E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Any maint. items i'm missing before I move cross-country?

05-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328i

Any maint. items i'm missing before I move cross-country?

Hey there!

I was looking for alittle adivce! As the title states, I have to move ~3000 miles and wanted to make sure my E91 328i is good to go. Here is some of the major items that have been replaced.

let me know if I'm missing anything major that I should take care of prior. (only listing major items)

Miles | Service

Valve Cover Gasket

Blower Motor & PCV valve heater

Differential fluid, At pan gasket, Plug, filter, trans fluid, Air filter, belt and tensioners, Camshaft solenoid (both)

Vapor barrier, brake fluid

Cabin air filter, AC refrigerant

Rear glass seal, sunroof seal, bulkhead support, battery cable(s)

Radiator hoses, cooling hoses, valve cover w/ gasket, brake fluid, oil filter housing gasket, upper radiator hose & cylinder head hose to thermostat hose

Radiator, Radiator plastic expansion tank, expansion tank cap, DMTL Pump, Coolant flush, Cooling hose, Leak detection pump

Battery

Power steering fluid, Brake fluid, Rotors, Pads, Calipers, Spark plugs, Coil packs, Tensioners, pulleys and belt, engine and transmission mounts, Coolant sensor, Oil temp sensor, Electric water pump, thermostat w/ housing, Coolant.

Current

One thing I can think of is the transmission fluid, which is at 52,246 miles but the tech I talked to said its good until 60,000- and the fuel pump.

Last edited by Stormhelix; 05-06-2021 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

What else is left. LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 09:40 AM   #3
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What else is left. LOL
Funny enough, I was able to think of some times.

Timing chain tensioner, DISA valve and various vacuum hoses.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:29 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhelix View Post
Funny enough, I was able to think of some times.

Timing chain tensioner, DISA valve and various vacuum hoses.
Your car has no DISA valves.

I don't think the tensioner is a problem on the N52, mine is original with almost two and a half times more mileage than your car has. Your car is not going to break just because you are driving it across country, it doesn't know where or why you are driving it; it's a machine.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #5
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I don't think the tensioner is a problem on the N52, mine is original with almost two and a half times more mileage than your car has. Your car is not going to break just because you are driving it across country, it doesn't know where or why you are driving it; it's a machine.
Tell that to my old E34 haha. I realized about the DISA valves after the post.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
kosmokramer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Mickey Mouse Flange
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 09:38 PM   #7
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
Mickey Mouse Flange
Good call, totally forgot about that. Fuel pump assembly is done, starter is done, non return check valves done, voltage regulator, both front hubs, and moly oil change coming soon. Think im good to go haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:32 PM   #8
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

So i just replaced my tensioner for my timing chain. The old one was getting caught half way to full extension and had pieces of the protective material chipping off. I'd say after 150k its more than long enough for a timing chain tensioner replacement. The replacement part was leagues better.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:10 AM   #9
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhelix View Post
So i just replaced my tensioner for my timing chain. The old one was getting caught half way to full extension and had pieces of the protective material chipping off. I'd say after 150k its more than long enough for a timing chain tensioner replacement. The replacement part was leagues better.
Interesting. How do you know the old one was not keeping the timing chain in proper tension, and if the new one is keeping better tension on the chain? I'd bet the chain, if it does stretch, elongates just a millimeter or two in the first few thousand miles and then stays there.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #10
Stormhelix
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. How do you know the old one was not keeping the timing chain in proper tension, and if the new one is keeping better tension on the chain? I'd bet the chain, if it does stretch, elongates just a millimeter or two in the first few thousand miles and then stays there.
You know, I don't know if I could give you hard data on whether it is or not. However i did have some cold start chatter which has completely gone away now. Additionally, the engine has become much quieter at idle mechanically speaking. But no "hard" evidence. Cheap part, 2 minute job to replace. Good enough for me!
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17267.00