E90Post

European Auto Source (EAS)

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Heated Sport Steering Wheel vs. M-Sport/M3 Wheel. A Way to Combine the Best of Both.

03-22-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 6MT, '09 328i 6MT

Talking Heated Sport Steering Wheel vs. M-Sport/M3 Wheel. A Way to Combine the Best of Both.

I've been swapping my wheels out every Spring/Fall (lol) because I love the heated feature of the standard Sport steering wheel, but also enjoy the thicker and chiseled look (more on this below) of the M-Sport wheel in the summer.

Sadly, in the E9X generation there is no such thing as a heated M-Sport/M3 wheel. Lately Xuji/MeWant have been selling exact fit custom leather/alcantara covers for all the E9X wheels (regular, sport, M-Sport/M3).

I purchased and installed one of these on my heated Sport steering wheel to freshen it up. Surprisingly, it's just about as thick as the M-Sport/M3 one now yet still warms up nicely.

So now it almost feels like the M-Sport/M3 wheels - except for the trim cover...

This brings me to my tidbit of OCD: I dislike the curved sport steering wheel trim a lot. I find the M-Sport/M3 trim to be far more appealing with it's sharper lines. I test fitted a new M-Sport trim to see just how much of the underside of the regular heated Sport wheel housing would poke through the angular sections.

Differences:

There was a visible gap in the areas by this angle as the M-Sport trim is sharper and the regular sport trim extends further out, curving the whole way through. And the Sport wheel's body is designed to follow this design.

I pushed the wheel's overhanging areas inwards just to see what I would have to do to rectify this - push it in and glue it to the underside of the M3 trim? Then I heard a snap. The trim stuck in place on it's own!

Why? On all the steering wheels there is a lipped raised portion on the wheel itself that secures against the underside of whatever trim cover is on top. Now it fits 100% exactly like it should on a stock M-Sport/M3 wheel!

Pressing on it to show the area that can be pushed in to snap in behind the trim cover:

I've finally nailed it: a heated + M-Sport wheel on my car. No more need for seasonal swaps

TL;DR: Re-wrap & stitch a heated sport steering wheel in the cover of your choosing. Use M-Sport/M3 type trim cover and snap the wheel's body shell into it. Enjoy your custom M-Sport/M3 heated steering wheel.

Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #2
unrulyteach
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

That's a m3 trim btw but nice work other than that
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd3349.00

Yesterday, 09:28 AM   #3
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep

Yup that's exactly what I wrote - multiple times. "M-Sport/M3 trim," the fitment is identical, with the only difference being the recessed vertical area by the M logo on the bottom spoke.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:05 AM   #4
unrulyteach
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Yup that's exactly what I wrote - multiple times. "M-Sport/M3 trim," the fitment is identical, with the only difference being the recessed vertical area by the M logo on the bottom spoke.
Correct
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:17 AM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Correct
Indeed.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #6
Bimmer_Engineer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Itís look great...OCD on the trim as you already mentioned...but really nice looking nonetheless...
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd3349.00

Yesterday, 11:31 AM   #7
apexit4
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport

Any ideas on how hard it is to retro fit a heated steering wheel into an E90 with the M-Sport package?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #8
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Any ideas on how hard it is to retro fit a heated steering wheel into an E90 with the M-Sport package?
The M-Sport package doesn't affect the retrofit, it's irrelevant.

Retrofitting the heated steering wheel is the same process across all E9X. There's a DIY that documents all this, it's actually very easy to do!

Appreciate 1
apexit492.00

Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #9
tlow98
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
I've been swapping my wheels out every Spring/Fall (lol) because I love the heated feature of the standard Sport steering wheel, but also enjoy the thicker and chiseled look (more on this below) of the M-Sport wheel in the summer.

ZWaPy.jpg[/img]

TL;DR: Re-wrap & stitch a heated sport steering wheel in the cover of your choosing. Use M-Sport/M3 type trim cover and snap the wheel's body shell into it. Enjoy your custom M-Sport/M3 heated steering wheel.
I would love this! My non-sport but heated wheel is the bane of my car. The biggest issue is getting one of the updated airbags as all the sport wheels were in the recall. Any idea where to snag these newer airbags at a reasonable cost?

I know you'd didn't mention anything about the airbag specifically but thought you might have some tips - you're all over the e90 in ways that many are not. Kudos! Thanks for continually updating with this very useful stuff.
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd3349.00

Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #10
Nickco43
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
Heated wheel + clock spring + 12v power from front cig outlet delete.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:35 PM   #11
nerovega
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 328i E90

Looks great dude! I just installed the alcantara trim on my wheel. I really like that steering wheel cover. I only see a red/blue stitch option. Where did you find the white stitch?
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd3349.00

Yesterday, 11:43 PM   #12
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I would love this! My non-sport but heated wheel is the bane of my car. The biggest issue is getting one of the updated airbags as all the sport wheels were in the recall. Any idea where to snag these newer airbags at a reasonable cost?

I know you'd didn't mention anything about the airbag specifically but thought you might have some tips - you're all over the e90 in ways that many are not. Kudos! Thanks for continually updating with this very useful stuff.
My pleasure! I love this platform so much that this is my 4th E9X, lol!

I'd just get any round airbag for a sport steering wheel. Whether it'll be a newer version is a small chance unless you buy from BMW. Even then, I read that a huge bunch of the initial batches of the "post-recall" airbags have the same faulty internals - that manufacturers are going with this due to supply issues particularly in more humid climates where the incidents of failure are a little higher due to long-term moisture breakdown. I wouldn't let an older airbag worry me that much to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerovega View Post
Looks great dude! I just installed the Alcantara trim on my wheel. I really like that steering wheel cover. I only see a red/blue stitch option. Where did you find the white stitch?
Just send a message to the MeWant seller, in all their ads they specify custom colours + leather/Alcantara patterns as well. You just have to confirm this via messaging them and then make a note in the order.

Appreciate 1
      Today, 08:20 AM   #13
lnxguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

Nice job. I do the same, swap heated sport in the winter with M-Sport in the summer.