E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Odds of passing emissions in Phoenix, az

05-27-2021, 04:06 PM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Odds of passing emissions in Phoenix, az

I have a 2011 bmw 335d and I already received a vrsf downpipe for my car. I was planning on ordering an ATM exhaust, race pipe and doing a Malone tune but I went to check the emissions requirements for my city and I guess I read the wrong info the first time. Apparently I need to test once a year and it says they do a "smoke opacity test." Basically meaning they measure how dark the smoke from the exhaust is? What are the odds of passing this if I did the emissions delete? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get the answer I'm hoping for but thanks in advance for the help! Btw I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. Are there any other 335d owners in Phoenix?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

https://casetext.com/regulation/ariz...est-procedures

Best to go right to the state documents…
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #3
Skitzo_phrenik
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d e90

Your chances arent too good from what ive heard. Im in Mesa myself and just recently bought a tuned and deleted 335d, luckily my cars are registered up in Havasu so no emissions required. Tho I have considered paying the $14 to get it tested anyways just for curiosity sake.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
e90Noobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearitself165 View Post
I have a 2011 bmw 335d and I already received a vrsf downpipe for my car. I was planning on ordering an ATM exhaust, race pipe and doing a Malone tune but I went to check the emissions requirements for my city and I guess I read the wrong info the first time. Apparently I need to test once a year and it says they do a "smoke opacity test." Basically meaning they measure how dark the smoke from the exhaust is? What are the odds of passing this if I did the emissions delete? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get the answer I'm hoping for but thanks in advance for the help! Btw I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. Are there any other 335d owners in Phoenix?
It shouldn't smoke unless you go WOT so idk how they're going to test that.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 11:58 PM   #5
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzo_phrenik View Post
Your chances arent too good from what ive heard. Im in Mesa myself and just recently bought a tuned and deleted 335d, luckily my cars are registered up in Havasu so no emissions required. Tho I have considered paying the $14 to get it tested anyways just for curiosity sake.
Cool brother! Thats cool I used to live in Lake Havasu when I was younger. Also my sister currently lives in Mesa.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 05:23 PM   #6
kaylabryn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Duramax, VTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Noobie View Post
It shouldn't smoke unless you go WOT so idk how they're going to test that.
Depends on base boost fueling. They do a snap test which means floor it to rev limiter then release when they tell you. Owner getst o control the pedal so you can "Slowly" roll into it. They do 3 of these and average the Opacity reading. Sucks because it is every year. They also do a visual for the obvious things sooo it needs to look stockish.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #7
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
I have talked to a few deleted owners who have passed the test. With that said, they are probably getting stricter. In Sept 2020, they spent 2 minutes visually inspecting my stock 09 and sent me on my way with no throttle pressing. I never left the car. Things may be different now that Covid is going away.

The reality is a deleted M57 smells like a diesel. A stock one does not. Any half decent inspector will be able to tell it is deleted with a simple sniff test at the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #8
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smass View Post
I have talked to a few deleted owners who have passed the test. With that said, they are probably getting stricter. In Sept 2020, they spent 2 minutes visually inspecting my stock 09 and sent me on my way with no throttle pressing. I never left the car. Things may be different now that Covid is going away.

The reality is a deleted M57 smells like a diesel. A stock one does not. Any half decent inspector will be able to tell it is deleted with a simple sniff test at the rear of the car.
That is definitely unfortunate...but now that I've removed the swirl flaps and EGR cooler/valve I am confident I can put those back on before I have to do emissions. Hopefully today I can replace DPF and SCR and become confident in replacing those as well when the time comes.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 01:15 AM   #9
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Good news Arizona does not have an emissions test for the 335d. You will get a directors certificate which is an automatic pass. Just pay a small fee for the paperwork and you are good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #10
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Good news Arizona does not have an emissions test for the 335d. You will get a directors certificate which is an automatic pass. Just pay a small fee for the paperwork and you are good to go.
really? at first i thought thats how it was but when i researched more on the AZDEQ website it said for maricopa county the stuff about opaqueness test and all that... But either way i hope youre correect because ive already deleted my EGR and swirl flaps and i have my full turboback exhaust ready and waiting to be put on!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #11
kaylabryn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Duramax, VTEC

Quote:
So I wonder if they changed things. Prior to Dieselgate my 09 TDI had to be tested every year. That would be awesome if they did change things. I am on here still researching, have not pulled the trigger on buying a 335D yet. Please follow up because this would definitely sway my decision to get one.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 12:41 AM   #12
Peteport
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

Delayed response on emissions

I have owned my 2011 335d for just under 5 years. Every year I go to my required emissions test, the guys all talk for 5 minutes before some manger comes over and gives me a certificate and sends me on my way. I have been to a test center on the west side of town…51 Ave and Virginia and near the airport…both did the same thing…no test and I stayed in my car each time.

That said, I have had no deletes and no tuning…but strongly considering putting some money in to get everything juiced up. Anyone have a Suggestion for best place to go in town for this type of work?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 10:53 PM   #13
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteport View Post
I have owned my 2011 335d for just under 5 years. Every year I go to my required emissions test, the guys all talk for 5 minutes before some manger comes over and gives me a certificate and sends me on my way. I have been to a test center on the west side of town…51 Ave and Virginia and near the airport…both did the same thing…no test and I stayed in my car each time.

That said, I have had no deletes and no tuning…but strongly considering putting some money in to get everything juiced up. Anyone have a Suggestion for best place to go in town for this type of work?

Thanks
Honestly I could help you out for a great price I you got the parts. I've done the deletes all myself, thermostat, water pump, swirl flaps, EGR cooler and EGR valve delete, DPF and SCR delete, and i just finished removing the DEF tank and pump yesterday
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
Skitzo_phrenik
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteport View Post

Thanks
I also have a good friend that actually has a side job of just deleting 335d/X5d at a very good price. Let me know if you want his info.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

There are no emissions in AZ for these cars you are all good I'm in Tucson here. You will just get a directors certificate.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #16
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylabryn View Post
So I wonder if they changed things. Prior to Dieselgate my 09 TDI had to be tested every year. That would be awesome if they did change things. I am on here still researching, have not pulled the trigger on buying a 335D yet. Please follow up because this would definitely sway my decision to get one.
Yeah it's just the bmw 335d. Reason is because they never paid to make the test up as not enough cars were imported or sold. Other diesels still have the test and my cw passed Everytime the opacity test as that is all they check.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #17
jcray1
Registered
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitzo_phrenik View Post
I also have a good friend that actually has a side job of just deleting 335d/X5d at a very good price. Let me know if you want his info.
Hi 👋. Can I get the info for the person/mechanic who does deleting emissions parts on 335D?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 02:00 PM   #18
natebarnz
Registered
Rep
Drives: E70 35d 12/2011

Quote:
There are no emissions in AZ for these cars you are all good I'm in Tucson here. You will just get a directors certificate.
Later this year I will need to get tested in Tucson and was wondering if you got the certificate again on your last test? Last year they said to me that things will likely change soon but they have no word as to when.
Appreciate 0