E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > How to check out an email address ??

11-08-2017, 02:23 AM   #1
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep
Drives: Gone: E92 M3 Competition Pack

How to check out an email address ??

As title really, need to find out who, where from (country), etc details for a particular email address. Long story, cut short, I have one of my classic bikes advertised on the net, and initially had an enquiry from an overseas buyer who turned out to be a scam merchant & total arse*ole . I obviously refused to sell it to him, he has since over a long period "engineered" other individuals & companies to buy it/scam it on his behalf.

So I am now suspicious of every enquiry I get, and the whole scenario is getting a bit wearing , just need a way of finding out who the sender is, without sending them lots of probing emails and playing Sherlock Holmes all the time.

The address to reply to, is forwarded in a message from the site it is advertised on, so normal checks only reveal the sites details, not the potential buyer's, any methods legal or otherwise of checking it out would be appreciated.

I don't suppose anyone here works at GCHQ, so any suggestions greatly appreciated, please PM me if need be.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #2
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
As title really, need to find out who, where from (country), etc details for a particular email address. Long story, cut short, I have one of my classic bikes advertised on the net, and initially had an enquiry from an overseas buyer who turned out to be a scam merchant & total arse*ole . I obviously refused to sell it to him, he has since over a long period "engineered" other individuals & companies to buy it/scam it on his behalf.

So I am now suspicious of every enquiry I get, and the whole scenario is getting a bit wearing , just need a way of finding out who the sender is, without sending them lots of probing emails and playing Sherlock Holmes all the time.

The address to reply to, is forwarded in a message from the site it is advertised on, so normal checks only reveal the sites details, not the potential buyer's, any methods legal or otherwise of checking it out would be appreciated.

I don't suppose anyone here works at GCHQ, so any suggestions greatly appreciated, please PM me if need be.
Have a google for checking the headers that show the originating IP.
Then you can look up the IP to see which country it originates from.
This might be fooled by the perpetrators use of proxy servers or VPNs though.

GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAWS View Post
Thanks , but have tried that, and IP is for the site, buyer's email address (the one I want to find out about) is just a hyperlink in the text of the message from the site.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:58 AM   #4
AWSAWS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 GC Turbos, FBO, 335i DCT

so re-reading above you'll have to get them to email you from their normal email address which it looks like you can do after the first contact.

A site like this can tell you where the IP is from

https://www.iplocation.net/

If you are using something like GMail you select 'show original' to see all the header data. It's located under the arrow you click for reply, forward, print etc...

Paste in the sender IP into the IP Geolocation site
GC Turbos, FBO, JB4, DCT, Port Meth injection, BMS Charge Pipe, NGK plugs. EBC brakes and pads, LED Angel lights, LED foglights, LCI rears OCC, Braided brake lines. Custom Diff Lockdown Kit, VTT inlets, TMAP, stage 2+ fuel pump
11.79@119mph (stock turbos)
11.74@129mph (GC Turbos)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
opjose
Major
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERLIN335i View Post
Quote:
Thanks , but have tried that, and IP is for the site, buyer's email address (the one I want to find out about) is just a hyperlink in the text of the message from the site.
Post the address.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:43 AM   #6
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
so re-reading above you'll have to get them to email you from their normal email address which it looks like you can do after the first contact.
Thanks currently waiting for a direct reply, will do as suggested when/if I get it.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 12:49 AM   #7
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by opjose View Post
Post the address.
Opjose, you have a PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #8
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I'm not very IT savvy but what about the classic selling technique of having cleared funds in your account before sending the goods?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Thanks for the replies, he seems to have got bored with his game, not had any mystery buyers lately. It was just annoying, because I had to treat genuine enquiries with suspicion.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 02:33 AM   #10
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
I'm not very IT savvy but what about the classic selling technique of having cleared funds in your account before sending the goods?
Fair question. Money cleared in your account. Otherwise "do one".
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 03:18 AM   #11
MERLIN335i
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy coupe View Post
Fair question. Money cleared in your account. Otherwise "do one".
Sorry Chaps maybe I didn't explain myself properly, the person concerned is never going to buy the bike, so never going to make a payment, he is just trying to waste my time by pretending to be a genuine buyer.

The original post asked how I could find out who/where an email came from, so I could find who was a genuine buyer or if it was the ar*sehole from the US again.

From other replies, I realise that it is not possible to do this, so hopefully he will get fed up in the end.
Appreciate 0