E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Spec stage 3+ Pressure plate doesn’t fit mfactory SMFW!?!?

02-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Frustratedgaragemechanic
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Spec stage 3+ Pressure plate doesn’t fit mfactory SMFW!?!?

So I did a lil but of a research for a new clutch setup on my 07 335i sedan and a lot of what I saw was people running spec stage 3+ with mfactory single mass flywheel....

Well I got all the parts and my spec pressure plate doesn’t line up with with the flywheels bolt holes and ecstuning told me spec says you have to run specs flywheel....

I’m curious how so many others were able to run mfactory flywheel with no issues!?
Here’s the link to the flywheel that I got straight from jake spences YouTube video...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-team-mfa...ies&utm_term=1
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #2
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

You most likely purchased the non-sac clutch. It only works with the spec flywheel made for that clutch. You need the SAC stock style spec stage 3.
      02-26-2020, 08:27 PM   #3
DamnDatsun
Rep
Drives: Still looking

There are two versions of the spec 3+. A self adjusting clutch (SAC) and a non-self adjusting clutch.

SAC spec3+ = mfactory SMFW

Non SAC spec3+ = spec SMFW
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #4
Frustratedgaragemechanic
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Thank you guys for the replies, Ive never heard of SAC tbh always just thought sprung or unsprung clutches was it...I’ll do some research but any benefits from be SAC OR NON SAC?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
blaster3500
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedgaragemechanic View Post
Thank you guys for the replies, Ive never heard of SAC tbh always just thought sprung or unsprung clutches was it...I’ll do some research but any benefits from be SAC OR NON SAC?

The SAC portion of the clutch is the pressure plate. You will see springs in the cover. This style uses an unsprung disc (factory style). The non-SAC is your standard pressure plate and uses a sprung disc. In specs case the SAC is the factory style and can be used with most aftermarket flywheels. They make a non-SAC that can only be used with their aftermarket flywheel. The easiest way to tell the difference in the flywheel is the non-SAC is a flat flywheel with no step.
      02-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedgaragemechanic View Post
So I did a lil but of a research for a new clutch setup on my 07 335i sedan and a lot of what I saw was people running spec stage 3+ with mfactory single mass flywheel....

Well I got all the parts and my spec pressure plate doesn’t line up with with the flywheels bolt holes and ecstuning told me spec says you have to run specs flywheel....

I’m curious how so many others were able to run mfactory flywheel with no issues!?
Here’s the link to the flywheel that I got straight from jake spences YouTube video...

]
As the other posters mentioned there are 2 versions of each clutch, SAC and NON SAC. Our website deciphers them appropriately and includes the flywheels as a package so there is no mix-up. The Mfactory Flywheel is a great choice but going with the Spec Flywheel allows you to run a Sprung Clutch for improved drivability. We highly recommend the 3+ with the Spec Flywheel for that reason.
Appreciate 0