E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Oh yes, it's another combox retrofit woes post!

02-09-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
Cherubdc
England
Rep
Drives: 2007 325i SE E92

Oh yes, it's another combox retrofit woes post!

Ok, so here goes..... I have a 2007 e92 325i (UK)

Bit of background, I had a the CIC retrofitted by someone in December, I have CIC fully up to date with 6nr already loaded....then I decided I could do the combox retrofit myself! I bought a telematics combox because I found them more readily available on eBay, I do have the wiring for assist but eventually I will code all that out because I don't particularly want it even if I could get it working.

I have since fitted this but the problem I have run into is not being able to get the microphone for bluetooth telephone calls (I can hear people perfectly fine they just can't hear me) or the voice activation to hear me.
I have tried everything that I have read across all the forums and countless posts regarding trying to get this mic to work and I have come up empty handed. I have tried changing mic over most to aktiv and then nicht aktiv, I have checked my wiring over and over again. Finally located the mic wiring in the footwell and because it's a UK model it's in the drivers footwell and all that seems fine and doesn't seem to need repinning.

So....I bought another telematics combox, just in case the one I had was faulty, plugged it in on Wednesday just gone and coded it this morning but to no avail. I still have no working mic! I feel like I can't move forward with anything else until I get this issue sorted, it's driving me nuts and is an important part of the car for me. I still have 6fl, 6nr, 6ns and 6nf to get my head around!

Previous to the combox retrofit I had just the TCU and previous to the CIC retrofit I had CCC and the bluetooth for calls worked really well, couldn't ever get voice activation to work, but once CIC was retrofitted the nice man who did it for me activated Voice activation too.

So up until me fitting the combox I had working bluetooth calls and working voice activation. I have tried swapping back to the TCU and it works just fine again so I know its not a coincidence and the mic packed up in between tcu removal and combox fitting.

Please can anyone help me with this? I just don't know what else to try/do.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.

Last edited by Cherubdc; 02-09-2019 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: To add details of my car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherubdc View Post
Ok, so here goes..... I have a 2007 e92 325i (UK)

Bit of background, I had a the CIC retrofitted by someone in December, I have CIC fully up to date with 6nr already loaded....then I decided I could do the combox retrofit myself! I bought a telematics combox because I found them more readily available on eBay, I do have the wiring for assist but eventually I will code all that out because I don't particularly want it even if I could get it working.

I have since fitted this but the problem I have run into is not being able to get the microphone for bluetooth telephone calls (I can hear people perfectly fine they just can't hear me) or the voice activation to hear me.
I have tried everything that I have read across all the forums and countless posts regarding trying to get this mic to work and I have come up empty handed. I have tried changing mic over most to aktiv and then nicht aktiv, I have checked my wiring over and over again. Finally located the mic wiring in the footwell and because it's a UK model it's in the drivers footwell and all that seems fine and doesn't seem to need repinning.

So....I bought another telematics combox, just in case the one I had was faulty, plugged it in on Wednesday just gone and coded it this morning but to no avail. I still have no working mic! I feel like I can't move forward with anything else until I get this issue sorted, it's driving me nuts and is an important part of the car for me. I still have 6fl, 6nr, 6ns and 6nf to get my head around!

Previous to the combox retrofit I had just the TCU and previous to the CIC retrofit I had CCC and the bluetooth for calls worked really well, couldn't ever get voice activation to work, but once CIC was retrofitted the nice man who did it for me activated Voice activation too.

So up until me fitting the combox I had working bluetooth calls and working voice activation. I have tried swapping back to the TCU and it works just fine again so I know its not a coincidence and the mic packed up in between tcu removal and combox fitting.

Please can anyone help me with this? I just don't know what else to try/do.

Thank you for any help you can provide me.
It sounds like your mic is not pinned in correctly.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Cherubdc
England
Rep

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it, I am just off out for the evening but will reply in full tomorrow morning with pics
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #4
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Nickco43 is probably right. But also check that there are no bent pins on the combox. I bent mine not being careful and the mic stopped working.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:13 AM   #5
Cherubdc
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
It sounds like your mic is not pinned in correctly.
Morning, not sure if you mean the wires in the footwell but mine appear to be pinned in the place they should be as per this post "swap clear from pin 4 to 3. yellow 5 to 1 and black 6 to 2. "

Sorry for the huge pics.

If you meant the PnP harness I am pretty sure they are wired correctly too but I will double check again today because I did have to swap a couple of pins in that when I got it (kufatec pre made harness) because it kept ringing through to the emergency services and from research it turned out to be because the sos button was permantly but virtually being "pressed" by the mis-wire.

I will also check the combox pins as smassey321 suggested just in case they are bent.

Thank you both for your suggestions I will get on it and report back in a bit.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
Cherubdc
England
Rep

Success!! It was wiring in a roundabout way. It was the Kufatec Pnp harness adaptars/connectors that were not letting the pins/wires make a good enough connection.

I took both ends of the harness off to properly check the wires and then plugged the wire blocks straight into the combox and the TCU harness and Oh my goodness the Voice activation lady heard me and a telephone call I made the person finally heard me!

I cannot begin to tell you how chuffed to bits I am that it is now working - three long weeks of reading and trying everything bar plugging in with those bloody connectors off!! Lesson learned....even when you buy a ready made piece don't assume that it is going to work as it should! I had already had to move some of the pins previously because they were pinned wrongly for the sos call.

I just need to find some new connectors that sit down properly now and don't need sides grinding off (it arrived like that!) and pieces cut out of them for them to fit.

Once again, thank you both for taking the time to reply to me
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #7
Jaybee330d
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90,330d,2010

I have an issue very similar to this but have factory cic idrive and voice control the Bluetooth works fine and the mic looks pinned correctly just can’t seem to get it to work �� I only have 3 wires in the plug the op posted
Appreciate 0