E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Eyeglasses

07-20-2018, 11:15 PM   #23
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
I vote for Ray Bans as well. They seem a bit less prone to lens scratches. I'm not sure what the lens material was though...
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #24
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I’ve worn glasses since mid 20’s and I’m now just about to turn 54.

I have problems with both short and long distance so I have had multifocals for the past 10years or so and I would be lost without them, more so with reading.

I have usually had either Oakley or Ray Ban frames and have found both to be fine for daily use. I primarily wear Ray Ban sunglasses though.

I’m lucky, my Wife works for OPSM (same as Lens Crafters in the States) so I get them for free
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-20-2018, 11:37 PM   #25
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I had perfect 20/20 vision until my 40's. Then it started to fail, but slowly. First it was just reading glasses. And then "computer" glasses. Now, in my late 50's, I have tri-focals. I tried the progressives, but I suffered through a week of nausea and gave up on them. So I have true, three-line trifocals. I bought a pair of Serengeti sunglasses (looooong time fan of them) and had trifocal lenses fitted to those frames.

Last year I started riding a bicycle and needed a wrap-around set of glasses to keep the dust and such out. I found that almost any decent frame can be adapted to use prescription lenses. And yes, they are very pricey. I have 4 pairs of sunglasses (2 for riding and two for normal use) and 4 pairs of regular glasses that I use depending on where I'm at and what I'm looking at. Welcome to the world of corrective vision.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-21-2018, 12:19 AM   #26
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
So I've had some issues with my left eye for the past few years, central serous retinopathy which is like a blister on your retina. Yesterday I go to have this checked out again and was informed that I need glasses. I'm 41, I have been pretty rough on my body throughout the years and it's to be expected, no big deal. When I was told I needed bifocals, it instantly started the mindset of being "old." I realize there are younger people than I am with bifocals I suppose it's just a mental stigma of mine.

Being new to needing glasses, I'm curious to those who currently wear them. What are your conditions that require glasses? What kind of adjustment period did it take to get comfortable with them? What type, style or brand do you wear? Most importantly, where do you buy them? I almost had a heart attack yesterday when I was told how much they would cost before insurance, still had a bit of sticker shock after insurance.

I opted to go ahead and have the office that had been working with my retinopathy to order my lenses and they should be here in about 2 weeks. I went with Oakley Airdrops in grey shadow with the digital bifocals and whatever anti-glare, scratch resistant, bs they sold me but was told they would be pretty much indestructible. Curious to hear anyone else's experience with getting acclimated to their new eyes.
What a refreshing thread...no one is arguing or calling each other names.
Hush 4-eyes

07-23-2018, 08:06 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Interesting topic and one of the kinds of threads I appreciate and can interact in.

I am almost 48 (less than 2 weeks) and I noticed my reading and up close vision of tiny letters weakening @ 44 for me. I've had perfect vision all my life based on the general eye exams from my family Doc. Also I started noticing glare at night from oncoming headlights. I went in with my wife who has had to wear glasses/contacts since she was a teen. The Doc explained that no matter who you are, human beings vision begin deteriorating substantially by age 40 and continue to do so for the rest of your life. Some more so than others. I was prescribed a pair of glasses specifically for reading and computer work. They work great! I also got an optional pair of low power far sighted glasses for night driving. But they also make everything at a distance look super sharp. Kind of like HD vs SD.
So yeah, I feel you. Life happens.
I'll be 42 in just a few months and aside from my CSR issue in the left eye, the only problems with my eyes that I've ever had was when my youngest son shot me in the eye with velcro nerf dart when he was about 6. I've had countless stitched and have been beat and banged up pretty up bad throughout life but that was hands down one of the worst pains I have ever had.

I started noticing my vision going south about a year ago and the girlfriend at the time asked me to try on her glasses and couldn't believe how much sharper everything was. I just hope the company fitting my lenses to my frames get it done quickly. I'm so ready to be able to see clearly.

Quote:
Same thing for me...but if I had longer arms I wouldn't need to wear glasses though.
I've heard several people say that in the past few days.

Quote:
What a refreshing thread...no one is arguing or calling each other names.
Give it a few more posts

Quote:
I vote for Ray Bans as well. They seem a bit less prone to lens scratches. I'm not sure what the lens material was though...
I'll more than likely end up with some Ray-Bans too, also shopping for Persol frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
I’ve worn glasses since mid 20’s and I’m now just about to turn 54.

I have problems with both short and long distance so I have had multifocals for the past 10years or so and I would be lost without them, more so with reading.

I have usually had either Oakley or Ray Ban frames and have found both to be fine for daily use. I primarily wear Ray Ban sunglasses though.

I’m lucky, my Wife works for OPSM (same as Lens Crafters in the States) so I get them for free
Same here. Reading seems to be my biggest issue. I don't really notice how bad my eyes are until I need to focus on letters or numbers. In my profession it can make it quite difficult. Nothing like having an inside man....or woman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I had perfect 20/20 vision until my 40's. Then it started to fail, but slowly. First it was just reading glasses. And then "computer" glasses. Now, in my late 50's, I have tri-focals. I tried the progressives, but I suffered through a week of nausea and gave up on them. So I have true, three-line trifocals. I bought a pair of Serengeti sunglasses (looooong time fan of them) and had trifocal lenses fitted to those frames.

Last year I started riding a bicycle and needed a wrap-around set of glasses to keep the dust and such out. I found that almost any decent frame can be adapted to use prescription lenses. And yes, they are very pricey. I have 4 pairs of sunglasses (2 for riding and two for normal use) and 4 pairs of regular glasses that I use depending on where I'm at and what I'm looking at. Welcome to the world of corrective vision.
I've read quite a few reviews where people have stated they have gotten nausea from progressive lenses. I certainly hope that won't be the case with me after shelling out the small fortune I have already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Hush 4-eyes

.......and there it is!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #28
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Ironically Ray Ban and Oakley are owned by the same company. Dont worry about the Oakleys. This is your first pair of glasses and you will have 50 more pairs through out your life time. You will learn what you like and what your dont like.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #29
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
Ironically Ray Ban and Oakley are owned by the same company. Dont worry about the Oakleys. This is your first pair of glasses and you will have 50 more pairs through out your life time. You will learn what you like and what your dont like.
It is a little ironic......don't ya think.....sorry had to.

Yeah Luxotica gobbled up the, in my opinion, top 3. They purchased Persol a few years back as well which kinda bothers me as they are in a completely different class from Ray-Ban or Oakley.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #30
blau iii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i schwartz on scwartz

i've worn glasses for 30 years (almost 35 years old) and have had luck at sears optical and going with ray-ban glasses. prices are decent compared to the niche shops. That being said, I'm scheduled to have PRK in two weeks. I'm done wearing glasses and want to be free.

I can't see shit more than a few feet in front of me. I also have an astigmatism so I have to go with PRK instead of Lasik.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #31
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

FYI, here's the frames I went with: brand XXL

Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      07-23-2018, 12:19 PM   #32
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
FYI, here's the frames I went with: brand XXL

I like those. I really wanted to go with more of a timeless classic look with mine but instead went the complete opposite direction somehow. Every time I look at my frames it makes me think of Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the 80's.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #33
hooligan_G01
Space Shuttle Door Gunner
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i BG/Taco Red

Quote:
I like those. I really wanted to go with more of a timeless classic look with mine but instead went the complete opposite direction somehow. Every time I look at my frames it makes me think of Kareem Abdul Jabbar in the 80's.
I think the Oakley frames you picked are sharp.

I currently have Ray Ban frames and I had Oakleys before that. Other than the straight/bayonet style temples not wanting to stay put, I had zero issues with my Oakley frames.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 10:47 AM   #34
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan_clt View Post
I think the Oakley frames you picked are sharp.

I currently have Ray Ban frames and I had Oakleys before that. Other than the straight/bayonet style temples not wanting to stay put, I had zero issues with my Oakley frames.

Thanks man. I really didn't want to be flashing the O on my temple but whatever. I had a hard time trying to decide between the shadow grey or the satin black. The black's O didn't seem quite so prominent but the grey were translucent and just different, so that's what I opted for. I did really like how the arms go straight back versus going behind my ears and the rubberized nose piece to keep them from sliding down. I like wire frames nose pieces as they are adjustable but felt this was a fair compromise in that aspect.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 10:49 AM   #35
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Nerd.

had to be said.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #36
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Nerd.

had to be said.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #37
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
No contacts? Unless I'm just bumming around the house or just being lazy, I always wear my contacts instead. Losing peripheral vision w/the glasses really annoys me. Also, they suck if I am working on the car.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17940.00
      07-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #38
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
No contacts? Unless I'm just bumming around the house or just being lazy, I always wear my contacts instead. Losing peripheral vision w/the glasses really annoys me. Also, they suck if I am working on the car.
I may ultimately go this route. Everything just kinda happened so fast, one day I can see, the next I have retinopathy and the next I'm being fitted for goggles. I'll try the glasses for a bit and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #39
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
I may ultimately go this route. Everything just kinda happened so fast, one day I can see, the next I have retinopathy and the next I'm being fitted for goggles. I'll try the glasses for a bit and go from there.
Hope you find the right pair. I have wanted new frames for years, but I can never find any that look right on my fugly face.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:27 PM   #40
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
Hope you find the right pair. I have wanted new frames for years, but I can never find any that look right on my fugly face.
I'm happy with the frames I have picked out. My biggest worry at this point is hoping that I don't end up with the nausea that I read about people having from the progressive lenses. I had always thought that if I ever needed glasses I would go with wire frames, but every pair I tried on made me look way older than I already am.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #41
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
I'm happy with the frames I have picked out. My biggest worry at this point is hoping that I don't end up with the nausea that I read about people having from the progressive lenses. I had always thought that if I ever needed glasses I would go with wire frames, but every pair I tried on made me look way older than I already am.
About the nausea with progressives. I think you stated you bought these glasses at a doctors office so they should have taken quality measurements with the test eyeglass frame adjusted to you and a pen light reflection, so the progressives lens is centered just for you.

It’s not uncommon to make sure new progressive lens wearers don’t leave the office wearing the new pair of glasses. Going up or down steps can be deceiving initially so they may ask you to experiment at home first.

Each hour that you wear the new progressives you should be adapting, so after a few days you should be able to tell things are getting better - however u may not have much distortion from the moment you first put them on so expect anything.

Also depending on the lens material it’s not unusual to get fringe chromatic aberration around lights - don’t worry it’s just temporary - it’s amazing how your brain sorts all these things out after a short period - soon your lenses will provide seamless focus at all distances.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      07-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #42
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
About the nausea with progressives. I think you stated you bought these glasses at a doctors office so they should have taken quality measurements with the test eyeglass frame adjusted to you and a pen light reflection, so the progressives lens is centered just for you.

It’s not uncommon to make sure new progressive lens wearers don’t leave the office wearing the new pair of glasses. Going up or down steps can be deceiving initially so they may ask you to experiment at home first.

Each hour that you wear the new progressives you should be adapting, so after a few days you should be able to tell things are getting better - however u may not have much distortion from the moment you first put them on so expect anything.

Also depending on the lens material it’s not unusual to get fringe chromatic aberration around lights - don’t worry it’s just temporary - it’s amazing how your brain sorts all these things out after a short period - soon your lenses will provide seamless focus at all distances.
And then my fears were dissolved.....thank you kind sir. They did mark the lenses directly in front of my pupils and made other markings on the lenses as well. Sadly, I'm kind of like a kid a christmas time waiting on my gift of sight.....well HD vision I guess I should say, I can "see' now.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #43
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
My main glasses are Gucci style "GG 1045 ACZ" but I also have a set of Oakley "Crosshair" prescription sunglasses. I can't play golf with glasses (a bi-weekly event) so I have contact lenses I use strictly for golf.
Attached Images

07-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #44
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
My main glasses are Gucci style "GG 1045 ACZ" but I also have a set of Oakley "Crosshair" prescription sunglasses. I can't play golf with glasses (a bi-weekly event) so I have contact lenses I use strictly for golf.
Dig those frames! I haven't played golf in years but I had not thought about stuff like that.

Dammit....now I can't stop thinking "Gucci Frames, Gucci Frames, Gucci Frames, Gucci Frames"......ugh.....
Appreciate 1