E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Weird pull to the side while braking and cruise control fault

07-04-2022, 09:14 AM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Weird pull to the side while braking and cruise control fault

Hi guys,

Been a while since I have posted here. My BMW E90 330i 6MT has stood for about a month now, so yesterday I took her out for a run and within the first few minutes of driving, and as I braked for a speed bump I noticed the car pulling to the right to the point where I had to turn the steering wheel to the left. The steering wheel was a bit more off centre than normal when driving in a straight line, but under normal driving conditions, no pulling in any direction. My initial thought was that the tyres may need to be pumped up a bit with one of them maybe being a tad softer than the rest, but not enough to trigger the TPMS (still RFT's). So this morning I pumped the tyres up, albeit, they were actually fine. So again, felt the same pull to the right when braking. I then get onto a freeway and activate the cruise control, which is when I am greeted by a cruise control error symbol on the cluster. A bit further on I had to brake for a sweeping corner and the moment I did that I felt the car veer to the right. At that point I decided to turn around, not feeling that it's wise to continue driving like this. On the return leg I started to notice less issues with the car pulling to the right while braking. So at a traffic light I turned off the car and then restarted it to clear the error on the cluster. Tried the cruise control again, but again the error popped up. A bit later I took the car to fill up with fuel and on the way home I tried the cruise control again, and now it's working again.

So after doing some searching for possible causes of what I am experiencing, most point to a sticky brake caliper, which can either be constantly applying some brake force, or not applying enough (or any). The latter makes sense though, so that's then the left front brake caliper that would be the culprit. Plus, it would make sense that this would trigger the cruise control failure since these cars apply brakes when necessary for the cruise control. I do still suspect that there is a suspension issue, so will get that checked out again. I had the front and rear shocks replaced end of 2020 (Bilstein B4) along with front and rear stabiliser links and bushes, but nothing was reported as being needing replacement. However, since then I have noticed something shifts or bumps lightly when turning sharply left or right, or when edging in or out of my garage from an upward sloped driveway.

Anything else I should look at?

Appreciate 0