E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > no audio SOS malfunction E90 2006 water in dashboard

01-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #1
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi, 2011x3

no audio SOS malfunction E90 2006 water in dashboard

So I was cleaning my 2006 E90 dashboard and accidentally let water go down the defroster front windshield vents. I was using way too much water - so I'm the idiot...

That caused a short which immediately said - service.
When I fired up the car it made my dashboard light up with Service Engine Soon, SOS malfunction, and even for a steering wheel issue.

After unplugging the battery for a day or two and maybe some drying - the dashboard didn't go crazy anymore, but the SOS malfunction remained and No Audio. I could hear water in my blower so I took out the blower and dried it.

Given that I know it was a water issue in my dashboard - I'm wondering what was taken out in the MOST loop that took out my audio. I have taken out the radio and letting these dry more. The fuse at the back of the radio is working fine. The radio controls seem ok. It's just the volume knob - seems to do nothing.

My next action - I'll check the radio fuses? (10A on F11 radio, 20A on F31: CCC/M-ASK Radio, 30A on F34 Sound Sys Amplifier)

Once the car dries out completely, I'm going to check the fiber optic line and use a bypass loop on the AMP and Bluetooth device - if the fiber optic is connected to it.

A little confused in my trunk where the satellite radio - there is nothing - maybe satellite radio wasn't invented at the time and it's for a CD player? (a placeholder) and what looks like an optic cable available to connect. Next to that it appears to be a device that has a bluetooth symbol and motorola written on it. I'm assuming TCU?

It's hard to tell but I think there is optic cable on the other side of the bluetooth device.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Based on what you said about water in the dashboard
it's likely your Nav/idrive is bad.
The other things are symptoms of that .
Why would you start looking at stuff in the trunk if you
blew up stuff in the Dash.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the comment, ctuna. I don't have idrive. I imagine I have CIC since I'm pre-2006 build. Car starts without any problems and radio was working without problems (stations were all there and screen display was good - again just no sound and that famous SOS malfunction). So I assumed CIC was ok and radio seemed ok. So not sure what would was causing problems in the dashboard.

And I wanted to check the devices in the trunk because I imagine there is a possibility that a short in the dashboard could overload other electronics down the line -am suspicious of the Amp since it multiplies voltage.

Status update - good news:

I checked the radio related fuses including the one behind the radio unit and nothing was burnt out (visible check).

I dried out my blower fan (it had some water and sounded like it was raining outside when it was "on"). Surprised the blower didn't break from being wet. I also took the opportunity to put a little WD40 on the axle (it was getting a bit noisy these past few weeks). Not sure if that actually restores the blower.

Some time ago I took out the center speaker because it was making crackling noises - I should have put the speaker back in after unplugging but left it open. This is dangerous as water probably got into this "hole" when I was cleaning. Going to put this back on soon.

Anyhow - I let the car dry out and used contact cleaner on connections since I didn't see anything burnt out: Its cold here in Iowa so I put a space heater / passive radiator and blew a box fan to get the inside of the car warm to dry out - letting the car get up to 90degrees. (I took out the glove compartment and radio/trim/vents so the air could ventilate on that passenger side dash)

After plugging in the car and firing it up this morning - Audio came back!
he car started without problems. I'm hoping this isn't an intermittent issue. I'll update if it comes back.

My dashboard lights was originally doing this at first which freaked me out:

The gauges went crazy and everything was lighting up.

So in summary, maybe the water did short something. I will have to see how audio works over this month. Hoping that with the water out it just needed a reset.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 11:07 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Nav is the same thing as I drive the only other stock choice
its the Pro Radio with no hump in the middle of the dash
for a screen. Unless this is a non US configuration we don't know
about.

CCC/M-ASK Radio is what you mentioned in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2020, 06:54 PM   #5
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep

Bad news. The no audio/sos malfunction is intermittent- seems like at engine startup - it will tell me if it wants to work or not. Wondering where the issue could be...
Could it be in the pro radio? Maybe one part of it since the radio itself seems fine. I really hope it’s Bluetooth. That’s easy to bypass
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #6
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep

So not intermittent as audio has not come back.

I think the audio came back because I unplugged battery

I want to try testing the tcu and amp soon. Do you unplug the fiber cable while car running? Doesn’t matter

If I unplug the battery and audio works... what could be the issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 03:48 AM   #7
digi321
Banned
Rep
Drives: audi

Arrow Ambiguous is one of the top-notch website

Ambiguous is one of the top-notch website
Ambiguous IT Solutions:ambiguous solutions
Ambiguous IT Solutions:Ambiguous provide turn- key web development services that add value to your businesses. We are the best web development
company in India that provides quality rich, high end web products to enhance your business with insightful planning.
Appreciate 0