E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Misfiring engine

12-20-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

Hey all,

Yesternight while drive my smooth-i6 suddenly started misfiring. The CEL came on so I checked codes and this is what I got:

2E1A
29D1
2E1D

I then cleared the codes and started the vehicle up again, this time only getting 29D1 at idle.

Is this a faulty coil? Or something worse?
Pics of INPA below (cats are previously known issue)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 06:56 PM   #2
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update: so I switched ignition coil 5 and 2 to see if it was just the coil and the problem persists. (Cyl 2 remains unaffected)

So I guess it wasn't the coil :
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #3
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by busted323i View Post
Update: so I switched ignition coil 5 and 2 to see if it was just the coil and the problem persists. (Cyl 2 remains unaffected)

Quote:

how old are your plugs? any oil buildup in the affected cylinder?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicktim View Post
Quote:

Quote:

Plugs are brand new (<4 months old)
When I pulled the coils there was no oil near the plugs.

I didn't remove the plugs to check for fouling tho, should I? I assumed they weren't fouled due to how new they are
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #5
sicktim
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I didn't remove the plugs to check for fouling tho, should I? I assumed they weren't fouled due to how new they are
Any drivability issues? Can you feel the misfire or is it just throwing the code?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 09:41 AM   #6
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Any drivability issues? Can you feel the misfire or is it just throwing the code?
Yea the misfire is felt at idle. Sounds like 5 cylinders are firing and the whole car vibrates.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 08:45 AM   #7
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
It could be fuel injectors, I knew someone who has a persistent misfire and replacing all injectors with rebuilt ones did the trick.

I would also try swapping the cyl 6 and 1 coils beforehand. If you still have Bosch coils it might just be a good idea to replace all with Delphi/Eldor. You might need to modify the connector or replace the connector with the updated part number if your car is made before 04/06. BMW has a service bulletin about this: SI B12 18 14
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #8
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5124 View Post
It could be fuel injectors, I knew someone who has a persistent misfire and replacing all injectors with rebuilt ones did the trick.

I would also try swapping the cyl 6 and 1 coils beforehand. If you still have Bosch coils it might just be a good idea to replace all with Delphi/Eldor. You might need to modify the connector or replace the connector with the updated part number if your car is made before 04/06. BMW has a service bulletin about this: SI B12 18 14
Yea I'm fairly certain I have the old coils. Thanks for the service bulletin

Really was hoping it wasn't the injectors but I feel like your right. Maybe Santa will bless me with some injectors
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:02 PM   #9
busted323i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update:

The engine just randomly stopped misfiring. Took it to a shop anyways and they said when they cleared the codes none came back, but there is a "cylinder 6 misfire" code permanently stored in the DME. Also oil level is down to 3/4 one week after the shop trip.
(I've been starting the car in -30 no garage)

So I guess I'll update this thread again if it happens again :
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #10
jballs
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Random Misfire codes

I have a 2006 325i e90. I recently replaced the motor with a a used one. Put eveything back together. The car started and ran fine howver, it does not always idol. Will stall at red lights (but not all), also thowing misfire codes on random cylinders. But runs strong. Also threw an ambient air temperature code yesterday. Thinking it has to be a ground right? Any other thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #11
mike5124
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i (E90)

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballs View Post
I have a 2006 325i e90. I recently replaced the motor with a a used one. Put eveything back together. The car started and ran fine howver, it does not always idol. Will stall at red lights (but not all), also thowing misfire codes on random cylinders. But runs strong. Also threw an ambient air temperature code yesterday. Thinking it has to be a ground right? Any other thoughts?
Sounds like a bad vacuum leak, any codes? The hoses for the CCV are notorious for cracking.
Appreciate 0