E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Winter Tyres

12-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #155
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post

You lot get buying your wives/partners winter tyres then if they're so wonderful? You better do and practice what you preach or aren't they worth bothering about?
What?? We are getting them fitted as WE see the benefits and my wife isnt stubbornly ignoring the fact that they will improve the winter performance on any car to which they are fitted.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #156
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Am I wrong, did you not mention East Yorks??
You're not wrong I did and no you haven't upset me.....wrong word that would imply hurt feelings - not the case. Pissed off more like! Fine you drive over to Easington christ they've had n'owt that side in comparison. It's all in the west side and NE Lincs. 4 inches last night on top of everything else and it's ice - snow - ice - snow - ice now heavily compacted, bloody nightmare in the west Hull villages. Your car and mine has not got the ground clearance to get through some of the streets as they are now. Main roads are clearing but major icy patches but it's getting out onto the main road! I am not exaggerating.

So you're fitting them to your wife's car now then, this winter? I'd read you were thinking about it and it came across as next winter maybe. My point was and is, are the others who now have winter tyres forked out for their loved ones and fitted their cars with winter tyres yet as in now.

I'm not stubborn, but nor do I tolerate being dictated to as it creates contempt tbh. I've got some work to do as lo and behold not many in today!!!

BTW: The pics you posted categorically do not reflect the current road conditions to which I refer. Those roads in your pics look like my street and others did approx. 3 days ago now.

Last edited by beemerbird; 12-03-2010 at 03:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #157
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
      12-03-2010, 03:13 AM   #158
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

Im sorry again, but I dont get to Easington by Helicopter. I do drive over there and I do understand that areas have a lot of snow.
You shouldnt be pissed off, if Ive made you feel that way then I apologise.
Finally the reason I my wife and I are buying winters for her car now is that its only now that Ive had the opportunity to try them that we both see the value and therefore its only now that we have got to the stage of ordering them.
I wont comment again except to say that Ive actually driven for some time now on both summer and winter tyres and therefore feel that I have something to add along with all the other contributors who have found them so good. Remember this is a BMW forum not an Audi or Landrover one, so their input into the usefulness of winters is more appropriate to those still in doubt than your input re the wonders of the Audi 4x4 system or your hubbies Landrover.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #159
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
Im sorry again, but I dont get to Easington by Helicopter. I do drive over there and I do understand that areas have a lot of snow.
You shouldnt be pissed off, if Ive made you feel that way then I apologise.
Finally the reason I my wife and I are buying winters for her car now is that its only now that Ive had the opportunity to try them that we both see the value and therefore its only now that we have got to the stage of ordering them.
I wont comment again except to say that Ive actually driven for some time now on both summer and winter tyres and therefore feel that I have something to add along with all the other contributors who have found them so good. Remember this is a BMW forum not an Audi or Landrover one, so their input into the usefulness of winters is more appropriate to those still in doubt than your input re the wonders of the Audi 4x4 system or your hubbies Landrover.
No wonders to any quattro system imo and I've never said as such, you still slide on ice but then that's stating the obvious! But yes, I understand the intended sarcasm. I'm glad you can actually get about in the levels of snow you currently have.

As for the Landrover well that IS without doubt extremely capable in the present conditions but then you will know that of course.

I am not married so hubby is very inappropriate. But I'm glad wifey is being catered for.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #160
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Hence in countries where they annually have bad winters they fit studded tyres.
They have 'annual' bad winters every year in most of the EU and regular winter tyres are fine.

Studs are only used in the most extreme areas of high altitude or very cold aread where pack ice persists on roads for any length of time (Alpine areas or scandinavia etc). In these areas they don't even attempt to clear the ice they just leave it there for months at a time. In out-of-town Norway etc you can brush the snow aside on the road surface and see the road markings underneath 12 inches of crytal clear shimmering pack ice - that's where you need studs.

In Switzerland where I lived (and many parts of EU) they have (obviously) metres of snow and very low temps (-20 or worse regularly) every single year like clockwork and no one has studs execpt those who live at altitude or in rural areas away from ploughed roads. Normal Winter tyres are fine for all but persistant ice and/or steep hills.

If you have studded tyres, the studs are retractable and 'pop' out at speed or when the wheel spins, this enables limited use on tarmac (where permitted), but they are very noisy

But having said that, you're right in that no tyres are any good if the snow if so deep you car is acting as a snow plough!!

That's what the Swissers always said - If its that bad you need a 4wd (off roader type, not slick shod sports car type) - stay at home or walk!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #161
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M135i

Quote:
My point was and is, are the others who now have winter tyres forked out for their loved ones and fitted their cars with winter tyres yet as in now.
Yes I bought a set for her car - money well spent (even if she doesn't think so).
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #162
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

The missus has a FWD civic with fairly low performance tyres that are ok-ish in the snow, she only drives 3 miles in the city area to work, so we couldn't justify the outlay.

But when we move into the sticks next year though we'll definitely be getting her a set of winter wheels - a necessity IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #163
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
The missus has a FWD civic with fairly low performance tyres that are ok-ish in the snow, she only drives 3 miles in the city area to work, so we couldn't justify the outlay.

But when we move into the sticks next year though we'll definitely be getting her a set of winter wheels - a necessity IMO.
She's an NHS radiographer with a 40 minute commute (around the edge of Dartmoor) and insists on trying to get into work regardless of the weather.
Hate the thought of her getting stuck or worse
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #164
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
My point was and is, are the others who now have winter tyres forked out for their loved ones and fitted their cars with winter tyres yet as in now.
Trying to get a set but availability is virtually zero - was hoping to get a set off Steve next door to me at work, but the only ones that came in the right 18" size for Karen's Passat CC got fitted to his Merc! The only ones I can get in the correct size are some chinese unbranded ones which will be better in this weather, but worry what they will be like when the weather improves. I want a tyre that will perform in the mixed weather from Nov-March.

The only plus point is that because her tyres are literally brand new they seem to be doing an 'OK' job at dealing with the snow but are obviously crap on the ice. Having now witnessed what winter tyres can do, I defo want to shod her car in them too.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 03:57 AM   #165
swanny71
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I was lucky, seems that 185/65/15 is a common size in Europe and mytyres had stock - Vredestein Quatrac 3
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 06:19 AM   #166
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I'd be very surprised if you have as much snow as we've had in NE Scotland....

Don't want to get into any childish arguments but my wifes safety is absolutely paramount, her mini had winter tyres fitted before my BMW! From now on any car I own will have proper tyres fitted for winter.

The difference isn't just in traction, braking/cornering is massively improved. I took both cars out side by side when the BMW still had summer tyres and when coming to a standstill it was sliding around, the mini on the other hand stopped with no problem. Have done the same on the same patch of road since with the BMW's winters fitted and it stopped with no problem this time.

Quote:
If you want to have a childish dig do it directly and be a man about it ok!

Did I bollocks say East Yorks. and you know it so stop trying to be clever. Think about it - you should have the brains to realise which countries, but then of course you do.

You lot get buying your wives/partners winter tyres then if they're so wonderful? You better do and practice what you preach or aren't they worth bothering about?

Unless you've actually been across here and seen how much snow there is, don't comment.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #167
nicko44
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydrama View Post
....... braking/cornering is massively improved. I took both cars out side by side...
That's impressive, wish I could do that
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #168
jonnydrama
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko44 View Post
That's impressive, wish I could do that
Should have said both cars one after the other if it was too difficult to understand
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 06:09 AM   #169
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
Quote:
But not to the extent that you can think you can drive normally!

Yes the vid showed a BMW for each example.

I don't dispute they allow you better cornering when the car is RWD trying to push you and by default you have steerage problems as the front wheels are not rotating at the same speed as the rears. Steerage at low speeds on ice for me is controllable (if you listen to feedback from the steering wheel) as the car is pulling and pushing.

Any of us hit black ice at too high a speed then you're going to have to know how to control the car - simple as. Just don't push your luck.
You would have to be an idiot if you think you can drive normally in this weather on snow tyres. And as for black ice, hit it at speed I doubt if any normal driver would have the control or enough road space to correct it, note I said normal driver. There are many out there with the experience and skill to control the car but I would be fucked, even with winter tyres
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 11:35 AM   #170
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Here's a couple of pics. One with black steelies with Conti TS830P and the same fitted with BMW plastic wheel covers and logo. (£60 the set)
Much as I tried, could not get myself to like the Le Mans Blue with black wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #171
chrislad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 520ed

looks alright with those trims on, mind you i thought it looked quite cool with the black rims! how you getting on with the winters? make a big difference?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #172
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislad View Post
looks alright with those trims on, mind you i thought it looked quite cool with the black rims! how you getting on with the winters? make a big difference?
Big dif! Feel I can go out now in any snow/ice conditions. Its a nice feeling.
Ground clearance is the only prob. Powder snow OK, I don't mind a bit of snow plowing, but not when the snow hardens!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 11:32 AM   #173
Sukey
Rep
Drives: E93 325i

FIRST and FOREMOST: A vote of thanks to all those on the forum offering really useful insight and advice on buying winter rims and tyres. I've sourced a really cracking set of rims, for which I now 'just' need winter tyres, which are now the equivalent of rocking horse poo. Ah well, am on a waiting list for a range of the tyres you guys have recommended.

SECONDLY and rather more upsettingly:

For those of you still hunting winter tyres, a word of caution.

Delticom (MyTyres) were advertising decent Kumhos for 17" rims last week at £85.00 or thereabouts. Seemed like a good deal, so I bought and paid via Paypal.

24 hours later they notify me they don't actually have the tyres in stock and offer a 'deal' of inferior tyres for about £30 more per tyre.

I'm lucky and have another car already fitted with winter tyres and 4x4, so could afford to say no thanks. However, they took the Paypal payment anyway and have not refunded, despite several calls and confirmation from them that they've cancelled the order.

They allege they've refunded to Paypal, but neither my account, nor Paypal when spoken to direct, can trace any refund at all. Delticom are not responding to email contact, nor to a dispute lodged on Paypal.

So unless you can be without the cost of your tyres for the 10-30 days it takes to resolve disputes, be very careful who you buy from.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #174
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Been driving around with the plastic wheel covers on the black steel wheelies with winter tyres.
The wheel covers are now off: the prob is that they are easy to put on and easy to take off.
So, as recommended by the local dealer, its cable ties. It's looks absolute rubbish!
It's a load off my mind, I like the black wheels after all!
Appreciate 0