E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > What's with all this dangerous DTC advice?

02-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
Exclamation What's with all this dangerous DTC advice?

I have noticed tonight a number of posts where people have recommended the driver engages DTC before embarking in a spirited drive in order to get "the best" out of the car.

For example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
I don't think there's a way to delete the gearbox 'memory'... But if you want liven things up use DS mode or flappies and press the DTC button once before you set off!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Toxic, glad your enjoying the big D. A re-map enhances all the qualities you mention even further.

Try DTC, that also unleashes the car. It enables you to get out of the corner quicker.
Now the manual states:

DTC is a traction-optimised version of DSC intended for use in special circumstances, such as roads covered in deep snow. Under these circumstances the system ensures maximum forward traction, but at a certain cost in terms of stability. Consequently, you must exercise suitable caution when driving under these conditions.

So taking what the manual says, and knowing that DTC has certainly proved itself for me in the recent snow where it really did make a difference, is it not rather dangerous to advise somebody to engage DTC prior to going out on a quick drive on dry roads.

Indeed is it not a suicidal thing to do?

I am also aware that this is very different to turning DSC OFF by pressing the button for 3 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m@rk View Post
is it not rather dangerous to advise somebody to engage DTC prior to going out on a quick drive on dry roads.

Indeed is it not a suicidal thing to do?
You are joking I hope?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

yes. it's certain suicide. and we are all in fact dead.
      02-28-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I engaged DTC earlier on today, i'm communicating from the afterlife.
      02-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #5
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
You are joking I hope?
Not at all.

People are suggesting that DTC improves the handling of the car at speed.

BMW state the opposite of this.

Who is right?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Not at all.

Who is right?
Take your car out on a warm dry night and presuming you can drive (no offence meant) then pressing the DTC button will make the car feel like a completely different car.
      02-28-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Last summer I had it Permanantly disabled all the time. I even get frustrated with DTC pressed once when it still kicks in when pushing on hard.

WIthout an LSD our car our cars are seriously hampered. T/C and stabilty cuts in constantly when your trying to put the power down as the inside whats the spin all the time.

Disengaging it, enables the inside wheel to spin, and usually the outside wheel will join it to break away progressively and positively in most situations, enabling rapido progress with minimum fuss and No ''Push-on'' (Understeer, but not quite, its strange). I find DSC creates alot of understeer, car is always pushing on. I find that dangerous.

Without it on the car drives more naturally are has far more fluidity.
      02-28-2010, 02:52 PM   #8
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Not at all.

Who is right?
Someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong but the DTC simply allows a slightly increased amount of slippage in the wheels before cutting power/apply brakes (with the affect of restoring/attempting to restore traction).

Unless you're really on the edge (and/or driving outside of your capabilities) it's no different to driving any other RWD (or any other car for that matter) car which doesnt have all the fancy toys a modern/well spec'd car has.

You don't think you could break rear end traction in something like a Ford Ka if you wanted to?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I find DSC creates alot of understeer, car is always pushing on. I find that dangerous.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement (having only had my car a couple of weeks) but I definitely detect a hint of understeer, is that because the DSC/DTC are fully on all the time?

More importantly, will a quick press of the "DTC" button correct this?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #10
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
No

I get the fact that it dials back the traction control (yes I have seen various explanation posts here on the forum).

My concern about the posts is 2 fold.

First. When advising the OP to turn DTC on, it is worded such that the car is tightened up, more responsive and so on BUT at no point does anybody point out that this is also dialling back the safety features so the onus is now on the driver to keep out of trouble. This is very different from DS where the driver is still protected (to a point). And of course remember at least 49.9% of all members of this forum are of a below average driving standard when compared against the whole board membership.

Secondly, reading the words of the BMW manual at face value, I get the impression that there is something more at play here. Are the dynamics changed in any way hence the warning?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement (having only had my car a couple of weeks) but I definitely detect a hint of understeer, is that because the DSC/DTC are fully on all the time?

More importantly, will a quick press of the "DTC" button correct this?
When Im ''On it'' which I do most of the time in all honesty, I find the car starts to break traction and the car shits itself and tries to stop me going into the field (which Im no where near going to) and it starts cutting power to the wheels, this then makes the car start to go straight on, not as in lack of front end bite but the rear of the car not wanting to go in an arc around the bend due to the power being cut and brakes applied. (Not by me)

With it off the car is much more managable, well it is for me anyhow. The car breaks traction so I manage the throttle myself and Exit the bend much faster than I could have down with the shitty DSC on. (The car is far more lively for sure)

Yes I agree with it in principle as it saves alot of lives. Stops fools killing themselves.
      02-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Ok and let's get one thing cleared up too.

There are only 3 modes of operation right:

1. Full on - default when you start the car.

2. DTC Activated - a short press (i.e. press and release) of the DTC button activates the DTC. This is what we're talking about here. The system allows increased slippage before cutting in.

3. DTC and DSC Deactivated - a long press (i.e. 3 seconds or more) of the DTC button. This is the balls-out "you're on your own" mode, ideally suited for track driving.

Last edited by toxicnerve; 02-28-2010 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I was talking both. I prefer ''Your on your own'' mode.
      02-28-2010, 03:23 PM   #14
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
And of course remember at least 49.9% of all members of this forum are of a below average driving standard when compared against the whole board membership.
What? Says who, you? How do you know this?

On the meets I have attended I have found every single person in attendance to be both enthusiastic and highly capable drivers. I think the fact that people are even on here shows a dedication, enthusiasm and subsequently a higher degree of skill than the average driver - you are suggesting the reverse?

Everyone knows 75.6% of statistics are made up. I would suggest your comment originates from this camp.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
themetz
smokin' kipper
England
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5

Quote:

2. DTC Activated - a short press (i.e. press and release) of the DTC button deactivates the DTC. This is what we're talking about here. The system allows increased slippage before cutting in.

3. DTC and DSC Deactivated - a long press (i.e. 3 seconds or more) of the DTC button. This is the balls-out "you're on your own" mode, ideally suited for track driving.
activates dynamic traction control

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
Everyone knows 75.6% of statistics are made up. I would suggest your comment originates from this camp.
I believe it's actually 78.3%

Quote:
First. When advising the OP to turn DTC on, it is worded such that the car is tightened up, more responsive and so on BUT at no point does anybody point out that this is also dialling back the safety features so the onus is now on the driver to keep out of trouble. This is very different from DS where the driver is still protected (to a point). And of course remember at least 49.9% of all members of this forum are of a below average driving standard when compared against the whole board membership.
With DTC on DSC will still cut in and save your bacon if you drive like a c*ck ie beyond your limits

Quote:
Secondly, reading the words of the BMW manual at face value, I get the impression that there is something more at play here. Are the dynamics changed in any way hence the warning?
if you read the manual you will also note that it tells you not to put your head in the window before closing. i believe these helpful hints are for people with limited intelligence who may otherwise presume doing something stupid might allow them a no-win-no-fee opportunity to pay for their next few holidays.

Of course, the answer to this is to buy one of lifes safer cars like a Toyota.... oh sh*t, no wait.

Last edited by themetz; 02-28-2010 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: typos galore
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themetz View Post
activates dynamic traction control
yes sorry, that's what I meant, I will edit my post though my mistake will be forever immortalised in yours!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #17
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheps View Post
What? Says who, you? How do you know this?
How can it be anything else?

Think about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How can it be anything else?

Think about it.
You're assuming this board's membership is representative of the wider population.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
If its fully disabled, its fully disabled.
      02-28-2010, 03:41 PM   #20
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Mark, your being a bit of a clown here mate if you don't mind me saying.

Trying to carefully play on words that 'at least 49.9% of all members of this forum are of a below average driving standard when compared against the whole board membership.'

Are you actually saying that half the members of of a below average driving standard. That would explain your quite psychotic post saying that we are all suicidal for contemplating driving without every nanny aid known to man activated.

Or are you trying to be clever and say that if we averaged everyones driving then of course 49.9% would be below average and 50.1% would be above.

If you are unsure about your driving ability (after all you could be in the bottom 10% of the 49.9% below average members??) then you should leave DSC and every other driving aid on when contemplating a 'spirited drive' and leave all us looneys to commit suicide.

By the way, if you ever want to experience ///M Dynamic mode then pop by, I am happy to take you for a 'spin' and demonstrate it
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #21
SlicktopTTZ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 300ZX Twin-Turbo, 2010 135i

Wow....

If you can't tell the difference for yourself between the 3 "Electronic Nanny" settings then I think you have the wrong idea of "spirited driving".

And really, enough with the too much horsepower thing, even the fastest 335i's and 135i's to date are relatively slow compared to the other modified sports cars out there. There is a reason that some people have daily drivers that run single digit 1/4 times, a car isn't always out of control if it can make 1000 peak horsepower. The accelerator pedal is variable for a reason.......
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:

2. DTC Activated - a short press (i.e. press and release) of the DTC button activates the DTC. This is what we're talking about here. The system allows increased slippage before cutting in.

1 = Normal mode for me

2 = Using a bit more lately, getting more traction and less yellow lights when getting away pronto

3 = Got to be nuts to use this when its wet. Only to be used in wide open icy spaces or fields
Appreciate 0