E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Sludge in catch can + lots of oil

02-20-2024, 02:12 PM   #1
Hauteknits
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E93 N55 6MT

Unhappy Sludge in catch can + lots of oil

So recently I've been getting code 2906: Suspected leak between intake valves and turbocharger, the intake is either loose or cracked and upon removing the BMS catch can I had, I noticed some yellow sludge. I opened up the catch can and it was half full with oil and covered in sludge. I've never seen more than a drop in the catch can before so something is very wrong. Obviously moisture is getting in somewhere. I do have a minor oil leak at the drain plug, no smoke out of the exhaust, and holds power great. The only other mod I've done recently is a BMP PI kit and I've been running on E85. There's maybe only ~2500mi on this oil change and this is the first I've noticed anything. Any thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 02:23 PM   #2
Hauteknits
Private
Rep

Upon cleaning the catch can out, some clear liquid came with some of the sludge. My coolant is blue so I imagine that it might not blown head gasket (hopefully). It didn't evaporate quickly and isn't flammable either so I'm inclined to believe its water, but still no clue whats happening

Last edited by Hauteknits; 02-20-2024 at 07:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 02:06 AM   #3
Spooly
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hauteknits View Post
Upon cleaning the catch can out, some clear liquid came with some of the sludge. My coolant is blue so I imagine that it might not blown head gasket (hopefully). It didn't evaporate quickly and isn't flammable either so I'm inclined to believe its water, but still no clue whats happening
E85 definitely can lead to a lot more moisture. Are you doing a lot of short trips? Either way, the moisture will condense in the cooler catch can. How’s your oil cap look?

As for the code, have you inspected/cleaned your map sensor? Checked for boost leaks? Vacuum lines?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 04:17 PM   #4
Hauteknits
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooly View Post
E85 definitely can lead to a lot more moisture. Are you doing a lot of short trips? Either way, the moisture will condense in the cooler catch can. How’s your oil cap look?

As for the code, have you inspected/cleaned your map sensor? Checked for boost leaks? Vacuum lines?
Yes, lots of short trips. Oil cap has a teeny tiny bit of sludge on it, cleaned out everything and I'm going to keep an eye on it for now. As for the code, haven't begun to troubleshoot it yet. My MAF sensor is bad and I've been running without it for a while, so I'm going to start by replacing that as its lead to a couple of other issues and then see if the code comes back. Car drives just fine the code pops randomly under low throttle. No limp mode
Appreciate 0