E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > need help on 2009 e90 halogen angel eyes headlamp!!

04-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #23
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

good idea,

is the OEM bulb LED?
if I know the correct wattage or voltage or whatever it is.
I can check with a local electronic shop maybe just buy a blue color LED.
will that do too?

these oem angel eye bulb should be able to come out without doing too much work.
what happen if its burn out and need to be replaced.
I think we should be focusing on the bulb instead.
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #24
mds82
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanchan View Post
good idea,

is the OEM bulb LED?
will that do too?

these oem angel eye bulb should be able to come out without doing too much work.
a sharpie will melt off - it wont work for more then a week or 2

also any LED you buy at a local shop will be way too dim. you need a High Power LED - i can help you with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

the thing is that the bulb dosent come off.

all I did was cut a piece of plastic colored it with a sharpie and put it in front of the OEM bulb glass that it has...

A local shop around here sell 194 LEDs blue and white but theres no way of taking the bulb out since it looks like its heated sealed. the only thing would be to replace the whole piece.

What i did now is that I have 2 cellphone screen protectors that the phones come with (I work for a cellphone company so i have acces to dummy phones) and I colored those with the blue sharpie and I will apply it to the glass of the OEM piece to see what happens lol...

The real deal I believe will work if I was to have 2 small blue glass pieces that I can place infront of the glass that it brings now..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #26
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
good idea,

is the OEM bulb LED?
will that do too?

the OEM bulb is regular. the bulb dosent come off, looks like its heated sealed. the whole pices needs to be replace.

the funny thing also is that the owners manuel of the car does not show you how to replace it or what type of bulb it is, no one sells it or makes it!!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 03:40 PM   #27
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Even the BMW dealer does not know what bulb they are!! this is hilarious!! how frustraiting! lol

I sure do hope that RD comes up with a plug and play solution. if not i think I will try doing the wire riggin when the instructions are up for grabs.

for now i will keep expireimenting and reporting my findings
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 06:46 PM   #28
mds82
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkick08 View Post
Even the BMW dealer does not know what bulb they are!! this is hilarious!! how frustraiting! lol

I sure do hope that RD comes up with a plug and play solution. if not i think I will try doing the wire riggin when the instructions are up for grabs.

for now i will keep expireimenting and reporting my findings
I am going to work with e90 Andy to get ahold a a LCI halogen headlight and then i can design something for you guys.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 07:37 PM   #29
Tmcrzr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi Sdn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mds82 View Post
I am going to work with e90 Andy to get ahold a a LCI halogen headlight and then i can design something for you guys.

Yes, I think what would be a good idea...me included have had a hard time with doing anything with my angel eyes. I was even contiplating going with a whole new stock xenon setup from *******....because then I would have a option as far as changing the angel eye bulbs. But your talking a couple grand then and I just wasnt willing.....yettt =)
      04-30-2009, 08:32 PM   #30
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

well guys, I got a bit creative today beside everything i have already done today. I got a case of CD's that hold 100 cds, so i got the top thats pretty thick and clear plastic, I cut them into 2 small pieces and colored them blue with a sharpie and then I put them in front of the bulb's glass and this is what they came out to which is alottttt better than the nasty yellow IMO. by the way it of course looks nicer in person..

what do you guys think? lol ghetto!!

my next step would be to get some blue nail polish and just paint the glass.

oh and by the way i took the whole piece apart! not by the grey part thought but by the front, i was able to actually screw out the bulb (which is like one that u push down and turn it to the right once and it comes out) BUT i was not able to take it out of the actually holding becuase it has 2 very small pins that go in and out on the sides.. all i know that very small and it says phillips and 10W, and i can confirm that is not a 194 bulb...

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 06:15 AM   #31
808E90
808E90
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M

Okay so I can't seem to scan my drawing so I'm going to try and write this out in detail ... BTW you really shouldn't put any plastic objects in your light due to the fact that it might burn.

Tools:

Wire crimp
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6326649.jpg

4 Female connectors
http://www.dclinearactuators.com/wp-...ors-female.jpg

2 Self Tap Screws
http://www.lights-b2b.com/b2b/pics/S...ing_Screws.jpg

RD LEDs (Racing Dash)
http://www.360infiniteusa.com/images.../124__file.jpg

**This is a easy seven step guide**

Step one:
Open the back pannel of the headlight to gain access to your LED bulb.

Step two:
Remove your stock LED by unscrewing the two bolts and by unpluging the female connectors.

Step three:
Cut the two wires that connect to the female plug (stock connector). Try to keep the wire as ong as possible.

Step four:
Crimp on the new female connectors to the two wire that you had just cut.

Step five:
Place the RD LED over the stock inlet and use two screws two hold it down. You will find that the RD LED is just a little big and that is why you need longer screws. The RD LEDs have three hole on each side (see link above) use the middle hole.

Step six:
Fit the new female connectors on the male connectors that stick out of the back of the RD LEDs

Step seven:
Check to make sure that you didn't cut/have any open wires. Turn on your car and test out your new lights!!

Hope this helps and feel free to post any questions that you may have ... Oh and again please don't put any plastc objects in your light.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #32
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808E90 View Post
Okay so I can't seem to scan my drawing so I'm going to try and write this out in detail ... BTW you really shouldn't put any plastic objects in your light due to the fact that it might burn.

Tools:

Wire crimp
http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6326649.jpg

4 Female connectors
http://www.dclinearactuators.com/wp-...ors-female.jpg

2 Self Tap Screws
http://www.lights-b2b.com/b2b/pics/S...ing_Screws.jpg

RD LEDs (Racing Dash)
http://www.360infiniteusa.com/images.../124__file.jpg

**This is a easy seven step guide**

Step one:
Open the back pannel of the headlight to gain access to your LED bulb.

Step two:
Remove your stock LED by unscrewing the two bolts and by unpluging the female connectors.

Step three:
Cut the two wires that connect to the female plug (stock connector). Try to keep the wire as ong as possible.

Step four:
Crimp on the new female connectors to the two wire that you had just cut.

Step five:
Place the RD LED over the stock inlet and use two screws two hold it down. You will find that the RD LED is just a little big and that is why you need longer screws. The RD LEDs have three hole on each side (see link above) use the middle hole.

Step six:
Fit the new female connectors on the male connectors that stick out of the back of the RD LEDs

Step seven:
Check to make sure that you didn't cut/have any open wires. Turn on your car and test out your new lights!!

Hope this helps and feel free to post any questions that you may have ... Oh and again please don't put any plastc objects in your light.

thanks, yeh the plastic was just a test to see how they would look. these steps sound eaiser said then done. I'll have to think real hard about it before I give it a try.

thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #33
mds82
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

WOW... this reminds me of the day of PMB - or Poor Mans Brex.

Those pictures look sooo dull in brightness. I'm sure the color is good, but i know its not bright!

PS - i can re-design the LUX 5.0 Kit to work with the stock connectors, this way you dont have to worry about cutting any wires!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 09:59 AM   #34
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
WOW... this reminds me of the day of PMB - or Poor Mans Brex.

Those pictures look sooo dull in brightness. I'm sure the color is good, but i know its not bright!

PS - i can re-design the LUX 5.0 Kit to work with the stock connectors, this way you dont have to worry about cutting any wires!

sweet! how mcuh will that cost me? also taking the driver bulb is a pain, I was not even able to take it off since i dont have the correct tools but the whole intake needs to come off! pain!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #35
mds82
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
sweet! how mcuh will that cost me? also taking the driver bulb is a pain, I was not even able to take it off since i dont have the correct tools but the whole intake needs to come off! pain!
Time will tell. I need to see the headlight, design something and then take it from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #36
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

thanks Rkick08,

great find, I can live with your solution, I found some blue color / purple color CD hard plastic case and I can cut them to fit.
hard 3mm plastic wouldn't melt right?
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 12:47 PM   #37
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

well done, thanks 808E90
a few questions please:

1. I assume the entire OEM angel eye bulb assembly will be replaced, the existing grey color plastic mounting bracket, a glass piece attachment also will not be used, am I correct? due to the fact the new RD LED will be held up with longer tap screws.

2. RD LEDs - do we buy any RD LEDs in the market? any particular brand name? the one you show in the picture is 7000k. is that the one you used?

3. where do we buy longer tap screws? local hardware store

4. when you cut the OEM angel eye wiring, is there a positive and negative side?

5. when plug in the female connector, does it matter which side to plug into the RD LED?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:06 PM   #38
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks Rkick08,

great find, I can live with your solution, I found some blue color / purple color CD hard plastic case and I can cut them to fit.
hard 3mm plastic wouldn't melt right?
Not sure if it will melt or not. my goal is to get some type of glass. this also works for me. for now at least...

I was also able to unscrew the actuall bulb but i couldnt take it of the housing. if i can get that bulb out then i can see which one it take to replace it..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #39
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

I removed the entire angel eye assembly last night
the bulb itself like you said is heat melted on both sides
if you want to take the bulb out, you must break the seal
I wonder I can glue it back with silicon after

by the way 808E90's DIY looks good, simple and concise.
I think his way will totally ellimate the hassels of removing the bulb.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #40
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

the only way to remove the bulb will be by removing the top side, u need to like clip of the alumin part and then the plastic will come off giving you acceces to the bulb. then you can unscrew the bulb and from there you need to play with it to see if you can take it out...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #41
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Time will tell. I need to see the headlight, design something and then take it from there.
ok, ill be on stand by for now, maybe some blue nail polish on the glass can work to hold me down lol...

my goal now is to get some wheels!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:15 PM   #42
rkick08
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Also I think that the bulb's on the link below is the one that can replace the AE bulb inside the housing. if you look at the picutre that shows the back of it that how the bulb sort of looks from what I was able to see when I was atempting to take off..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1156-...mZ390045091944

I'm going to try agian today to see if I can take the bulb off...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #43
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

Nice try Rkick08,

your picture looks pretty good, I like it and its a simple and cost effective solution.
the color of the angel eye is white color
I am just wondering
if the OEM bulb displays yellow, you added blue marker or whatever film
isn't it blue + yellow = green
just wondering why it show up in white?

can we go to a glass shop and buy a small piece of blue color glass cut to size to fit the OEM glass piece in front of the angel eye
you see what I am talking about?

but again, Marc will say the OEM angel bulb brightness is not good enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:42 PM   #44
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep

I can't find a picture showing the back of the bulb.
but there is a blue version of this bulb on ebay too from the same seller.
nice price.

Quote:
Appreciate 0