E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Backup camera

01-02-2022, 12:35 AM   #1
BimmerBoy23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i E93

Would anyone happen to know where these wires are supposed to connect to if they even need to be connected? I bought the camera that replaces the trunk latch with a new one but not sure if it's needed to be connected to anything. Also what is in the second picture and is it needed?[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 03:06 AM   #2
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

According to my Chinese reading skills, the object in the second picture is a Car Camera Filter.
Appreciate 1
      01-02-2022, 06:10 AM   #3
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I have similar camera and it was pain to get working 100%.

Wiring try 1:
In the 2nd image is a filter that should smooth the noisy +12V feeded to the camera. Just some diodes/capacitors inside. I didn't use it as I think the diode make the voltage drop so that the camera won't power on. It works fine without it just don't expect crystal clear picture.

Wiring try 2:
I did use an relay that is switched on when the reverse lights are active.
The relay switched +12V (fused) from the battery to the camera.

However this did not always work as the reverse light is not +12V but somewhere around 9 to 10V.
Relay minimum voltage to switch was 8.1V but as reverse lights voltage is not constant +12v.
Resulting sometimes camera did not activate when reversing.

Potential solution:
Get different relay that energize range is from 6v up to 12v (essentially a 9v relay).

What ended up working 100% times:
However since i have android HU it has reverse sense (pink wire) and camera +12V (brown wire) outputs.
Routed these two wires to the trunk (if you have automatic can probably use sense wire there).
Sense (pink wire) is connected to reverse lights.
Camera ground uses reverse lights negative.
Camera +12v from HU (brown wire) goes to camera.

Was not easy to push RCA through the grommet where rest of the wires are but doable.

Now it works as should and always with minimal distortion.

Also, the camera uses RCA plug to feed the video signal with built in +12V wire. So if you have OEM HU i don't know how to proceed.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 01-02-2022 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 03:06 PM   #4
pmorg4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Touring LCI

If you know how to code, simply code out the PWM (pulse width modulation - basically very fast switching off/on to control the voltage) for the reverse light bulbs. You can then connect directly to the reverse light without any filters or relays etc and it will work perfectly.

Have a look in the coding forum here.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 12:45 AM   #5
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

I have a similar unit and ended up not using the decoder. Wired power for the camera to the reverse lights and it works consistently (I have coded out PWM as well). The hardest part is getting the wiring through the car. Given how cheap the cameras are, if the one you have doesn't work it may be easier to try your luck with a different unit.
Appreciate 0