E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i e92 tail light malfunction

05-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
scully66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I 2007

335i e92 tail light malfunction

Hi
Both of my trunk tail lamps are not going with a control messages of 'Rear light left failure' and 'Rear light right failure'. I have checked the bulbs and they are going. Checked the power back to where the wiring harness goes down behind the rear seat and there is no power.
Can anyone help with anything forward of this point that might be the problem.

Cheers

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...1&d=1557542923
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
kens
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335 Coupe

I have the same problem on my right rear light, replaced bulbs, confirmed all working, but none were ever out to begin with. This didn't work. Ordered a new bulb holder ($30 or so) going to try that. I hear this fixes it.

Last edited by kens; 05-11-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 03:37 AM   #3
neilj35
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully66 View Post
Hi
Both of my trunk tail lamps are not going with a control messages of 'Rear light left failure' and 'Rear light right failure'. I have checked the bulbs and they are going. Checked the power back to where the wiring harness goes down behind the rear seat and there is no power.
Can anyone help with anything forward of this point that might be the problem.

Cheers

https://www.e90post.com/forums/attac...1&d=1557542923
Bulb holders were a major issue on the e92 and e93 when they were new, but it was only the tail lights on the body from memory. The trunk tail lights never caused an issue. Have you checked the wires from the body to the trunk lid? It is quite common for the wires to break inside the rubber gaiter. You said you had power but don't forget the earth. A light won't work with no earth.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 12:22 AM   #4
scully66
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I 2007

Thanks checked the wiring between the boot and the body. Thats like new. All the other lights work in the trunk so dont think its the earth.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
BadContrakt
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully66 View Post
Thanks checked the wiring between the boot and the body. Thats like new. All the other lights work in the trunk so dont think its the earth.

Cheers
My E90 had the dashboard lit up and I mean lit up with errors regarding lights. Blinker, brake, tail, head, DRL, I mean it was like 9 things on my iDrive screen.

I bought new bulbs to no avail
I bought new bulb sockets in the rear to no avail
I checked all wiring from the trunk lid to the wiring harnesses - all looked great

I did solve it, however...

I had my coder code out the failure errors in iDrive. I heard somewhere that once the car recognizes there's a bad connection/bulb/ground/short/etc it will disable the power to that area to prevent problems until reset in iDrive. That was true! All bulbs worked again!

Until they failed again. Well I checked the connection where the bulb meets the socket and it was black and gross looking. I used the new socket I bought and boom! Haven't failed since. The wiring all looks really good as well.

TL : DR - The root of the problem was the metal tab that touches the bottom of the bulb inside the socket. The DME constantly pulses and monitors for faults which causes corrosion at the wires and sockets. Cleared light related errors in iDrive & disabled DME's ability to check for failing bulbs. Replaced tail lamp socket. All lights working now for weeks straight.
Appreciate 0