E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 headlight advice please

12-16-2018, 04:21 AM   #23
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
Strange. That FRM is the FRM3 basis which is factory fitted to vehicles with Halogen headlights.

I know I asked you this before but are you 100% sure those headlights are genuine xenon headlights?

Xenons should come with XE for Standard xenon AHL for AHL xenon or MAX Brose for everything...

The BASIS can be coded for xenon however...but it's not the OEM way.

Either way. They look rubbish. Sorry, but they do. The DTM angel eyes only look good with an LED eyebrow above them.

Buy some used headlights and a coding cable. You don't need to send them off. It's a simple job.
The headlights definitely aren't xenon headlights. The part number is for pre lci halogen lights. Someone has opened them up and put the angel lights in and xenon reflectors. My thinking it should have had xenon is that it has headlight washers cable tied up underneath. So are you saying to buy xenon headlights or just halogen? Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #24
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3tribut10n View Post
This was what was controlling my halogen lights before the retrofit and on the right is what is now controlling my xenons
This is a mine field for me
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:36 AM   #25
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d se

The easiest and cheapest option is to switch to halogen lights, (around £200 max) it will need to be coded from xenon to halogen possibly as I’m not sure what lights they are from pics

Option b is around (£1300)

Frm 3 around £140 to £170 (max brose is best)
Complete xenon lights with ballasts (£650 to £750)

You will need to check if you have the front and rear leveling sensors (nsf passenger front and rear)

If not £60ish for both sensors

Then you come to the retrofit your looking around £300 ish, that’s new wiring and fitting and coding it to your car

The light switch you can pick up for £60ish if you don’t have the automatic position on yours (this makes your lights come on and off and dim depending on the darkness level
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #26
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Option a sounds best for my wallet! I get a right dipped beam failure message even tho all the lights work now. If it required coding would they just not work or would it throw up errors? I have the automatic lights switch.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:02 AM   #27
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodsie75 View Post
Option a sounds best for my wallet! I get a right dipped beam failure message even tho all the lights work now. If it required coding would they just not work or would it throw up errors? I have the automatic lights switch.
Ok I would say you have a loose wire or the wire has come out of the headlight

Your car should be set up for xenons now and not halogen but I can’t guarantee what the previous owner has done to your electrics.
I have the frm 2 in my lci e90 when it was running halogen but you have a basic frm 3 as Sensible_ mentions so I expect the fitter didn’t read up on everything before swapping the lights out

As I was told you can only pic 1 option when coding your car either halogen or xenon you can’t have both options
Example is you have halogen lights and you swap to xenon and then you turn on your lights they will flicker as they are not set up for use (different voltage I suspect)

I have my complete lci halogen set up I will be listing at some point
Attached Images

Last edited by R3tribut10n; 12-16-2018 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:21 AM   #28
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3tribut10n View Post
Ok I would say you have a loose wire or the wire has come out of the headlight

Your car should be set up for xenons now and not halogen but I can’t guarantee what the previous owner has done to your electrics.
I have the frm 2 in my lci e90 when it was running halogen but you have a basic frm 3 as Sensible_ mentions so I expect the fitter didn’t read up on everything before swapping the lights out

As I was told you can only pic 1 option when coding your car either halogen or xenon you can’t have both options
Example is you have halogen lights and you swap to xenon and then you turn on your lights they will flicker as they are not set up for use (different voltage I suspect)

I have my complete lci halogen set up I will be listing at some point
They are a cheap aftermarket xenon set up. Wires and boxes everywhere! Does my head in. When I first start the car they flicker like mad for about 5 seconds (it's like being at a rave gm the 80's) but then they work fine
I may well be interested in your lights .
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 05:43 AM   #29
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

The guy who retrofitted mine added wires to my xenon lights rather than cut in to another wire, which an electrician shouldn’t do, it takes longer because you feed the wire through the grommet (like the other wires) to the frm

You could have always swapped your current xenon lights to pre lci xenon but again they hold there value too

Ps here’s a couple of pics to show previous work I had done (this was cic and folding mirrors retrofit)
Attached Images

Last edited by R3tribut10n; 12-16-2018 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #30
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

That is major surgery!! I just want to able to see in the dark!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #31
R3tribut10n
Private
Rep

Quote:
That is major surgery!! I just want to able to see in the dark!
Yes that was an emotional day (I only had the car for 2 months before having it done)

It’s a lot easier to retrofit xenons than cic (bumper removal vs dash removal)
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:17 AM   #32
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Luckily I have cic and folding mirrors!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #33
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I agree with R3tribut10n

Your best and cheapest option is to simply revert the car back to stock.

I guess your car is a 330i or d? Most 6 cyclinder cars came with headlight washers as standard if I recall. My 330d came with halogens from factory until I retrofitted xenon.

I doubt you would even need to do any coding to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #34
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
I agree with R3tribut10n

Your best and cheapest option is to simply revert the car back to stock.

I guess your car is a 330i or d? Most 6 cyclinder cars came with headlight washers as standard if I recall. My 330d came with halogens from factory until I retrofitted xenon.

I doubt you would even need to do any coding to be honest.
Ah right. Yes 330d. Thanks for that, I thought it must of had xenon's with having the washers.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:40 AM   #35
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325d e92, e61 525d, e28 525e

Quote:
They are a cheap aftermarket xenon set up. Wires and boxes everywhere! Does my head in. When I first start the car they flicker like mad for about 5 seconds (it's like being at a rave gm the 80's) but then they work fine
I may well be interested in your lights .
You are really over thinking this. Get soneone with Carly app or coding facilities, to code out all your light errors / cold checks on bulbs, instantly will be no more flashing of lights or dash lights up!! Once thats done, get tgem alligned at an mot station, see from there where you are at niggt with how well its lit up. If still poor, upgrade your high beam lights if non bi xenon projector. And buy a good quality hid bulb and ballast for dipped beam. Guarantee it would be more than adequate!! Regarding others saying DTM lights look awful. I disagree, stock angels look crap to me, so everyone has a different opinion. Just dont cause yourself totally unnecessary expense over headlight blooming washers, as you seem to have that stuck in your head for some reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:05 AM   #36
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjb1 View Post
You are really over thinking this. Get soneone with Carly app or coding facilities, to code out all your light errors / cold checks on bulbs, instantly will be no more flashing of lights or dash lights up!! Once thats done, get tgem alligned at an mot station, see from there where you are at niggt with how well its lit up. If still poor, upgrade your high beam lights if non bi xenon projector. And buy a good quality hid bulb and ballast for dipped beam. Guarantee it would be more than adequate!! Regarding others saying DTM lights look awful. I disagree, stock angels look crap to me, so everyone has a different opinion. Just dont cause yourself totally unnecessary expense over headlight blooming washers, as you seem to have that stuck in your head for some reason.
Thanks for your input mate, I get what you are saying. The bulbs in are 8000k and they are are still woefull. The thing with the headlight washers is a want to fit the correct bumper at some point, my bumper has been drilled for pdc and they are basically stuck in place with silicone I think! No pdc mounting points. So it just made sence to get one with the headlight washer holes. I also think when I wash the windscreen with the lights on they still work where they are and spray water everywhere! The lights are also that steamed up I will be able to put goldfish in soon! Thanks again tho I do appreciate everyone's thoughts
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:55 AM   #37
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Well that is your issue, 8000k bulbs. People are misguided, the kelvin scale the further up you go, does not equate to brightness, it is the colour of the light emitted. Once you pass 4800k, the usable light which the human eye can efficiently use becomes less, 8000k is bluey purple and is absolutely useless, better off with halogen at 3800k if anything!! Change your ballasts and bulbs, get a decent set, get them levelled, and see.

You basically have stock halogen headlights with aftermarket hid ballasts and bulbs by sounds of it. Along with your mods to the indicators / sidelights ( angel eyes ). I would simply sort your bumper out, forget the washers even. Then code out bulb error checks for the dipped, indicators and sidelights, disable headlight washers even?? and see how you get on. You could just sort a new bumper, with headlight washers then, and just code the lights. Carly app will allow you to do all of this. Id be more than happy to code the car for you, but Im in West Wales, too much of a treck for you 😂, but that will stop your strobing and dash errors.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 04:58 AM   #38
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

When I say sort, I mean:

Change bulbs and ballasts for a decent set, at 4500k etc for your Low beams. ( Cheap hids are rubbish )

Code error checks off

Source and fit new bumper with pdc holes and washer outlets.

Have lights alligned

Purchase decent set of osram night breakers or phillips extreme for the high beam.

This would be best I think.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #39
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Take the rear covers for bulbs off the lights, they will dry up immediately regarding misting.

Code headlight washers off for time being til you source new bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:12 AM   #40
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yes I think Wales is a bit too for me! I could do with someone with your knowledge in west Yorkshire! The headlights have the fish eye look so I think they have the xenon reflector type thing. They also don't have covers on the back so that's probably where the moisture is coming from! I will try and take some more photos of them in the next couple of days. I only get drivers dipped beam error too. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #41
Dodsie75
Enlisted Member
Rep

It's the angel lights that strobe for a few seconds not the headlights
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 12:47 PM   #42
Kjb1
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Is the heaslight washer activation getting into the rear of headlight then??

Yes if you code with carly to turn off cold light check and hot, for both the dipped beams and the sidelights ( angel eyes ) that will cure the strobing of angel eyes and tge dipped beam error message all at same time then. Then just buy some decent hid bulbs, with a much lower kelvin rating, along with decent high beam bulb, get them allinged at mot station, you should be sorted!! ( Bar the bumper ) but that can come at a later date.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 01:47 PM   #43
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

I'll maintain that you should change the whole cluster. You can get a good genuine set for a couple of hundred from ebay.

These lights look awful and have clearly been sealed poorly hence your moisture problem.

Where headlights come in, always go OEM or take your headlights to a professional for customisation. KYCS is the best in the U.K. I believe and are genuine bavgruppe installer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #44
tondeur
Rep
Drives: 320 m sport

to my knowledge there are three different headlight fitted in the e90 and they arent cheap last time i priced a set up for a customer with a 320 m sport they were £700 each have you had the beam pattern tested? i doubt its acurate for mot purposses but if so could at least buy you some time to source a second hand gen set i would be tempted to buy a slightly hazy set cheaper and restor them with wet and dry kkeping the glass(plastic) very wet then finishing with g3 and uv coat. i would imaging this was either done by a trend follower or someone qouted 2k for a replacement set.

Tony
Appreciate 0