E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rotating Shocks

07-25-2022, 01:44 PM   #1
DeepCDiver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Rotating Shocks

Replaced my rear shocks last weekend and had real trouble torqueing the bottom bolt. The instructions and videos i've seen say to hold it whilst you torque it. I tried that and couldn't hold it in place.

I notice by the mount the shock has a hex section but I couldn't find a spanner in my collection that would hold it securely. In the end went with mole grips

Have I missed something or is there a tool for this purpose. It seems even with me holding the shock in place with both hands we couldn't get to the 60NM torque setting before the shock rotated
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Hmm, I've never had a problem with this.

I MAY have done the tops first but I can't say for sure as it just stayed in place when I held it.

I'd get the hex though if you aren't comfortable with the torque you have on it right now. Should be a couple bucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:10 PM   #3
DeepCDiver
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
Hmm, I've never had a problem with this.

I MAY have done the tops first but I can't say for sure as it just stayed in place when I held it.

I'd get the hex though if you aren't comfortable with the torque you have on it right now. Should be a couple bucks.
Thanks.....I'd already torqued up the tops. The hex is an odd size....tried every metric spanner and they either dont fit or are too loose. Tried adjustables and the space is too tight. Mole grips were the only solution for me but i hate using them as they damage the powder coat/paint
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:01 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCDiver View Post
Thanks.....I'd already torqued up the tops. The hex is an odd size....tried every metric spanner and they either dont fit or are too loose. Tried adjustables and the space is too tight. Mole grips were the only solution for me but i hate using them as they damage the powder coat/paint
I feel that. Sometimes you can use a channel lock with a rubber glove or duct tape around the shock/whatever you're trying to turn in the future. I've had decent luck with that when all else fails

If you chipped the paint, give it a little touch up or some fluid film
Appreciate 2
feuer4275.50