E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Radiator drain plug

05-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #1
ram1boyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Radiator drain plug

Does anyone know what the trick is to installed thisss radiator drain plugs? I just swapped the radiator and can't get this drain plug to work. It keeps leaking. Not sure if there is a trick to it or if this one just sucks? Literally about to douse it in rtv and call it a day
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

The O-ring is the only sealing surface on that plug. The O-ring needs to pass through a port in the wall of the cylindrical socket you're pushing it into.

The O-ring can get stuck on the port and get pinched. If your car is a manual you can look through the back of the end tank and see the O-ring sliding into place.

Try lubricating the O-ring with some silicon gel type O-ring lube and carefully watch that it doesn't pinch when it's inserted.
      05-07-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Ha, I actually had a picture of this on my phone, because the EXACT same thing annoyed me at the end of my water pump and radiator job.

Ugh... the pic rotated the wrong way, down is to the right, but you can see the pinched O-ring.

--------
Attached Images

05-09-2022, 03:14 PM   #4
ram1boyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian86 View Post
The O-ring is the only sealing surface on that plug. The O-ring needs to pass through a port in the wall of the cylindrical socket you're pushing it into.

The O-ring can get stuck on the port and get pinched. If your car is a manual you can look through the back of the end tank and see the O-ring sliding into place.

Try lubricating the O-ring with some silicon gel type O-ring lube and carefully watch that it doesn't pinch when it's inserted.
Quote:

Quote:
Ha, I actually had a picture of this on my phone, because the EXACT same thing annoyed me at the end of my water pump and radiator job.

Ugh... the pic rotated the wrong way, down is to the right, but you can see the pinched O-ring.

--------

Turned out the plug I was using was missing the lower O ring. There should be one upper one and one lower one. I just swapped it out and used the old drain plug which had both o rings and it works fine now. I have no idea how that o ring disappeared off the new plug lol
Appreciate 0