E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > INPA when buying car

12-16-2018, 01:20 PM   #1
David_2404
Rep
Drives: 320d 2008

INPA when buying car

Interested in changing cars but sticking with an e90.

I've recently acquired INPA etc and wondered if it can produce an overall report, rather than checking each individual component?

I'm thinking it might be a wise use of 5 minutes on a test drive and a useful condition indicator / bargaining tool.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

ISTA/D will be better for that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2404 View Post
Interested in changing cars but sticking with an e90. I've recently acquired INPA etc and wondered if it can produce an overall report, rather than checking each individual component? I'm thinking it might be a wise use of 5 minutes on a test drive and a useful condition indicator / bargaining tool.
First thing to learn about INPA: "FUNCTIONAL JOBS"

Only takes 2 minutes (if your computer is just asleep) to do this:
1) plug K+DCAN Cable into OBD II socket
2) open INPA
3) select Exx for vehicle to which connecting
4) Tab to Functional Jobs
5) Select it (in Right Listbox) to display Functional Jobs Menu
6) In Functional Jobs Menu, select F4, Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher)
7) In Fehlerspeicher Menu, select F1, Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen)

It gives you a screen that shows any Fault Code saved in ANY of the ~ 20+ modules. I will attach a screenprint of Functional Jobs | Fault Memory (all modules) to next post so doesn't make this unreadable.

MOST valuable tool which should be used by all E9x owners several times a year to make sure any Fault Codes which do NOT set a warning light are identified (e.g. oil wear faults in EGS or VGSG -- Transmission or Transfer Case).

Only caution is: If you DO find Fault Codes, this summary ONLY lists a code number and module in which saved. You then have to connect to the specific module with a fault code present to (1) Read/Save the definition, (2) Read/Save the Freeze Frame Data or Details related to that code. Unless you have memorized all possible BMW FC, that adds a minute or 5 to the process.

Some Dealers/owners might have some heartburn if they saw you pulling your computer/ Cable out of your briefcase.

George
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attachments referenced in prior post:

1) ScreenPrint of INPA Listbox where select Functional Jobs
2) ScreenPrints of Functional Jobs Readout on my E91
Two screenprints attached of single FuncJobs screen (Long)

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #5
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Be prepared for bs codes that mean nothing
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #6
rt7085
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi wagon / Mercedes GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2404 View Post
Interested in changing cars but sticking with an e90. I've recently acquired INPA etc and wondered if it can produce an overall report, rather than checking each individual component? I'm thinking it might be a wise use of 5 minutes on a test drive and a useful condition indicator / bargaining tool.
First thing to learn about INPA: "FUNCTIONAL JOBS"

Only takes 2 minutes (if your computer is just asleep) to do this:
1) plug K+DCAN Cable into OBD II socket
2) open INPA
3) select Exx for vehicle to which connecting
4) Tab to Functional Jobs
5) Select it (in Right Listbox) to display Functional Jobs Menu
6) In Functional Jobs Menu, select F4, Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher)
7) In Fehlerspeicher Menu, select F1, Read Fault Memory (Fehlerspeicher Lesen)

It gives you a screen that shows any Fault Code saved in ANY of the ~ 20+ modules. I will attach a screenprint of Functional Jobs | Fault Memory (all modules) to next post so doesn't make this unreadable.

MOST valuable tool which should be used by all E9x owners several times a year to make sure any Fault Codes which do NOT set a warning light are identified (e.g. oil wear faults in EGS or VGSG -- Transmission or Transfer Case).

Only caution is: If you DO find Fault Codes, this summary ONLY lists a code number and module in which saved. You then have to connect to the specific module with a fault code present to (1) Read/Save the definition, (2) Read/Save the Freeze Frame Data or Details related to that code. Unless you have memorized all possible BMW FC, that adds a minute or 5 to the process.

Some Dealers/owners might have some heartburn if they saw you pulling your computer/ Cable out of your briefcase.

George
I pulled out my laptop with ISTA/D and said there is no deal if I cannot run a test. I did this on my e91. He rolled out an extension cord for me and said 'whatever it takes'. This was not a BMW stealer; but a good used car dealership. INPA can be used too, but ISTA is a bit more comprehensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Be prepared for bs codes that mean nothing
It is true that if codes have not been read & cleared in years, there ARE likely to be a lot of codes which relate to transient electronic hiccups, and most of those are likely to say (if you are using INPA) "Fault currently does NOT exist" or "Fehler momentan nicht vorhanden." If the "nicht" is NOT present, the Fault IS present (confused yet?)

Many faults which do NOT light a warning light, or for which no warning light is NOW lit may safely be recorded with Freeze Frame Data indicating mileage/km when fault code was saved, and then cleared to see if they ever return, rather than chasing transient "one-offs."

But as suggested above, even bs codes mean SOMETHING. A lot of old codes suggest that the vehicle has NOT been properly maintained by someone who pays attention to details. If prior owner/ tech did NOT take an extra few seconds to record Faults & Details, and then Clear codes, perhaps no one even took time to attach Scan Tool & Read the codes.

George
Appreciate 0