E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Announces Price Adjustment in the US (effective Jan 5, 2015)

01-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #45
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

The BMW X3,X4,X5 and X6 are all manufactured in Spartanburg.
This will be joined by the BMW X7 in 2017.

The BMW X1,X1L and X2 will be assembled initially in Leipzig and then at satellite facilities in Brazil, and China.
      01-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #46
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 430i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqmunro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M Power View Post
Slap in the face. I'm sorry, I can't justify a price hike of any sort. The interior quality on my F30 is terrible, the drive is boring, and the car has absolutely no emotion. Once the lease on my F30 is done, no more BMW for me. Hello there, Mercedes. W205, here I come. At least the interior is nice to look at, even in the base model.
Yeah, the M4 is a great car. I do love it, but the new c63 seems like it may take the small sedan/coupe crown this time. Might pick one up myself.
The M4 and C63 aren't even the same type of car. Having owned comparable C-class, and 3-series cars, they are made for completely different types of driving. I've said this before: Mercedes makes cars for passengers, BMW makes cars for drivers. I enjoyed my Merc for different reasons compared to why I like, and prefer, my 3er.
2003 330xi (Forever in my heart )
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2015, 01:15 PM   #47
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhamDavid
Economics 101: Prices are not set by what something costs to produce, but rather by what the market is willing to pay for it. If sales drop, so will the price.
You beat me to the punch. Exactly what I always tell people when they're unhappy with the price of something. We vote yay or nay with out wallets!

If I were buying a new BMW after the prices changes took effect, I'd talk to my salesperson about a discount in the amount of the increase by corporate, after any discount you've already worked out. It's worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #48
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I cannot help but laugh upon seeing what is clearly a price increase is labelled an "adjustment." Of course, I only laugh because I prefer not to take umbrage from thinking that BMW have opted to deliberately insult my intelligence. Do BMW really think we are so feeble minded that we can't see that, or that somehow consumers will feel better about it if BMW refer to it as an "adjustment? LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #49
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

It is bs on their part, the cars cost enough for what you get in my opinion. I have yet to be in an F 30 but all I hear is how crappy the interior is. Sadly, most people will still buy or lease because it's got a bmw badge on it. I can't stand people with that elitist attitude. I can only imagine those who have 4 series and look down upon 3 series owners! Haha, sheep.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #50
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I cannot help but laugh upon seeing what is clearly a price increase is labelled an "adjustment." Of course, I only laugh because I prefer not to take umbrage from thinking that BMW have opted to deliberately insult my intelligence. Do BMW really think we are so feeble minded that we can't see that, or that somehow consumers will feel better about it if BMW refer to it as an "adjustment? LOL

All the best.
It's labelled an "adjustment" because that's what it is. A slight upward adjustment. No marketer in his right mind would deliberately announce it as an increase, even if that's what it is. Do you remember the last time BMW prices went down? I don't. BMW is hardly alone in this practice.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #51
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveanXi
It is bs on their part, the cars cost enough for what you get in my opinion. I have yet to be in an F 30 but all I hear is how crappy the interior is. Sadly, most people will still buy or lease because it's got a bmw badge on it. I can't stand people with that elitist attitude. I can only imagine those who have 4 series and look down upon 3 series owners! Haha, sheep.
4-series owners look down upon me?

My chassis is stiffer than theirs. I win.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #52
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsent View Post
It's labelled an "adjustment" because that's what it is. A slight upward adjustment. No marketer in his right mind would deliberately announce it as an increase, even if that's what it is. Do you remember the last time BMW prices went down? I don't. BMW is hardly alone in this practice.
Well, that marketers, presumably being in their "right mind," tend to put things in such a was as to gloss over the true substance of what is right before their customers' eyes is insulting to their intelligence. Personally, I think the world would function far more smoothly were a good deal less "spin" put on things that surprise nobody and that are quite plain to see by anyone with half a functioning brain.

It's been said that everything goes "retro" except prices. I agree with that idea. So, no, I've never seen the prices of cars, or many, if any, other discretionary consumer goods go down (except, of late, gasoline prices). Given that, what's lost by calling a spade a spade and simply saying "we've effected our annual price increase?" Or more likely, simply doing it and not bothering to make an announcement about it?

In my firm, we increase our billing rates annually. We tell clients it's going to happen, and we say so as plainly and concretely as possible. We don't tell them by how much until it's done. They can choose to accelerate their engagements with us in order to pay a portion of fees at the lower rate, or not. We don't refer to the increase as an "adjustment." Why should we? There is nothing wrong in the first place with the fees we charged during the year then ending.

We use that term when something was incorrect in the first place and it something was wrong with the way the things exist at the time: "Certainly. We will adjust the contract so that it reflects the revised implementation approach. We'll also adjust our fee quotation in accordance with the revisions. Though I can't give you precise numbers right this minute, I believe the effect of the revisions will be [so much in time to complete] and [so much in fees]."

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #53
dmz
Captain
Rep
Drives: me nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
The M4 and C63 aren't even the same type of car. Having owned comparable C-class, and 3-series cars, they are made for completely different types of driving. I've said this before: Mercedes makes cars for passengers, BMW makes cars for drivers. I enjoyed my Merc for different reasons compared to why I like, and prefer, my 3er.
Bro, this may be true a decade ago. Welcome to 2015. AMG build care that are arguably better driver's cars than BMW M. The current E63 handles and accelerate fater than an M5 and the new AMG GT is built competing againt the Porsche 911. Old C63 was on an older platform, the new C63 will likely handle just as good if not better than the M3/4 and the interior is light year ahead of the BMW in quality and luxury.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #54
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Looking at the new C63 stats it will be hard not to comp shop before placing an order. The body doesn't look as good in my eyes but LSD, 507hp, 516lbs, 3,600 lbs and the interior looks very nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:38 PM   #55
Zeiss
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bicycle

No change for canada, our '15 435 @ $54.900
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:54 PM   #56
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ddd View Post
amen. i am glad that someone else feels that F30 interior is cheap. The bottom door panels, behind the seat plastic covers and other small details just feel cheap. msport F30 looks good but the minute you get inside everything you touch start to feel like a let down. look but dont touch . After getting back into my E90 I felt like it was an upgrade.
as far as benzo goes, for sure it looks great. havent sat inside so not sure about the feel.
The sounds the doors make when they close sounds cheap. The 'Thunk' sounds more like a 'tink'.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #57
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
These price increases are minor and in general cars always go up in price. Go price any brand 10 years ago and tell me things have not gone up. It's just a matter of when, how often and by how much. BMW had record sales in 2014. They are doing fine and will continue to do so.

I just got a '15 X5. MSRP was over 80k. I'm happy I got in before the price hike but by the same token another 700 bucks wouldn't have made me bat an eye. It's less than 1%. I wouldn't look at another brand over 700 bucks at that level. I was also looking at Cayenne's and the ML350. The ML didn't compare to the X5. The Cayenne was great but to load it up the way my X5 was would have been a lot more than 1% more. Way over 100k on that baby. X5 with or without the extra 700 bucks a fantastic vehicle and value.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #58
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

As per usual Bimmerpost members astonish me with their ability to buy a BMW given their lack of business insight.... oh wait, that's right BMW's cost so little in the states anyone can buy one
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 07:59 PM   #59
Golden Arrow
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmz View Post
Bro, this may be true a decade ago. Welcome to 2015. AMG build care that are arguably better driver's cars than BMW M. The current E63 handles and accelerate fater than an M5 and the new AMG GT is built competing againt the Porsche 911. Old C63 was on an older platform, the new C63 will likely handle just as good if not better than the M3/4 and the interior is light year ahead of the BMW in quality and luxury.
Let's stick to the C vs. 3, okay?

AMG and M have always had differing philosophies on how to build their cars in this segment. The last AMG's numbers were better on paper than the M3, but if you drove them back to back, as I did, the M car won hands down in terms of how the car felt to drive. I have a feeling that's how this match-up will be as well. Although, I am curious to see how the car will perform when paired with all-wheel drive. Regardless of what happens, just wait until M-division gets their hands on all that carbon fiber-reinforced plastic BMW is stockpiling for the next generation cars...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:08 PM   #60
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
As per usual Bimmerpost members astonish me with their ability to buy a BMW given their lack of business insight.... oh wait, that's right BMW's cost so little in the states anyone can buy one
Actually BMW is expensive due to all the other things Americans have to be pay for which we take for granted like 4 week paid holidays and medical care for all when required.

The only reason things are cheap in the States is they are mostly subsided and their government keeps printing money to keep them afloat.

China owns America.

BMW prices here are coming down with more options as standard equipment.

You would think their throats have been cut with the small increases BMW have announced.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:12 PM   #61
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveanXi View Post
If you want crap just buy an American over priced designed and built car. All the advertising of American sports cars show burn outs because corning is beyond their capability.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #62
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Arrow View Post
4-series owners look down upon me?

My chassis is stiffer than theirs. I win.
I meant the lemmings that buy a bmw because it has a bmw emblem on it as they would know nothing more than 4 series must be better than a 3.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #63
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
If you want crap just buy an American over priced designed and built car. All the advertising of American sports cars show burn outs because corning is beyond their capability.
By crappy I meant that it's a step down from the e9x interior.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #64
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vervain View Post
I thought the X3/4/5/6 were all built in South Carolina?
Correct, all X models are produced in South Carolina except the X1.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:08 PM   #65
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
But the Euro prices of every single thing so not only cars are flying to the sky !
Seems that everything is made from gold over here and the system strangles itself !
Don't complain in the US, saw the US price adjustment it means almost nothing , because Euro car prices are 40-45 % higher and on top of this we have rediculous yearly driver taxes .
Where will it end...
You make a great point- and it wont end for those of you in Euro- BUT give it a few years- the left in the USA wants the US to become Europe so bad they can taste it. And higher prices and higher taxes will be coming on EVERYTHING. The USA buying advantage will slowly be going away- on a lot of things. But for now our transportation costs are way less than Europe- IMAGINE if Europe adopted our low energy cost metrics and lower transportation costs- the EuroZone would POWER forward- and the left of the world would get insane and pissed at the environmental destruction and waste of the the earths resources in the name of ... dare I say it.... Capitalism.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 11:35 PM   #66
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze4eMCe View Post
You make a great point- and it wont end for those of you in Euro- BUT give it a few years- the left in the USA wants the US to become Europe so bad they can taste it. And higher prices and higher taxes will be coming on EVERYTHING. The USA buying advantage will slowly be going away- on a lot of things. But for now our transportation costs are way less than Europe- IMAGINE if Europe adopted our low energy cost metrics and lower transportation costs- the EuroZone would POWER forward- and the left of the world would get insane and pissed at the environmental destruction and waste of the the earths resources in the name of ... dare I say it.... Capitalism.
I am on the left and yet I apparently don't meet your profile.

As for the U.S.'s "low energy cost metrics and lower transportation costs," I guess you have never driven a car on a lengthy commute, or owned one in a populous state or large city. And I suppose you don't take into account the trillions of dollars the U.S. has spent in the Middle East to make sure gasoline prices were low. But once you add in the military forces needed to keep those prices low, they really aren't low at all.

If Europe adopted our policies they'd have gone broke a lot sooner than they did.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0