E90Post
 


Coby Wheel
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What did you do to your car today?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2022, 07:35 AM   #20835
neilvan
Major
neilvan's Avatar
Canada
788
Rep
1,275
Posts

Drives: 09 E90 335i M-Sport 6MT RWD
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
Let us know if it makes any difference

I'd prefer to put off buying a UUC as far as possible lol
I mean its not for my car so who knows how much driving time Ill get in it.

That being said its a similar difference as to the rwd non-sport to sport suspension front swaybar so I'm sure it'll make some difference
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2022, 12:01 PM   #20836
Hoody007
Captain
United_States
472
Rep
626
Posts

Drives: 335i LCI, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Dunwoody, GA & Boston, MA

iTrader: (0)

Got the car back with the new Koni SAs.

Absolutely phenomenal! Handles just like the Bilstein Yellows, but with none of the harshness.

Will post a full review later. But, really, wow!
Appreciate 6
      06-21-2022, 04:42 AM   #20837
jwalther
Enlisted Member
63
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2011 E91
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lexington, KY

iTrader: (0)

Cheap mod.

__________________
2011 E91 328xi N52, Black Sapphire Metallic/Dakota Chestnut; 3 Stage Manifold, AFE Headers and Intake; Stage FP Tune; BMW Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 3
      06-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #20838
E93Dude
First Lieutenant
E93Dude's Avatar
United_States
236
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93 MT6
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: The Old Dominion

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
Cheap mod.

How much HP boost does that get you?….
__________________
BMW: Doing Amazing(ly cheap) Things With Plastic (crap) Since the E90...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 09:10 PM   #20839
apexit4
Major
Poland
1214
Rep
1,100
Posts

Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Finally got around to cleaning up my pitted and faded headlights. Bought a Sylvania headlight polish kit but in the end decided to do it differently based on some research I had done. Progressively worked my way from 400 to 600 to 800 grit. Oddly 800 took the longest to get the sanding just right. And thats where I decided to change things up. Ive heard great things about 2k clear coat and decided to use it instead of the protective coating in the Sylvania kit. Those coatings only seem to last (supposedly) a couple of years or so and I wanted a more permanent solution.

Overall, Im very pleased with the result. There is some orange peel that I have to buff out but I need to do more research and work up the courage to start sanding the results of 6 hours of my time. Seems 2000 grit and compound/polish should do the trick but......yeah, I'm a little worried since its my first time with this.

Edit: Anyone have a cheap orbital buffer they can recommend? Thinking of getting one of the cheaper 7" buffers from Harbor Freight. Kicking myself for not thinking of picking one up this weekend with their 20% off coupon!
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 10
Mike K133.50
Buug95910121.50
tcphoto2502.50
Wolf 3351976.00
dephrank220.50
fazm354.50
feuer4081.00
      06-22-2022, 04:36 AM   #20840
jwalther
Enlisted Member
63
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2011 E91
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Lexington, KY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
How much HP boost does that get you?.
Dunno. . .it was this or supercharge
__________________
2011 E91 328xi N52, Black Sapphire Metallic/Dakota Chestnut; 3 Stage Manifold, AFE Headers and Intake; Stage FP Tune; BMW Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 05:11 PM   #20841
Snail
New Member
Snail's Avatar
15
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW e93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I bought a set of style 290 wheels from a 2012 Z4 with 40k miles on them to replace my heavily damaged and dented style 157 wheels. Swapped the rear wheels to get a good idea of how it would look and Im starting to like them.


Also, my battery is dead and having never replaced a BMW battery does any one have recommendations regarding battery registration? I hear it can be done via smartphone app. I do have a K+DCAN cable but unfortunately no access to INPA.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #20842
tcphoto
Colonel
tcphoto's Avatar
United_States
2503
Rep
2,652
Posts

Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

I have purchased my last three batteries at Autozone for about $200 each and registered them on Carly for BMW. The app is about $50 plus the battery module for $40. The Wi-Fi module was $75 for a used unit but I used a $15 module for years until they killed the connection.
__________________
Appreciate 1
Snail15.00
      06-22-2022, 06:09 PM   #20843
E93Dude
First Lieutenant
E93Dude's Avatar
United_States
236
Rep
335
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93 MT6
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: The Old Dominion

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have purchased my last three batteries at Autozone for about $200 each and registered them on Carly for BMW. The app is about $50 plus the battery module for $40. The Wi-Fi module was $75 for a used unit but I used a $15 module for years until they killed the connection.
Not to go too far off topic, but I've Never been a fan of iCarly. App was expensive for what it did, but at least it never forced me to use its proprietary dongle. The main reason I don't use it any more is that it would not function without an active internet connection. Why does iCarly need to know my IP address and location in order to tell me what codes my car is throwing or if I need to register a battery? I don't care about its connected services anyway. Privacy overreach. I absolutely HATE business models that are predicated on knowing where I am or what's going on on my phone at any particular time.

SO, I got the much more capable Protool.
__________________
BMW: Doing Amazing(ly cheap) Things With Plastic (crap) Since the E90...
Appreciate 4
Dpc2u9160.50
Snail15.00
Wolf 3351976.00
E92only53.00
      06-22-2022, 07:02 PM   #20844
tcphoto
Colonel
tcphoto's Avatar
United_States
2503
Rep
2,652
Posts

Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nashville, TN

iTrader: (0)

I can see how you came to that conclusion, I bought the app and cheap Amazon Wi-Fi module and added the battery option later. By the time they disabled the cheap module I was in too deep to change course.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #20845
Snail
New Member
Snail's Avatar
15
Rep
28
Posts

Drives: 2007 BMW e93 328i
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have purchased my last three batteries at Autozone for about $200 each and registered them on Carly for BMW. The app is about $50 plus the battery module for $40. The Wi-Fi module was $75 for a used unit but I used a $15 module for years until they killed the connection.
Oh man, I read Autozone as Amazon. Kinda confused me lol. Thanks for the advice I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 08:53 PM   #20846
bman142
New Member
45
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 2008 E91 328xi mt
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Boston Area

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Today I replaced my Fuel Pressure Regulator. Started to smell gas outside rear left side, and I noticed the tank was wet underneath. Fairly common issue I guess. This was very helpful DIY - https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004917
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 12:49 AM   #20847
StradaRedlands
Lieutenant
StradaRedlands's Avatar
United_States
583
Rep
538
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalther View Post
Cheap mod.

It's officially a club!

Thanks @JDNY516


Last edited by StradaRedlands; 06-23-2022 at 10:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 09:07 AM   #20848
John 070
Lieutenant General
1626
Rep
14,825
Posts

Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

I don't drive my car daily, and I drove it to work yesterday. Doesn't matter that it's going to be 16. Car is a blast to drive today, as it was brand new! and I have my mismatched tow hook cover too lol

Even though the paint is nice on the primed cover I bought, it doesn't truly match...what you gonna do? I didn't read it all but the paperwork that came with the paint said it's likely to happen etc. Reminds me of body work, but then again the tow hook cover is so small it's not as if too many would notice
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 09:32 AM   #20849
John 070
Lieutenant General
1626
Rep
14,825
Posts

Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Dude View Post
Not to go too far off topic, but I've Never been a fan of iCarly. App was expensive for what it did, but at least it never forced me to use its proprietary dongle. The main reason I don't use it any more is that it would not function without an active internet connection. Why does iCarly need to know my IP address and location in order to tell me what codes my car is throwing or if I need to register a battery? I don't care about its connected services anyway. Privacy overreach. I absolutely HATE business models that are predicated on knowing where I am or what's going on on my phone at any particular time.

SO, I got the much more capable Protool.
wasn't there actually a question on whether anything really happened when a battery were registered or coded, either it was this app or Foxwell or something...that's a potential issue when we rely upon a front end, not sure what's going on behind the scenes...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #20850
codeterrorist
New Member
35
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Switched from runflats on the X1... holy driving-over-clouds!
The difference is night and day.

Will be doing the same for my 3 series, this one will have an even more noticeable impact (pun intended).

And got the 3 series back from the shop after noticing oil drips a few days ago. Haven't seen oil leaks on it since I picked it up brand new in 2011. So this VCG was on it's way out long time ago. I only have 57,000 kilometers on it.
Appreciate 3
      06-23-2022, 01:36 PM   #20851
Serf27
Colonel
Serf27's Avatar
United_States
1354
Rep
2,639
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Sitting in a BMW.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Finally got around to cleaning up my pitted and faded headlights. Bought a Sylvania headlight polish kit but in the end decided to do it differently based on some research I had done. Progressively worked my way from 400 to 600 to 800 grit. Oddly 800 took the longest to get the sanding just right. And thats where I decided to change things up. Ive heard great things about 2k clear coat and decided to use it instead of the protective coating in the Sylvania kit. Those coatings only seem to last (supposedly) a couple of years or so and I wanted a more permanent solution.

Overall, Im very pleased with the result. There is some orange peel that I have to buff out but I need to do more research and work up the courage to start sanding the results of 6 hours of my time. Seems 2000 grit and compound/polish should do the trick but......yeah, I'm a little worried since its my first time with this.

Edit: Anyone have a cheap orbital buffer they can recommend? Thinking of getting one of the cheaper 7" buffers from Harbor Freight. Kicking myself for not thinking of picking one up this weekend with their 20% off coupon!
Looks great! And good decision going with 2K clear coat. That will last a long time.

You can remove the orange peel with 2K grit sand paper, as long as you have 3 coats of clear on there. You will basically be sanding off 1 coat to remove the orange peel.
The HF 7 buffer is great. I have it and have the 5 Random orbital buffer.
BUT, I dont like using them on headlights, unless the bumper is removed because the wheel is too big to fit into the small areas.
I use a small 3 buffing pad attached to a drill.
I bought a kit similar to this one.
Holikme 20Piece Drill Brush Attachments Set, Scrub Pads & Sponge, Buffing Pads, Power Scrubber Brush with Extend Long Attachment, Car Polishing Pad Kit https://a.co/d/budZISd

Use some meguiars buffing compound and you can follow with meguiars polish.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 03:19 PM   #20852
Badwolf1970
New Member
27
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: E91 330d msport
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Gloucester

iTrader: (0)

Wheel refurbishment

Wheel strip and powder coat
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 10
Wolf 3351976.00
4 Doors980.50
fazm354.50
Buug95910121.50
Dpc2u9160.50
      06-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #20853
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Wolf 335's Avatar
Canada
1976
Rep
3,338
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA - Greater Toronto Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf1970 View Post
Wheel strip and powder coat
Ouff looking nice with that color combo.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 03:27 PM   #20854
Badwolf1970
New Member
27
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: E91 330d msport
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Gloucester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf1970 View Post
Wheel strip and powder coat

Ouff looking nice with that color combo.
Thank you, didn't want black as I didn't want to lose the wheels.
Appreciate 1
Wolf 3351976.00
      06-23-2022, 04:31 PM   #20855
Want_1
Private
United_States
41
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: Spec V
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (0)

Had my coolant expansion tank leaking for a few weeks now, and finally got around to replacing it.

Next up power steering tank and fluid, spark plugs and coil packs.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #20856
fazm
Second Lieutenant
fazm's Avatar
355
Rep
211
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW E91 xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badwolf1970 View Post
Wheel strip and powder coat
Looks awesome! Wheels/car combo is perfect

The curves of the light and the fender make it look like you have some kind of side snorkel vent lol
Appreciate 1
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST