I get my tmap sensor upgraded I plan on going back to squeeze even more out of these turbos with the outlets.

http://datazap.me/u/2011z435is/v17-d...0&data=4-22-26
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan

Nice gains op and thanks for sharing!

And no I was no meeting with BQ on this to collude and tell him how to get gains, lol

Always naysayers and skeptics

I will say this, outlets won't give gains really without inlets and generally inlets give more gains than outlets although outlets do give great gains when added to inlets...but results are results here

Also my outlets are the only 2" outlets on the market, upgrading the tiny 1.25" stock pipes, and go with any intercooler and can later be used plug and play with my MMP stage 3 hybrid turbos
Appreciate 3
JASE33526.00
BQTuning468.50
      08-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
nitehawk
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6MT

Garage List
OP, were these the silicone stock location inlets and silicone outlets?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #10
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
OP, were these the silicone stock location inlets and silicone outlets?
Yep! they are both full silicone and the inlets bolt right up to the stock location so they will work with any intake.
Appreciate 1
      08-03-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Happy to hear your results, I just ordered this package yesterday.

Everyone ignore Milan. He's very negative, to put it lightly, on this board and at least two others.

Last edited by wren57; 08-03-2016 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50
      08-03-2016, 09:38 PM   #12
Turbo_power4ever
Captain
Rep
Drives: Fbo blacked e92

perfect. I just bought the relocation inlets and silicone outlets. can't wait to get them going along with my meth kit!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 10:40 PM   #13
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

congratz on the great numbers!! Post up some vids and pics!
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #14
335is-dct
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335is

I have mmp's silicone inlets and outlets, and they gave a substantial reduction in wgdc.
Appreciate 3
puppydax146.50
      08-04-2016, 02:36 AM   #15
bartbes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Thank you for this thread!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 06:52 AM   #16
lightmanek
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i N54 MT ST PI FF

Thanks for doing comparisons 2011z435is!

I'm just in the middle of installing MMP in and outlets together with host of other improvements. As I type this my TD03 turbos are being upgraded to Stage 2 with 2'' connection to match MMP outlets without adapter.
One more week to find out how it feels to have all this power!

BTW my car is UK RHD and one of the outlet stock pipes was flattened to just about 1/4 pipe diameter to accommodate steering column That turbo had to push hard to get any air out! With new 2'' outlets and cleaver routing it should help that turbo breath

Engine waiting for Stage 2 turbos

Name:  2016-08-03 10.08.17.jpg
Views: 10893
Size:  472.3 KB

BTW MMP is really helpful and professional guy! I needed my parts to be sent directly to Poland ASAP as it was last minute decision to install them as I'm here only for 2 weeks on holiday. He made sure parcel was dispatched same day priority shipping and arrived ahead of schedule! Great customer service!

Last edited by lightmanek; 08-04-2016 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #17
sloweste9x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E61 535XI, E92 335I (Sold)

Garage List
What intercooler are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifeys335i View Post
Nice! These sound like a good buy. Any pictures of your engine bay? Who did the install?
I can post some pics, but my engine bay isn't anything special! haha.

A local indy shop in Cleveland did the install. If you are interested who exactly just PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb21111 View Post
What intercooler are you running?
Evolution Racewerks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #19
Milan
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
Happy to hear your results, I just ordered this package yesterday.

Everyone ignore Milan. He's very negative, to put it lightly, on this board and at least two others.
It's called being realistic. Glad to know I have a follower though

Still no proof that outlets make any power....
      08-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #20
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep

Quote:

Far from a follower, just notice on all three boards I'm on whenever someone is being an ass I check their name and its normally you. It's called knowing the source.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #21
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:

You're entitled to an opinion, and I tend to be an asshole, but you can't really group every vendor on this platform in with Vargas. There might be some shady vendors around here, but no one else has that power of a reputation yet. If you want to group them with that guy, let them ruin their reputation first.

Also, out of curiosity, are there any pictures of these MMP turbos installed yet? I've been hearing about them for months and seeing results and things but I haven't seen any installed pictures. I'm not claiming anything shady, just curious.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #22
MM Performance
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Cp TiAg 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90
Quote:

You're entitled to an opinion, and I tend to be an asshole, but you can't really group every vendor on this platform in with Vargas. There might be some shady vendors around here, but no one else has that power of a reputation yet. If you want to group them with that guy, let them ruin their reputation first.

Also, out of curiosity, are there any pictures of these MMP turbos installed yet? I've been hearing about them for months and seeing results and things but I haven't seen any installed pictures. I'm not claiming anything shady, just curious.
There are a couple customers that just finished their installs and about 10 other customers with turbos in hand planning their install. But let's take this discussion Into my turbo thread since this thread is about MMP inlets and outlets and not my stage 3 turbos
Appreciate 0