E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Limped home today

06-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #23
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i

Got DME back and now the car doesn't even start. It splutters and farts and the starter keeps cranking but it never actually starts.
Could it be that the plugs are wet from all the messing around?
Is there a test that BMW can do that will tell me if my DME is toast?
Anyone know where I can find a used 80 or 81?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 03:34 AM   #24
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussieatlarge View Post
Got DME back and now the car doesn't even start. It splutters and farts and the starter keeps cranking but it never actually starts.
Thats terrible news Aussie
The MSD80 is 5WK93642 and the MSD81 is 5WK93714
I just had a look on ebay, could only find MSD80s but they are $1000+
You should be able to get one cheaper then that from a wrecker, but will still need to have it programmed etc
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #25
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Quote:
You should be able to get one cheaper then that from a wrecker, but will still need to have it programmed etc
Thanks Socket. The 81s are like hens teeth. I wonder if there is anyone who really knows how to diagnose and repair them. (Not just change mosfets).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 02:12 AM   #26
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Socket. The 81s are like hens teeth. I wonder if there is anyone who really knows how to diagnose and repair them. (Not just change mosfets).
Anyone got a msd80 that they swapped out for an msd81.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 02:39 AM   #27
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Anyone got a msd80 that they swapped out for an msd81.
Not through lack of trying, I have to admit that my DME is toast. Checked the harness again, removed all the plugs and cleaned them just in case they were compromised with all the misfiring, tested injector resistance, swapped coils around, rechecked the Mosfets. It is running on cylinders 5 and 6. 30BA error and 2E8E (IBS missing) are the only codes. Battery is also stuffed from the screwing around (it won't hold a charge but all tests were done with good jumper cables attached to the Ute).

If I don't find a used msd81 locally this week, I'll bring a new one in from the states (about A$2k).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 06:59 AM   #28
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ouch!!!
Cart Subtotal (1 item): $2197.42 AUD
UPS Worldwide Expedited: $80.11 AUD
Duties and taxes: $481.94 AUD
Order Total:
$2759.46 AUD
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 08:07 AM   #29
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

Hey mate - did you try swea wreckers in villawood I think. Ask for wasim. They stock quite a lot of spares new and used.

Good luck hopefully u don't have to pay that amount for msd81

PS just realised from reading this thread - we're basically neighbours. I live in Beaumont hills 👍🏼
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2021, 09:02 AM   #30
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Ouch!!!
Order Total:
$2759.46 AUD
Ouch... i did not realise that a new DME was so exy.... hope you find a good used one before you pull the trigger on above
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #31
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ouch!!!
Order Total:
$2759.46 AUD
Ouch... i did not realise that a new DME was so exy.... hope you find a good used one before you pull the trigger on above
I'm looking for one. What is up with the $400 for import duties and taxes?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 08:33 AM   #32
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drZ View Post
Hey mate - did you try swea wreckers in villawood I think. Ask for wasim. They stock quite a lot of spares new and used.

PS just realised from reading this thread - we're basically neighbours. I live in Beaumont hills 👍🏼
Quote:

I see there is a COVID case at the old folks home near you. You moved from somewhere to Australia?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2021, 09:29 PM   #33
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Quote:

Dr Z.
Wasim has a MSD80 for $440. No MSD81. What to do??
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #34
drZ
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: black sapphire e92

Yeah I moved a while ago from Ireland to Australia for work and now for life 👌🏻

About the msd80 vs msd81 I think I read somewhere if u had the chance to upgrade to msd81, definitely should go for it. Had something to do with stability without frying the mosfets or something along those lines. Sorry I'm not terribly well versed in the electronic side of things on our cars. I think Phil aka socket can tell u more about it as he had his replaced.

The other place to ask is JPL in seven hills. Ask for Tom. I think he goes by bimaretrofit username here. He may have an msd81 and can do installation etc. there's another shop there too called rosche Motorsport or something. Also some sort of electronic guru for bmw's. Try giving em a call
You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:

About the msd80 vs msd81 I think I read somewhere if u had the chance to upgrade to msd81, definitely should go for it. Had something to do with stability without frying the mosfets or something along those lines. Sorry I'm not terribly well versed in the electronic side of things on our cars. I think Phil aka socket can tell u more about it as he had his replaced.

The other place to ask is JPL in seven hills. Ask for Tom. I think he goes by bimaretrofit username here. He may have an msd81 and can do installation etc. there's another shop there too called rosche Motorsport or something. Also some sort of electronic guru for bmw's. Try giving em a call
+1 to Tom at JPL, Good guy. I have purchased headlights and other parts off him in the past. Had a good stock on N54 parts when I dealt with him a couple of years back.

Re MSD80 vs MDS81. The MDS81 is an upgraded version of the MSD80. The MOSFET burn out issue is apparently fixed on the MSD81. It also has features that provide more options for tuning (not sure what they are specifically)

Just a question, you haven't been playing with the fuses or ground wires like this dude

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:54 PM   #36
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

+1 to Tom at JPL, Good guy. I have purchased headlights and other parts off him in the past. Had a good stock on N54 parts when I dealt with him a couple of years back.

Re MSD80 vs MDS81. The MDS81 is an upgraded version of the MSD80. The MOSFET burn out issue is apparently fixed on the MSD81. It also has features that provide more options for tuning (not sure what they are specifically)

Just a question, you haven't been playing with the fuses or ground wires like this dude

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i thought about that. I have had the battery warning error for ever. The fact that it actually starts the runs on two cylinders tells me the ECU is getting power.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 11:14 PM   #37
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah i thought about that. I have had the battery warning error for ever. The fact that it actually starts the runs on two cylinders tells me the ECU is getting power.
Thanks for everyone's help. I have two options MSD80 for $440 plus $300 for coding so $740 all up or MSD81 coded fir $1600
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 01:36 AM   #38
jzx_andy
Slowpoke
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i N54

If you plan on keeping the car for much longer, pony up for the MSD81 swap. Pay once, cry once and never worry again.
6MT swapped | Xtreme twin disk & SMF | Advan RSII | ST XTA | F82 M4 heated front seats | BMW Individual interior trims | CIC/Combox retrofits | Custom headlights | 1M/M3 mirrors | 335is auxiliary radiator | LCI tails
Appreciate 1
Socket4542.00
      07-07-2021, 01:37 AM   #39
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
How long are you planning to keep the car? If for a long while and you can afford shelling out the $, I would go with the MSD81. If you plan of selling up soon then go the cheaper option... sometimes these cars can be a pinta, but most of the time they make you smile
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #40
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How long are you planning to keep the car? If for a long while and you can afford shelling out the $, I would go with the MSD81. If you plan of selling up soon then go the cheaper option... sometimes these cars can be a pinta, but most of the time they make you smile
Thx gents. Swapping out fir the msd81 tomorrow. Wishful thinking but does the MSD81 do anything else for me other than offer reliability? I have an MHD stage2 tune. I read somewhere that the msd81 adds launch control but that doesn't seem right.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 06:20 AM   #41
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thx gents. Swapping out fir the msd81 tomorrow. Wishful thinking but does the MSD81 do anything else for me other than offer reliability? I have an MHD stage2 tune. I read somewhere that the msd81 adds launch control but that doesn't seem right.
The saga continues.
I met Tom at JPL. Excellent person. Absolute BMW fan. He has a 1 series with a full M4 drivetrain, around 600kw.

Plugged everything back in and it started and revs up but has a miss at idle. Only cylinder 4 is dead. All injector codes are gone but under load the "misfire cylinder 4" code comes back. As you can imagine with a misfire, the bank shows to be lean and under load everything turns to shit. I assume because the dme is pumping fuel into the cylinders to richen things up. It definitely runs in fewer than 5 cylinders under load. Will swap plugs then coils then injectors over the weekend to see which is the issue. I hope to hell it's the plug or coil

So DME WAS stuffed but something else has gone wrong too????

- DME active codes -
29D0 - DME: Combustion misfires, cylinder 4.
2FA3 - DME: No coding.
2FA4 - DME: Incorrect data record.

- Misc. information -
MHD build: 2.2.2
Voltage 13.55V
Last flashed file : WBSUR92030VU28116_originalpc-00.bin
VIN: WBSUR92030VU28116
CAS VIN: WBAWL72010JZ95211
HW: IJE0S
Factory software: 7637816
Current software: 7628544
ECU status: -

- Readiness -
Misfire: Complete.
Fuel System: Complete.
Components: Complete.
Catalyst: INCOMPLETE.
Heated Catalyst: Not avail.
Evaporative System: Not avail.
Secondary Air System: Not avail.
A/C Refrigerant: Not avail.
Oxygen Sensor: INCOMPLETE.
Oxygen Sensor Heater: INCOMPLETE.
EGR System: Not avail.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #42
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Hmmm could be plugs or injectors, make sure everything is properly plugged in
On the up side the DME seems to be working
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 07:18 PM   #43
Aussieatlarge
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Socket. I am pretty sure that the old DME was broken. Cylinders 123 being dead were caused by the DME and cylinder 4 issue persists.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 04:00 AM   #44
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Socket. I am pretty sure that the old DME was broken. Cylinders 123 being dead were caused by the DME and cylinder 4 issue persists.
Yeh DME was stuffed for sure Aussie... just thought with all the trouble shooting you had done might have left something unplugged for cylinder 4, done it myself a few times. Nothing more frustrating them fixing something and then finding out there is still a problem.... hope you track down the problem soon mate
Appreciate 0