E90Post
 


Extreme Powerhouse
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #9901
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
608
Rep
2,103
Posts

Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewater328 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyDriveGerman View Post
Completely pulling the manifold makes the job way easier, unless you have the arm and hand of a 5 year old to reach in places you really can't see. Like I said, I like to take my time. That's not me poking fun, just saying, small hands needed to do it that way.
I actually unscrew the manifold, I just swap the DISA in place (pulling it slightly off and open) since its accessible vs taking it all the way out (and also avoiding disconnecting the noodles below that).
I guess you didn't change you intake manifold gaskets? Guess you'll be pulling the entire manifold when you have an air leak to replace them… cutting corners does not, I repeat, does not, save time.
Eh, touché I suppose. I think that's debatable if it's a complete one-time use compression item.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #9902
MPOWER5266
Major
4380
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Sunday I applied Mothers CMX ceramic spray coating on the Lexus. I have to say I'm impressed with the results. I've used nano coatings on rims before, but never on a cars body. Two days after applying, it rained, I can't believe how great this stuff works. I'll see how long this product holds up; expecting only a few months but we'll see. I'm expecting failure by spring will put an actual nano bonding ceramic coating on it then.

Edit: Started doing some digging to determine how long to expect this stuff to last and couldn't find anyone stating how long it lasted before the protection begins to fail. Aside from amazon reviews, which I don't trust, I couldn't find anyone with a clear answer.

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?
CMX Ceramic Spray Coating durability testing is still ongoing - currently it has outlasted all of our tests. For example, one of our test cars has been run through 100+ automatic drive-through brush car washes, as well as daily ocean salt air exposure. The panels show little to no degradation of the ceramic coating, still exhibiting superb shine and excellent hydrophobicity.

https://www.facebook.com/mothersusa/...1960840191274/

I have heard everything from it failing after 2 washes to it lasting months. I enjoy detailing as a hobby and I spend a lot of time researching and trying products. My current system for paint protection is Jescar powerlock sealant, two coats of Collinite 845 and I top it all with beadmaker as a drying aide. I can usually get 4-6 months before the Collinite starts to fail(I just add another coat as long as the paint is still fee of contamination) and about a year before strip washing and starting over with the sealant. I have used a few of those spray coatings and I have had poor results.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13037.00
      08-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #9903
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
13037
Rep
1,889
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPOWER5266 View Post
I have heard everything from it failing after 2 washes to it lasting months. I enjoy detailing as a hobby and I spend a lot of time researching and trying products. My current system for paint protection is Jescar powerlock sealant, two coats of Collinite 845 and I top it all with beadmaker as a drying aide. I can usually get 4-6 months before the Collinite starts to fail(I just add another coat as long as the paint is still fee of contamination) and about a year before strip washing and starting over with the sealant. I have used a few of those spray coatings and I have had poor results.
Hoping for the best here, but not expecting more than just a few months. Glad to hear someone with some detailing experience give some feedback. I read a few of the amazon reviews, but as stated before, I don't put much faith into those reviews as a person doesn't know the background of the individual writing the review. Perhaps their knowledge is inadequate, maybe they did not properly execute their prep, etc. A project is only going to yield positive results based on the individuals background, knowledge and understanding of what they are working with and what they are working on, along with the quality of the product they are using and most importantly the amount of effort that is put into their prep-work.

I used to detail cars on the side. Nothing crazy exotic, but typically only dealt with higher-end (for this area - BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's & Lexus' mostly) clientele. They always wanted a basic hand wash, wax & full interior detail. On a rare occasion, I would have someone who wanted something a little more resilient and time consuming. Those were the jobs I always enjoyed - trying new products and getting feedback from the customers on how they lasted. This is how I come to my love/hate relationship with Chemical Guys products. Always had good luck with Adams polishes. I had one customer that always wanted me to use Repel on his 135i. I had never heard of it before and tried to find it to post a link here. It was an odd little product. If I recall correctly, you put it on, let it bake in the sun and then let it set over night, then buff and polish. To me it seemed like a waste of his money and my time as I had to keep his car over night.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-21-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #9904
MPOWER5266
Major
4380
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Hoping for the best here, but not expecting more than just a few months. Glad to hear someone with some detailing experience give some feedback. I read a few of the amazon reviews, but as stated before, I don't put much faith into those reviews as a person doesn't know the background of the individual writing the review. Perhaps their knowledge is inadequate, maybe they did not properly execute their prep, etc. A project is only going to yield positive results based on the individuals background, knowledge and understanding of what they are working with and what they are working on, along with the quality of the product they are using and most importantly the amount of effort that is put into their prep-work.

I used to detail cars on the side. Nothing crazy exotic, but typically only dealt with higher-end (for this area - BMW's, Audi's, Infiniti's & Lexus' mostly) clientele. They always wanted a basic hand wash, wax & full interior detail. On a rare occasion, I would have someone who wanted something a little more resilient and time consuming. Those were the jobs I always enjoyed - trying new products and getting feedback from the customers on how they lasted. This is how I come to my love/hate relationship with Chemical Guys products. Always had good luck with Adams polishes. I had one customer that always wanted me to use Repel on his 135i. I had never heard of it before and tried to find it to post a link here. It was an odd little product. If I recall correctly, you put it on, let it bake in the sun and then let it set over night, then buff and polish. To me it seemed like a waste of his money and my time as I had to keep his car over night.
I used a lot of Adams stuff but I am starting to shy away from it. There are new products out there that work as well and cost less. Adams is also starting to use the Chemical guys marketing playbook and while their products are better, it kinda turns me off. I still love their car shampoo though.

I haven't heard of Repel but it sounds strange.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13037.00
      08-21-2019, 12:45 PM   #9905
dakine_surf
Lieutenant
dakine_surf's Avatar
427
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Santa Barbara/Modena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Sunday I applied Mothers CMX ceramic spray coating on the Lexus. I have to say I'm impressed with the results. I've used nano coatings on rims before, but never on a cars body. Two days after applying, it rained, I can't believe how great this stuff works. I'll see how long this product holds up; expecting only a few months but we'll see. I'm expecting failure by spring will put an actual nano bonding ceramic coating on it then.

Edit: Started doing some digging to determine how long to expect this stuff to last and couldn't find anyone stating how long it lasted before the protection begins to fail. Aside from amazon reviews, which I don't trust, I couldn't find anyone with a clear answer.

From Mother's website:
How long does it last?
CMX Ceramic Spray Coating durability testing is still ongoing - currently it has outlasted all of our tests. For example, one of our test cars has been run through 100+ automatic drive-through brush car washes, as well as daily ocean salt air exposure. The panels show little to no degradation of the ceramic coating, still exhibiting superb shine and excellent hydrophobicity.

https://www.facebook.com/mothersusa/...1960840191274/

Interesting... I saw this recently and figured I'd give it a go. I want to do a good ceramic coating but time has been my hindering factor. I just haven't had a chance to get any of my daily's pulled into the garage to do some decent paint correction, clay, anything... so this might be an option until I can devote 20-40 hrs into a full paint correction and then a ceramic coating like Cquartz.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13037.00
      08-21-2019, 12:56 PM   #9906
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
King Rudi's Avatar
13037
Rep
1,889
Posts

Drives: Meat Suit
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Planet Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Interesting... I saw this recently and figured I'd give it a go. I want to do a good ceramic coating but time has been my hindering factor. I just haven't had a chance to get any of my daily's pulled into the garage to do some decent paint correction, clay, anything... so this might be an option until I can devote 20-40 hrs into a full paint correction and then a ceramic coating like Cquartz.
This was my problem also. I typically wax mine about once a month. I figured this would buy me some time, until spring, so I could do a proper ceramic coating. Let me know what you think once you have it on and how long it takes before you start to see it fail.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:30 PM   #9907
dakine_surf
Lieutenant
dakine_surf's Avatar
427
Rep
598
Posts

Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Santa Barbara/Modena

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
This was my problem also. I typically wax mine about once a month. I figured this would buy me some time until spring so I could do a proper ceramic coating without having to wax so often in the meantime. Let me know what you think once you have it on and how long it takes before you start to see it fail.
I don't wax as often as you... maybe twice a year. So I wash every week, or just about... I don't reapply anything other than using ONR wash and wax in a quick detail solution as a drying aid after I use the Coin-Op.

When my wax is fresh, ONR does a great job at keeping the car looking good in-between washes. I love ONR as a clay bar lube and quick detailer... never really use it as directed as a 2 bucket wash soap since washing your car in your driveway is technically illegal in my town.

But I notice after a couple of months the wax begins to fail and the ONR looks great for a day or two after a wash but isn't keeping the car as hydophobic between washes as I would like.

I doubt I will have a chance to actually break out the polisher and do a full corrective on the car before winter... but a clay bar and this Mothers product seem feasible.

Technically the paint on my front bumper is actually starting to fail, so I need a respray anyway. I'm actually super bummed about it... there was nothing there 6 months ago, and now it's starting to chip off and there was never any damage done, the paint has just started to fail and the car was always garaged and has only seen the rain a handful of times since I drive my truck when it gets wet outside.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13037.00
      08-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #9908
unrulyteach
Colonel
unrulyteach's Avatar
United_States
383
Rep
2,483
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: myrtle beach sc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_Rudi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
That's a good bang for ur buck i personally think it's better than the meguiars hybrid ceramic
I honestly bought it on a whim. I was out of wax and thought I would try something different this time. Due to my work schedule and the weather, I hadn't been able to apply it until this past weekend. I did clay and IPA the entire car before applying. Weather permitting, I will most likely stack it this weekend with another coat, as I barely used any of the contents of the spray bottle. Stupid easy to apply. Highly recommend this stuff!
I haven't washed my car in about a month since i applied it, weather is all over the place and i don't hav time sometimes, but it held up great
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13037.00
      08-21-2019, 05:43 PM   #9909
SyCoREAPER
New Member
0
Rep
10
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Installed SRI and am borderline regretting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 07:21 PM   #9910
Sgop335
Colonel
Sgop335's Avatar
United_States
602
Rep
2,074
Posts

Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: MD

iTrader: (1)

535i

Not today but recently, new 17" rims 17x8 and 17x9. Heavy weight came w 18x8 et20 and 18x9 et 32 took a chance. Suckers weigh 16-17 lbs
Attached Images
 
__________________
07 335i 0-60 3.5s
08 535i 1/4mi 11.8s #3 dragy
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 10:12 PM   #9911
evo213f10
Private First Class
evo213f10's Avatar
24
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Did the Euro split armrest. Best interior mod to date. Absolutely loving it. To those who are still undecided.......do it! I know the color I a bit off, but the seller did say it was grey leather. I doubt anyone would care....because I don't. Color is somewhat close enough.
Attached Images
      
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 12:50 AM   #9912
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
6ixSpd's Avatar
Canada
5872
Rep
6,673
Posts

Drives: '11 E91 328xi Touring
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: 416

iTrader: (4)

That looks extremely different than your grey interior. It's Palladium Silver from the E9X M interiors.

That said, it is definitely a worthy mod.
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended


Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 08:05 AM   #9913
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
1976
Rep
3,338
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
That looks extremely different than your grey interior. It's Palladium Silver from the E9X M interiors.

That said, it is definitely a worthy mod.
Would have been better off with a black sprit arm rest, than this grey.

This colour definitely does not compliment his grey in any way. I personally would not use it if i was in his shoes regardless of how worthy the mod is.

Silver accents, wood grain brown trim, carbon fiber shifter trim, black hand brake handle....just too much going on already and now this too.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5871.50
      08-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #9914
WatchWolf34
Because Racecar
123
Rep
268
Posts

Drives: 2009 E90 335i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Minnesota

iTrader: (1)

Got the M Sport front bumper painted and installed. I've been wanting this look since I first started researching these
cars for purchase a few years back and I've finally got it. Very happy with the quality of paint and install and happy that
my shop was able to make the PDC work.

Finished it off with a shmexy Seibon AK style carbon fiber lip. I love the subtle aggressiveness. It's definitely not a
ground-breaking modification but it's tried and true. You can see the before shot in my signature and I feel that there's
just no comparison.

Just a crappy iphone picture - I'll add better stuff later but needed to snap this after the wash last night.

Name:  M Sport_internet.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  82.4 KB
__________________
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #9915
vilord
Major
354
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: Too many
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I stopped looking for an e91 tailgate because i was being cheap.

Today, I resumed that search.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #9916
MPOWER5266
Major
4380
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: 1997 Dinan m3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Ga

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I stopped looking for an e91 tailgate because i was being cheap.

Today, I resumed that search.
Damn!!! I did see this the other day on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-2...0AAOSwb8Vbu1OP
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #9917
nsjames
Brigadier General
2388
Rep
4,308
Posts

Drives: 08 328xi Touring
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ohio

iTrader: (0)

ooof.

note to self, take care of tail gate.
looks like it's gonna get a shit ton o cavity wax errrrrrrywhere.
Appreciate 1
4 Doors980.50
      08-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #9918
tlow98
Brigadier General
1845
Rep
4,432
Posts

Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (2)

yikes, wonder if us west coasters will suffer this fate!? it's every gen wagon it seems - so strange
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 06:50 PM   #9919
evo213f10
Private First Class
evo213f10's Avatar
24
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: 2013 535i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
That looks extremely different than your grey interior. It's Palladium Silver from the E9X M interiors.

That said, it is definitely a worthy mod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
That looks extremely different than your grey interior. It's Palladium Silver from the E9X M interiors.

That said, it is definitely a worthy mod.
I thought E9X only had one shade of the grey interior. Had no idea e9x m also had a silver leather interior. It doesn't bother me like I said. The extra armrest is definitely sweet for the driver.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:18 PM   #9920
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Welcome to NBA Jam's Avatar
3621
Rep
5,058
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

New steering wheel trim + buttons from another car.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 09:23 PM   #9921
vilord
Major
354
Rep
1,173
Posts

Drives: Too many
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
ooof.

note to self, take care of tail gate.
looks like it's gonna get a shit ton o cavity wax errrrrrrywhere.
Pull off the plastic trim on the edges of the tailgate next to/under the glass. that's where the rust forms; that stupid plastic thing holds dirty damp salty goo against the metal, then it is just a matter of time. I'm not going to put the cover back on once i find a good one.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #9922
unrulyteach
Colonel
unrulyteach's Avatar
United_States
383
Rep
2,483
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i
Join Date: May 2016
Location: myrtle beach sc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I stopped looking for an e91 tailgate because i was being cheap.

Today, I resumed that search.
Wow
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST