E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Electrical issue: DME injector cut out, headlights flicker, car lurches on throttle l

10-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Electrical issue: DME injector cut out, headlights flicker, car lurches on throttle l

Good evening

I have developed an issue with my car today. it started and is noticeably getting worse. my first incident was when I was getting on the freeway on-ramp where they have one of those red light monitors, once the light turned green I honestly floored it to catch up with the speed of traffic. immediately the car started vibrating, however no check engine lights or limp mode. I plugged in my scanner and had a code to the effect of DME: injector cut out.

I was able to pull over, turn the car off, and turn it back on. The car went back to normal.

after that I drove the car pretty normally, but whenever I push the gas and got into some boost,
I noticed my headlights flickering on and off. while the headlights were flickering, the car was lurching at the same pulse of the headlights flickering.

all in a few hours of driving, this problem has gotten from noticeable, to extremely noticeable to the point where if I give it 30% throttle, the headlights are flickering the car is lurching.

I'm figuring this is an electrical issue where maybe the DME isn't getting sufficient power.

this is basically my wife's daily driver to and from work, so I have tomorrow to basically figure it out.

thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 01:44 AM   #2
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i N55

You have the exact error codes?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
You have the exact error codes?
29DC Injector cut out is the only code I got
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #4
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hpfp is usual suspect.. You should be able to log if you have capabilities to see ehat your pump is doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
jeddo45
Apprentice
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunafish View Post
Hpfp is usual suspect.. You should be able to log if you have capabilities to see ehat your pump is doing.
my hpfp would cause the headlights flashing and lurching that's coinciding with that?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #6
Tunafish
Banned
United_States
Rep

the lurching yes ... The headlight flashing, i couldn't say yes or no, just a guess is since the computer is shutting down injectors due to low high pressure fuel pump then engine rpms drop which makes alternator voltage drop in turn less voltage to headlights.. Might be far reach but everything else besides headlights is pointing to hpfp.. Logging will confirm..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
F31B48
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 E61 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
my hpfp would cause the headlights flashing and lurching that's coinciding with that?
What condition is your battery in? Have you checked the alternator charge rate while the engine is running? Should be around 14.2volts. Also check it under load eg. with the headlights, heater fan etc on. It should be around the 14volts mark as well. I would start there, that would explain the cutting out and headlight issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddo45 View Post
29DC Injector cut out is the only code I got
Do you have ANY scan tool or Diagnostic Software such as INPA that will give you a FULL Definition of that Hex-code AND/OR a Corresponding P-Code?

That code can indicate a HPFP issue OR a LPFP issue, and the ACTUAL DEFINITION and CORRESPONDING P-Code are critcal to being "pointed in the right direction".

For example here are 3 Different P-codes and Definitions for "29DC" according to Bentley:

P140E | 29DC | Cylinder Injection Cut Off, Fuel Level Too Low
P142E | 29DC | Cylinder Injection Cut Off, Pressure Too Low (High Pressure Fuel System)
P142F | 29DC | Cylinder Injection Cut Off, Pressure Too Low (low Pressure Fuel System)

So as I interpret the Bentley Definitions, that code COULD mean:
1) Your Low Pressure (Tank) Fuel Pump is NOT getting enough fuel in the Pickup area on the Right side of tank, either due to a LOW Fuel Level, OR due to a bad Jet Pump.
2) Your Low Pressure (Tank) Fuel Pump is failing to develop proper fuel pressure.
3) Your HPFP has issues.

INPA or ISTA would give Actual/Live Data on Fuel pump operation and pressure per the LP & HP sensors, as well as showing tank levels (BOTH sides of tank -- TWO level sensors, one on each side).

As EvaBmw suggests, the headlights flickering COULD be related to an Alternator issue, OR it may be related to the engine essentially "running out of gas" or lack of proper fuel pressure at the rail when higher load/RPM requires MORE fuel delivery. Check your battery voltage with engine off, and also check System Voltage with engine running. If voltage is NOT in the 13.5 to 14.8Volt Range with engine is running post back for tests for that.

On the limited information provided thus far, my SWAG would be an issue with Low Pressure Fuel Pump Delivery, but monitoring (1) Low Pressure Fuel Sensor signal, and (2) Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (HPFP pressure) signal, as well as getting proper P-Code or Hex-code Defintion would Focus the testing.

George
Appreciate 0