E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > 2009 e90 328i xDrive Opinions

04-01-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
TheRedPanda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

Hello, I'm new to this site and don't even own a BMW.....yet

I'm considering trading my 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition ATM for a used 2009 e90 328i xDrive that isn't a certified pre-owned.

I want unbiased opinions on whether or not you think trading my tuned TSX ("straight back" exhaust, no cat or resonator, with a K&N intake) for a 'base' 09 e90 328xi MTM. I like my TSX but there's only so much power i can get out of it (maybe a turbo kit on it????). It's a reliable, "newer," and luxurious car.

I don't want to hear anything about "buy a (335 330 etc..) not a 328i" because all i could/want to get is a 328xi.

ALSO: what mods could i get IF i did get that 328xi?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedPanda View Post

I'm considering trading my 2012 Acura TSX Special Edition ATM for a used 2009 e90 328i xDrive that isn't a certified pre-owned.

I want unbiased opinions on whether or not you think trading my tuned TSX ("straight back" exhaust, no cat or resonator, with a K&N intake) for a 'base' 09 e90 328xi MTM. I like my TSX but there's only so much power i can get out of it (maybe a turbo kit on it????). It's a reliable, "newer," and luxurious car.

I don't want to hear anything about "buy a (335 330 etc..) not a 328i" because all i could/want to get is a 328xi.

What do you expect to be different/better with the BMW? The 328 is a typical NA I6cyl motor, so you won't be able to put a tune on it and make more power. You'll get a more rearward biased car with the xDrive setup vs just FWD with the Acura.. You'll likely lose MPGs in that move as well.

That all said, I imagine it will be a much more fun car in terms of driving dynamics. You'll have to provide mileage of this 2009, but you should expect standard things like valve cover gasket, valve cover, coil packs, water pump, thermostat, etc. If you can DIY any of this, it's sort of a non-issue.

Mods would include: Tune (BPC or AA), MILVS, euro intake/OEM charcoal delete, silicone intake boot, headers, but all that will yield limited results for the costs (maybe 10-30hp for a $700-$2k investment).

You obviously know that others will tell you to go 335 - that's for a reason. The money you can sink in to a 328 trying to gain HP is money that could cover the difference to a 335 purchase. And then with a few hundred dollars, you can tune that 335 to almost twice the HP of a 328.

I've got probably over $2k in mods on my 328xi and it probably only does 230whp.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:41 AM   #3
TheRedPanda
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive

hey martinm0, I get your point and I appreciate the response. You've given me a lot to think about.

I hope to get a faster car. That's my goal. Plus it's a manual. I wish I could get a 335, but the dealership doesn't have any within my price range. Not to mention that the trade-in value of my TSX is probably around 10K to upwards of 13K. (328xi=9,600)

I also want to make a track car out of whichever car i do end up keeping and I believe that the 328i would be a better track car because its AWD/RWD, has higher torque and more cylinders. However, I could also put a turbo kit on the TSX and then (though unlikely) get it transformed into the DREAM manual AWD.

Another thing is that the 328i's engine sounds out the exhaust sounds a heckn' ton better than a true straight back, muf-delete TSX. It also accelerates a lot better stock than what my modded TSX does, mainly due to the AWD/RWD aspect.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
hey martinm0, I get your point and I appreciate the response. You've given me a lot to think about.

I hope to get a faster car. That's my goal. Plus it's a manual. I wish I could get a 335, but the dealership doesn't have any within my price range. Not to mention that the trade-in value of my TSX is probably around 10K to upwards of 13K. (328xi=9,600)

I also want to make a track car out of whichever car i do end up keeping and I believe that the 328i would be a better track car because its AWD/RWD, has higher torque and more cylinders. However, I could also put a turbo kit on the TSX and then (though unlikely) get it transformed into the DREAM manual AWD.

Another thing is that the 328i's engine sounds out the exhaust sounds a heckn' ton better than a true straight back, muf-delete TSX. It also accelerates a lot better stock than what my modded TSX does, mainly due to the AWD/RWD aspect.
The BMW will be more fun overall. My wife had the TSX sport wagon a few years back. It was a nice car, but just failed to perform in the winter/snow here in VT and my wife had to go to AWD cars.

I think you'd like the 328xi overall in terms of driving. Acura's usually have nice technology, so that may be something you miss, but for me, I only really car how the car drives - everything else is secondary.

I'm sure many will state that the xDrive is the wrong model to try and make a track car out of. But if you need AWD like I do, it's what we have to buy. You do have the option to switch the car to RWD with the xDelete app, so you could still get the playfulness of a RWD out of it when you want it, and program it back to AWD when you need it. You'll still carry the extra weight of the xDrive system (couple hundred pounds compared to RWD 328).

And most definitely, the Inline-6 motor sounds lovely. Really one of the better sounding engines out there.

The only obstacle would be if you can do your maintenance and work on the car. If not, you should start making friends with locals that can. It's worth the effort.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #5
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

No-one has mentioned going out to find the 330xi intake, which is a pretty easy 20 hp gain (you need the 330 tune/dme). However, not much else is going to gain more hp in that engine, which is in a very high state of tune (even the 328i is pretty high...)

The xDrive adds weight (150-180 lbs) so that detracts from it being a track car against RWD models. Easier to drive since you can floor it right after entering a corner, however.

If you're looking for winter driving, the xDrive is killer, especially with winter tires. However, FWD/RWD is pretty good if you buy winter tires. For instance, I've got winter tires on my RWD 335d, and my wife has all-seasons on her 328xd, and except for going up hills, mine rules. I can brake and turn and she can't do that as well as I can.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 10:15 PM   #6
MyCar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i xDrive

Quote:

To be honest I wouldn't get an 09 BMW if I were you, especially since you mention you're on a budget. I promise you that you will end up putting lots of money into this car to maintain it, and the xDrive is just more stuff that can go wrong. Working on an xDrive is also more difficult because of the limited space under the car.

This may not be popular opinion around here, but you're asking for a headache and lots of $$$ going from Acura/Honda to a used 09 BMW. Don't be surprised if you buy the car and find tons of stuff that need immediate repair such as oil leaks and other hidden issues. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors1166.50
      04-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #7
4 Doors
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi (E90)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
Quote:

You mentioned the trade-in value of your TSX is "10k-13k". You can find a really nice 335 in that price range that has had maintenance performed. I would maybe look outside of the dealerships for a BMW. Most that have been traded-in are probably not maintained. Just my .02

Current: 2011 E91 328i M-Sport Touring
Past: 2008 E90 335xi
1996 E36 328i Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #8
kegwalker
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 335ix (n55) 6mt

Totally agree with the above. I bought a one owner 2011 335ix 6mt 2 years ago for $12,200. It had 104k, but was cherry. I flew from denver to indianapolis to buy it and drove back. With the exception of the oil filter housing gasket (simple repair, and $12 gasket. Just have to unbolt and move a lot of things to get to it) it has be very reliable. I searched pretty thoroughly for about 3 months to find what I wanted.

It seems the 335 is within your price range if you are patient. Question is which engine? N54 has 2 turbos, with higher mod potential with FBO, but slightly less reliability. N55 has a single turbo, more lower end torque (spinning only 1 compressor wheel) and slightly better reliability.

if you really want an xdrive and you are planning on taking it to the track, you also need to plan for replacing the suspension. The xdrive rides very high and poorly over any road imperfections.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Bmw_Crazy
First Lieutenant
Mozambique
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:

The e90 328 with 3 stage will be ok and very relaible ... If you jump into a 335 faster yea but get ready to spend money...Read around the forum you will see..
Appreciate 0