E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > M3 suspension parts on 335i install/review (multipart)

02-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #1
Kamando
Captain
Rep
Drives: -

M3 suspension parts on 335i install/review (multipart)

First off, thanks to Harold at HP Autowerks on pointing me in the right direction for my first major mod(s); he is always quick to answer my questions which is greatly appreciated. Also, thanks are in order to Orb for posting Robbing the E92 M3 for suspension parts.

For a long time I have been debating on what my first real mod for my car would be. I had initially been leaning towards a tune but after driving a lot of the wonderful twisty roads over here, to include the Nürburgring, the under-steer and overall floaty feeling on hard corners became readily apparent and something I definitely wanted to change first as this would give me more overall satisfaction.

Today I placed my order for what I will call stage 2 M3 suspension parts. The following is the list of the parts I ordered:

• Left and Right Tension Strut with Rubber Mounting
  • Left and Right Wishbone w/ correct Xenon Regulating Rod
  • Rear Subframe Bushings
  • Left and Right rear guide rods
  • Left and Right rear upper links w/ correct ABS tube bracket
The parts came out to a total of 951.92 Euro which includes the 19% tax which I can take off with a VAT form which makes the parts roughly around 1K USD total.

To order the parts I went to Autohaus Rhein in Würzburg, always received great service there, and they were nice enough to place these parts on express order for me which apparently come from Frankfurt. I was told that parts not available from Frankfurt would be sent direct from the plant in Regensburg. I should have the parts by Wednesday next week at the latest.

I was also lucky enough to score a great deal on labor for installation from a company called Tauber Motorsport located in Obermichelbach. I have never used them before but heard only good things about them from several coworkers one of which had them do a lot of work on his E46 M3 to include a supercharger install.

Of course I will be updating this thread with pics and reviews (of both the new handling and the installation shop) as things progress so stay tuned!

UPDATE 21FEB09
Today I picked up my parts from the dealership
The parts all arrived at the dealership yesterday so took 1 week for the dealership to get them to include one of the parts that was on back order. I'm sure everyone at the dealership thought I was crazy when they saw me walking out lugging a box and the wife carrying the front wishbones and tension rods.

Name:  DSC_0248.jpg
Views: 33016
Size:  233.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0261.jpg
Views: 29639
Size:  64.4 KB
I was surprised at how small this piece really is, the catalog is very deceptive.

UPDATE: 25MAR09
Picked up my M3 sways today. Next Tuesday cannot come soon enough!
Name:  DSC_0272.png
Views: 29742
Size:  372.2 KB

UPDATE: 31MAR09
Took the car in today for the install. Got to the shop before 0900 and everything seemed to be on track. Here's where I stand as of 1900hrs. Went to the shop to check on the car and on the way I received a call from the shop saying the rear upper links would not fit. Of course this freaked me out.

When I got to the shop they showed me how the rear sway bar was blocking the rear upper link from being mounted. Luckily the friend that drove me used his E92 M3 so the shop guys crawled underneath the M3 and quickly saw where they had made the mistake in the sway mounting. So the crisis was averted and the car will be ready tomorrow at about 1200 with the alignment and the install of all the pieces complete.

Some quick pics from my iphone. (Thanks to the darkroom app for making the iphone camera useable.)

Name:  IMG_0083.jpg
Views: 29507
Size:  33.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 29297
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0085.jpg
Views: 29387
Size:  32.4 KB
Front Left

Name:  IMG_0086.jpg
Views: 29200
Size:  36.6 KB
Front Right

Name:  IMG_0088.jpg
Views: 29226
Size:  35.9 KB
Left Rear (Backwards Sway Bar)

Name:  IMG_0089.jpg
Views: 29420
Size:  40.6 KB
Right Rear (Backwards Sway Bar)

UPDATE 01APR09

Before we begin some pics of the old pieces:
Name:  DSC_0267.jpg
Views: 29167
Size:  30.0 KB
Note the very thin rear sway
Name:  DSC_0269.jpg
Views: 29656
Size:  29.1 KB
The sloppy 335i Rear Subframe Bushings
Name:  DSC_0274.jpg
Views: 30499
Size:  33.5 KB
The rest of the pieces

Now on to the review...

Initial impression:

I want to caveat this review by saying I have never expected that this process would give me M3 grade handling with a few bolt-ons and anyone wanting to go this route should not expect this either as it simply will not happen. With that being said the results are simply awesome compared to stock!

First off thanks to Harold at HP Autowerks, Orb, and all the others that have helped me with my questions and issues.

I'll start with a few short words about the install shop. Tauber Motorsport http://www.tauber-motorsport.de/ is a company located in Obermichelbach Germany. Like most shops in small Germany towns it may not look like much but don't let the looks fool you. These guys know their stuff. The business is family owned and operated with a history of professional German racing. To install all the M3 parts to include the Rear Subframe Bushings came out to a mere 313 Euro for labor which is a really good rate (57 Euro/hr without tax). The total for everything they did to include alignment (done offsite at another company) came to 423 Euro, still a decent price for anyone who knows how expensive German labor rates can be. These guys performed the work on my car very quickly considering everything that had to be done and only ran into one small problem which is mentioned above due to one tech so I won't hold that against the company. The quality of the work met my expectations and everything seems very solid, I would definitely recommend them and will be using them again in the future.

Now on to the results of the install.
The car finally feels like what it should have felt like from day one. The first thing you will notice is the steering is noticeably stiffer and gives you more feeback from the road, all of which is definitely for the better.

The lateral stiffness is leaps and bounds above the stock set up and the car finally, for the first time ever driving this car, feels fully planted going into the sharp corners. To give you an idea, it is very much like riding on rails now as wherever the car is directed to go it will do so without any hesitation. The added stiffness and increased feedback do a lot to communicate the limits of traction, allowing you to enter that sharp curve, without braking, with confidence. Immediate lane changes are now sharp and direct with highly reduced roll. When stock the car had a tendency to feel a bit floaty when negotiating some of the more sever corners. Not anymore.

Traction at the rear wheels is also noticeably enhanced. Turning onto a road in low gear followed by wide open throttle now leads to the tires hooking up much sooner than the stock setup. I do not have a calibrated 0-60 timer but I would venture to say acceleration runs will now be slightly better by the tires hooking up sooner with the stiffer rear components. There is also a noticeable difference in traction in the wet. DSC is activated much less and for shorter incriments when it does intervene. Finally this car has solid reliable traction.

After doing this install an alignment of all four wheels is definitely needed. Here are the results of my alignment after the install:
Name:  img007a.jpg
Views: 29615
Size:  209.7 KB

This weekend I have plans to run the Nürburgring and will be able to better evaluate the car. As of this posting I was still running my winter tires (Dunlop M3 Winter Sport DSST). I have an appointment to return to summers on Friday. I am sticking with the stock Run Flats for now for the following reasons...

I am currently running the stock springs and dampers and moving to non Run Flats on my current setup would bring out the weakness in the current dampers. So to minimize the effect of the stock dampers I need to stay RFT until I can swap them out. I plan on going with the BMW Performance Dampers and Springs in the near future.

Also, honestly the Run Flats work just fine over here for the simple reason that German roads are not crap like the majority of American Roads. With the roads here being nice and smooth the harshness claimed by everyone in the states is not that noticeable at all.

Overall, while not quite M3 handling, the M3 suspension parts install greatly enhanced the handling characteristics of the car and is something I would highly recommend to anyone wanting to stick with BMW OEM components. For those like myself worried about having to do dampers and springs as well, the car handles very well on those stock pieces with this setup. I plan to change dampers and springs solely for the fact that they are now the weakest link in the system. If you are sitting on the fence about this mod don't worry, you will not be disappointed.

UPDATE: 3APR09
I have fixed the camber issues, now I'm running -.9 deg and -.8 deg, and had the summer tires installed. Everything is working great now, no issues.

High Speed Autobahn & Nürburgring Driving
Name:  T9G_1356.jpg
Views: 28172
Size:  297.2 KB
The car is noticeably more stable at high speed including all the way up to the limiter. At 150mph on the speedo the car feels better planted than OEM.

On the Nürburgring the M3 components were invaluable. I was able to push the car MUCH harder than I felt comfortable with on the stock setup. There were numerous times when the M3 pieces gave me that last little bit of stiffness/grip for situations, which under the stock setup, would have sent me into the wall. I am far from knowledgeable on how to properly drive the ring as I have only done 6 laps so far; which led to me having the wrong line in numerous corners but the M3 pieces (along with cornering brake control, brake fade compensation, and DSC of course ) helped ensure I made it through. Now I just need better dampers/springs and better tires and I'll be set for the track.

Last edited by Kamando; 07-19-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
sounds interesting!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Let us know how everthing turn out after the install!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Vudoo4u2
Night Sh1ft
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F95 X5MC LCI

Garage List
im curious how much install for all those parts amounts to?
      02-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I am getting exactly the same job done, + 14mm rear sway and BMW Perf springs & dampers. Unfortunately they couldn't get finished before the weekend.

What is the "correct ABS tube bracket"?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I am getting exactly the same job done, + 14mm rear sway and BMW Perf springs & dampers. Unfortunately they couldn't get finished before the weekend.

What is the "correct ABS tube bracket"?

Thanks!
Part# 34522283017 apparently the 335 bracket won't mount correctly to the new M3 upper link.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamando View Post
Part# 34522283017 apparently the 335 bracket won't mount correctly to the new M3 upper link.
Thanks! I will check whether Tischer included this in the stuff they sent me.

[edit -- I checked their website and they have the bracket listed with the guide rod.]

My 335 is a 9/2006 build date, so I'm not sure which guide rod set up I have, should be the old style.

It's the bracket for the ABS/BVA that snaps into the guide rod/upper link. The alu cast M3 piece doesn't have the lip for the bracket to clip into that the 335 does.

M3 part: 22 REAR ABS/BVA TUBE BRACKET 2 34522283017

335 part: 18 WISHBONE, REAR 2 02/2007 33326777980
ONLY IN CONJUNCTION WITH
23 REAR ABS/BVA TUBE BRACKET 2 02/2007 34526778391
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:

• Left and Right Tension Strut with Rubber Mounting
  • Left and Right Wishbone w/ correct Xenon Regulating Rod
  • Rear Subframe Bushings
  • Left and Right rear guide rods
  • Left and Right rear upper links w/ correct ABS tube bracket
Please keep us informed with how difficult the the rear subframe bushings are.
Everything else on the list is a straight forward install.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

I will ask too. I was having the rear sway put in at the same time, so figured with the exhaust off etc. and lowering the subframe it would be not too much more trouble to press the bushings in. The rear is finished, so it must not have been too bad. I think Harold says it is a 4-5 hour job.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I will ask too. I was having the rear sway put in at the same time, so figured with the exhaust off etc. and lowering the subframe it would be not too much more trouble to press the bushings in. The rear is finished, so it must not have been too bad. I think Harold says it is a 4-5 hour job.
From what I understand though, you need a hydraulic press to get the bushings out.
This is why I was asking.

I did the rear sway myself, but I didn't know about the rear bushings at the time.
It would have been nice to see if they were easy to just swap out like you say.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 02:16 AM   #11
Kamando
Captain
Rep

When I go for install I will check with the shop and see how they get they get the rear subframe bushings swapped. Hopefully I can do the install on a day when I can hang out and see how it's done. With work though I may have to just drop the car off.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #12
clark192
Second Lieutenant
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i (EU)

Awesome. Thanks to you guys, I am looking forward to trying this on the next Bimmer I get!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2009, 11:54 AM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Yes you need a special BMW press to extract and install the sub-frame bushings. I will take a photo of the tool. I didn't mean to imply that this was easy to do, but rather that if you have dug all the way in and have clear access it is more efficient to do it then. Starting from scratch this would be a lot of work.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

Here is what it will look like after
And after you drive it
Note the big difference between the 335 rear subframe bushings with the hollow areas around the metal bushing vs. the solid M3 piece. The forward bushings are a pain to install because they go in from the topside. The M3 bushings are harder to press in because there is less to compress.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #15
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here is what it will look like after
And after you drive it
Note the big difference between the 335 rear subframe bushings with the hollow areas around the metal bushing vs. the solid M3 piece. The forward bushings are a pain to install because they go in from the topside. The M3 bushings are harder to press in because there is less to compress.
I can already see the difference from your pic! I would love to drop money right now for the BMW perf suspension setup and LSD but I'm sure the wife would castrate me. Guess I'll have to start saving for those also.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep

LSD is great but $, although you might get a good price if you can chunnel over to Birds.

The Perf kit is really a good combo with your M3 parts. Put it all on at the same time and save labor $. Surely the wife can appreciate the logic.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterzM View Post
Has anyone done this to non 335s? Would it work on a 325/328/330?
Should be no problem on other models E90 or E92. The only problem I know of is the xi models. Not all pieces will fit on an xi.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #18
turbodsm
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 talon, 91 3000gt vr4, 07 r6

nevermind
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'm loving the pictures!
I wish that I would have taken more with my install.

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #20
Kamando
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudoo4u2 View Post
im curious how much install for all those parts amounts to?
I just got off the phone with the install shop to confirm the labor cost and they said it will be 57 Euro/hr for a total of 313 Euro with a VAT form. About 400 USD to install of my parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #21
kevkaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpinweiss 2009 E92 M3

Garage List
So how did it go?

2009 E92 M3 - 7/3/09 ED, 8/17/09 redelivery
1997 E36 M3 - Track Rat
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I just got off the phone with the install shop to confirm the labor cost and they said it will be 57 Euro/hr for a total of 313 Euro with a VAT form. About 400 USD to install of my parts.
I think that's very fair especially for the rear subframe bushings.

Appreciate 0