E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Chasing VANOS Codes, Please Help!

08-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #23
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue E90 330i MSport

UPDATE:

The new solenoids arrived so I installed them yesterday. After installing I ran the test for the solenoids in ISTA where it teaches in the stop-limits, then went for a drive. Although the engine felt smoother, something did still feel slightly off like the engine wasn't running at 100%. Later on I was looking through the menus in INPA and found an option to delete the VANOS adaptation values so the system has to relearn new values. Went for a drive after doing that and I'm happy to report that all seems well!

That said, the new solenoids have been in the car for less than 24hrs at this point so it's a little too early to say that the issues are completely solved, however I am optimistic.
Appreciate 1
Bims328i263.00
      08-17-2020, 09:56 AM   #24
Bims328i
DIYer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E90 SULEV

Great to hear!

Glad you finally got your new solenoids. I've since swapped my OEM ones, cleared adaptations and reinstalled them (thanks to swap idea from forum user!). At first it seemed to move to the intake side. I had cleared the DME module and I've ran it for about a week checking oil levels and such at the end of work trips, oil level is stable. Scanned it just today to check and it is no longer throwing any VANOS codes!

I'm actually surprised about the oil level because it seemed to leak a quart after I did the oil change and now after adding that back in it has remained full.

I didn't clean them btw. Just a swap. Imo the assembly has one of those plunger multi level valves so its not like you can get much of anything up there to clean. I am sort of stuck with these Vaico ones though since they've been installed. Why even sell them if they don't actually meet spec requirements. I know by experience the motor does not like them.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 06:19 PM   #25
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Great that you're no longer getting any codes!

Swapping is always a good way to deduce what is happening. And yeah, cleaning the solenoids can work but its kind of a bandaid solution and is only a temporary fix, replacement is inevitable so you may as well get new ones.

You'd think that Vaico would make high quality components being a German company but I guess they are chasing profit and don't care how their parts perform which is unfortunate. If they are working ok I'd keep using them for now, but maybe in future you can get some BMW ones if things start to go wrong again.
Appreciate 1
Bims328i263.00
      09-05-2020, 12:34 AM   #26
TassieBMW
Private
Australia
Rep

Final update

It's been nearly a month since I replaced both my VANOS solenoids with genuine BMW parts and since doing so I have had no more fault codes or issues symptomatic of the VANOS system.

I would advise anyone with an N52 engine who is experiencing issues such as those mentioned in prior posts in this thread to consider replacing both solenoids with genuine BMW components.

Before doing this, it is also worth ruling out other potential causes listed above such as the o-ring and cage inside the oil filter housing, VANOS check valves or camshaft and eccentric shaft sensor failures.

I hope this thread has served as a useful tool to anyone who's N52 is giving them trouble.
Appreciate 3
      03-14-2023, 12:17 AM   #27
mkamarga
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E46, E91, E92

Vanos Values

George! I finally made an account so I can pick your brain haha!

I have a quite similar vanos reading as the one you attached below. My question would be; is there a particular value that we need it to be? my reading current showing around 84 and the should be value is at the 120. i've cleaned the solenoids, and even swapped it to see if there are any changes, but it stays the same. have also changed the intake sensor, reset adaptations. any ideas? attached is my INPA screenshot.

thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
As you hopefully know, the VANOS Solenoids are electrically controlled to provide more or less oil flow/pressure to the VANOS Unit on each camshaft to Advance that Camshaft from a "Default Retarded" position. It would be helpful to see the "ACTUAL/Current" Camshaft Advance Position, as well as the "Setpoint" or Requested Camshaft Position.

Your two screens for P1554/2A98 (Intake VANOS Performance), and for P1553/2A99 (Exhaust VANOS Performance) do NOT show "Actual" and "Setpoint" or Target Value for either camshaft at the moment the Fault Code was saved. That information is in "Freeze Frame Data" saved in the DME along with Code & Code Details, and can be easily read using INPA. Presumably, it can also be read using a different ISTA screen from the one you show. NOTE that your ISTA screen for 2A87 DOES show Actual & Setpoint Cam Positions @ -83.5 & -68.5 degree CRK, respectively. THAT code suggests that at 2176 RPM and 94.5C engine conditions, you Exhaust VANOS was "stuck" in a position expected at idle or lower RPM.

If you have an "Endoscope" or USB port camera with including light that can be inserted into VC through Oil Filler Cap to examine status of your VANOS Bolts at timing chain sprockets, I would do that without delay. Amazon sells such a USB Endoscope in the range of $20.

However, BEFORE you panic over possible expensive VANOS bolt, cam ledge or other issues, I would suggest that you (1) Monitor Advance of EACH cam as live data, at different engine temps & RPM, and (2) Determine Conditions at which failure to provide proper advance occur. Your "Freeze Frame Data" in the two screens related to 2A98 & 2A99 are at 13C & 19C respectively and 1248 RPM, or less, presumably fast idle after cold engine start.

Oil is thickest (MOST Viscous) when cold, and gets thinner as it heats. Oil Pressure is lowest at low RPM. If you have a restricted oil passage in the oil gallery, those two conditions combine to result in reduced oil flow to one or both VANOS units, even if the VANOS Solenoids are operating correctly, resulting in "Over-retarded" cam timing on one or both cams.

So I would suggest that you BEGIN by:
1) Researching the proper procedure for DIY VANOS Solenoid Cleaning, and do that YOURSELF;
2) Research the PROPER fitment of the Oil Filter Housing components, particularly: (a) the Oil Filter Housing Cover and (b) attaching "Spool" that holds the filter element, and (c) the small O-ring that fits on the lower end of the "Spool". Then remove the Oil Filter Housing Cover, letting the oil drain from the filter element into the housing, and carefully inspecting the parts mentioned above, including making sure the filter element has NOT collapsed, the spool is present, and the small O-ring is on the end. If ANY of those is NOT correct, LOW oil pressure supply to the VANOS Units WILL occur, although that is normally noted at low RPM with HOT engine. Bears checking out if in doubt in YOUR case of cold start issue.

3) Learn about ISTA as to whether it can show "Live Data" of Camshaft Position and Setpoint Requested by DME, and use that to observe what is actually happening, and under WHAT engine conditions, resulting in the code being set. Since the Faults 2A98 & 2A99 seem to ONLY occur with a cold engine, that MAY be due to a wiring or connector fault that goes away with thermal expansion, and intermittent nature of fault may have NOTHING to do with oil temp/ viscosity.

ANYONE who can attach a ScreenPrint of ISTA Screen to show Live Data for VANOS. Several people have suggested ISTA is a powerful tool. I believe it is (INPA is TOO ;-) but I'd like to see some actual ScreenPrints from ISTA showing what it can do.

Attached is an INPA screen, DME > F6 Activations > F1 > F4 VANOS Control, from my late 2007 328xi N52KP with MSV80 DME. This ScreenPrint was saved with engine at idle and with VANOS under DME control. You can use this screen simply to OBSERVE function of the the DME Setpoints, Camshaft Position in Response, and Solenoid Valve Function related to providing the proper oil flow to the VANOS Units.

NO Diagnostic Equipment can actually tell you what the "Fault" is, whether in the wiring, Connector, Solenoid, Vanos Unit, etc., but it gives you the DATA that YOU have to use as clues to devise other tests, look for Temp/RPM relationships, etc.

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 0