E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bad Strut Mount Bushing, What else Should I replace?

03-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #1
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Bad Strut Mount Bushing, What else Should I replace?

When making sharp turns at low speeds I'm getting a sort of popping/groaning noise from the strut mount bushing. It's badly torn up and so will definitely need replacing. So far I know I'm going to need this part:

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...60-31306775098

What else should I replace while I'm in there? I'd like to replace as much of the rubber/mounting parts as I can while I'm in there, but I don't know what else is in there. If it matters the previous owner had a shop install H&R struts, but I don't think they replaced anything else, EX. the original BMW bump stops are still there.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

How many years/miles on the struts? I would replaced them. Both sides. Mount, struts and sway bar links. Probably your rear isn't in much better shape either.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
How many years/miles on the struts? I would replaced them. Both sides. Mount, struts and sway bar links. Probably your rear isn't in much better shape either.
The struts should be less than 3 years old and under 40k miles. I doubt they're really worn, the car still rides great. I'd just like to know what's between the strut and the strut mount, if there is anyting in there worth replacing. Swaybar links might be a good idea too.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
The struts should be less than 3 years old and under 40k miles. I doubt they're really worn, the car still rides great. I'd just like to know what's between the strut and the strut mount, if there is anyting in there worth replacing. Swaybar links might be a good idea too.
At 40k (best case scenario) they have half life left so if you are planning on keeping the car for few years or longer I would replace the struts.

Between the strut mount and the shock you don't have anything. You have a perch between the mount and the spring. They rarely go bad. Maybe if needs you can get new rubber gumet for the spring and bump stop for the strut.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Manual Transmission
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
At 40k (best case scenario) they have half life left so if you are planning on keeping the car for few years or longer I would replace the struts.

Between the strut mount and the shock you don't have anything. You have a perch between the mount and the spring. They rarely go bad. Maybe if needs you can get new rubber gumet for the spring and bump stop for the strut.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #6
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Transmission View Post
I'd just like to know what's between the strut and the strut mount
Your prayers have been answered:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do