E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > AVIN 8.8inch - who has this?

09-29-2021, 10:15 AM   #617
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
For those of you who started with a non-iDrive car and added one of these units, did you get the optional iDrive controller? Is it at all useful, given that the display is a touch screen?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #618
earlster
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix E91, BMW 335is Vert

I just installed the lates Android 11 Avin unit and have a few observations that I hadn't noticed before in all the various comments and documentation on the avin support site. I might have missed some, though, since there is so much information.

Avin has a new app to support Car Play and Android Auto. Zlink. This app is awesome and allows for WIRELESS Android Auto, without any additional dongles or adapters. I expected to have to use a USB connection for Android Auto, and this made my day.

The main Avin harness is now wired to directly connect to the CIC HU aux by default, no need to run a cable to the armrest anymore, but it requires coding to use the HU aux instead of the armrest HU. See here https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...ght=delete+6fl
It is still possible to run a cable to the armrest, simply unplug the AUX connection in the main harness and plug in the AUX cable to the armrest.

Last edited by earlster; 11-07-2021 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: Fixed some fat finger typos
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2021, 02:53 PM   #619
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

I'd imagine you can update older units software?

Anyone done this?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #620
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
Pre-lci so CCC idrive. Works fine, had to mess with a couple of settings to get it to display, but the instructions did make it clear that what i had to do may be necessary.

I can switch to the factory screen with a press of a button and the reverse PDC screen thing comes up straight away when I put it in R.

The sound is great, reason i went with this model is it has inbuilt DSP so i`ve now got something like 37 levels/bands to adjust. I do have a filter on my aux from a previous bluetooth mpow device, I`ve left that in as it`s supposed to reduce hiss. Car is sounding really nice and overall i`m happy.

I am currently talking to the vendor about an issue with accessibility settings being reset on each boot (means i can't use Tasker properly). They may come up with a fix or I may stumble on a way to do it myself.

Also I`ve had an issue with my alarm going off after I unlock the car with the FOB and open the door. I think this may be because I hardwired my Dcan cable and its some kind of OBD2 alarm. Seen the code changes I need to make on here to stop it, just haven`t got round to hooking NCSexpecrt up yet. EDIT 30/09 - Have confirmed this is 100% an issue with the canbus supplied with this headunit - waiting on fix but peeps should be wary if considering a purchase

I think I just spent 2hrs reading this entire thread, and worrying that sound squality would be junk on this. I'm about to purchase the New Android 11 unit, and it sounds like the sound quality issues are resolved for you?

I'm in an 08 w/ CCC and NAV. Does this mean I'll still have to use the AUX audio in the armrest? earlster above noted a straight digital connection to the CIC unit. I don't htink the CCC has one. Is that what the culprit is for the signal loss? I'm currently using either traditional radio or my Tune2Air unit for music from my phone (which isn't superb, but it's fine and I'd accept that).

It sounds like the international version (8G) has no sim card support, but the US Version (6GB) does. I'm torn between a bit more memory and futureproofing, or the potential to add a sim card later (I'll just hotspot for now), and ... futureproofing.

Appreciate the post.

Should I get all the bells and whistles?

* GPS Splitter?
* AUX splitter?
* I want wireless autoplay, should I get the USB adapter option?
* External mic (consensus seems like a yes on this)
* TPMS monitor (or do you just flip back to the stop module?)

Really looking forward to upgrading this and bringing my car into the 20th century!

Last edited by AWD Addict; 12-16-2021 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #621
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Hey bud. I refunded this unit. I didn`t operate the way I wanted it to. Yes it sounded okay. Did i use it enough for an objective review (other than new toy joy), no.

You do lose the Armrest Aux in (you could use a spliter).

The unit I had interfered with my alarm disarming and i would have to wait 30 seconds for it to disarm the movement sensors. (this was the main reason I got a refund)

It also didn`t allow you to keep accessibility options turned on, which you need when trying to automate things using apps like Macrodroid or Tasker.

Overall a shit experiance - the vendor did try bless them, they sent me about 3 new roms/update files. None worked.

The vendor I used said they would refund if I sent it back to China - that would have been half the cost of the unit to do - Luckily paypal refunded me when i complained so also bare that in mind as i may have got lucky.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #622
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Okay wow. Thanks for the speedy response. I don't use taxker or macrodroid (maybe I should look into that?).

I'm going to add the AUX splitter.

I'm guessing your alarm is aftermarket? I don't ahe that, so I'm not sure I'll run into problems there.

Given that, in my position, would you more likely hve been to keep it? Triangulating between your issues and my position, it sounds like maybe I should still give it a go.

I'm hoping there's some kind of solution for audio quality, but it sounds like you weren't too bothered by it which is great.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #623
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

No man, my alarm is stock. Maybe the e93 one is a bit different and they hadn`t accounted for it in their software.

Just to be clear - i`m not talking about the Avin as title is quote but a cheap one from aliexpress.

I would have probably kept it if the alarm thing wasn`t happening. Tasker or macrodroid allows you to launch app`s on certain conditions and then make touches/clicks for you, so the idea was to launch MHD and Torque side by side and have all the dials anyone oculd want
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2021, 01:17 PM   #624
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
No man, my alarm is stock. Maybe the e93 one is a bit different and they hadn`t accounted for it in their software.

Just to be clear - i`m not talking about the Avin as title is quote but a cheap one from aliexpress.

I would have probably kept it if the alarm thing wasn`t happening. Tasker or macrodroid allows you to launch app`s on certain conditions and then make touches/clicks for you, so the idea was to launch MHD and Torque side by side and have all the dials anyone oculd want
Ok.

Tasker sounds pretty slick. Gotta check it out. Appreciate the input. I think I'm going to plow ahead here, and I'll report back. I'm going to add all the extra
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2021, 03:17 PM   #625
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

i bought a mekede 10.25 662 6g ram blue screen android 11 unit back in nov when it was on sale. They sent me a 12.5", with the wrong backup camera. Its bigger then what i wanted, but returning it was over 100$ in shipping back to china, so i decided to keep it.

I got the idrive controller but it was a waste, i never use it. Looks nice tho.

I got the gps splitter so i could use the shark fin but reception was poor compared to the gps antenna they include in the kit, so im not using the splitter.

I have logic7 and the audio is fine. I didnt need to run the wire to the aux.

It has built in android auto, although im not sure i would count on it working super smoothly. i saw a big of skip/lag with spotify. I do have an older phone with bt 4 so that might be the issue. However i mainly stream songs that i have saved on my phone and my gps software (cygic) is installed on the android unit itself, so i dont really have any heavy streaming to do off my phone, so in that case even the wireless android auto works ok.

The call quality is really good. I remember reading a bunch of complaints about that. I wasnt driving when i made the call, just parked with the engine running, so maybe that was a factor..and i do have a separate mic installed that i ran to the top left corner of the windshield, so that helps since its pretty close to my face.

I had a small issue one night where my dome lights didnt work until i shut off the car. Aside that it has been fine. Im happy with it so far..my mind might change in a few days, or months, who knows. But in terms of features and functionality, it's good. Mind you i had no screen at all before, so anything was a step up.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 07:57 AM   #626
avillamarin
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW  [0.00]
i just installed my Avin 8.8 on my e90 LCI. the installation was pretty straight forwards had few hiccups but nothing i couldnt manage and their customer service its not the best but once you get a hold of someone then they will help you. just getting on its a mission.

i got the kit and realized that
1- make sure you remove the harness tape, the tape makes harness too thick to close up the unit and move cable to the driver side and the big plug to the passenger side, you will need to remove the glove box.
2- the GPS splitter its a most coz my stock cable was too short,
3- the microphone its not need it at least on my car,
4- DO NOT PUT aux volume to max it will sound like crap! I put mine to minimum and wow sounds so good had to lower the treble and raise the bass but its legit so much better.
5- if doing backup camera and having wireless senders and receiver you need to use the reverse light positive(left side - Black/Violet / Right side - Black/Blue) and negative(Brown). took me a whole day figuring this out especially without a multimeter and the reverse light on the BMW its a whole different setup i was used to.
6- ZLink, make sure your android its debugged, just enable developer mode and turn it on there mine was giving me issues until i debugged it.
7- not sure if the actual unit do updates but the google store and the android apps do. if you use MHD you can put the gauges on, looks really dope.

thats what i have for now, i am having issues of the system not saving my settings like my units going to Liter and not staying in gallons and my CAN going to the EVO and not staying on CIC.

also i wish it had move UI options than the AVIN8.8 that came with. i read that it can be added but waiting for my SD card to come and try.

hope this help someone out there especially with point #5 took me a whole day and half to find this info
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 11:30 AM   #627
earlster
Rep
Drives: BMW 328ix E91, BMW 335is Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
I think I just spent 2hrs reading this entire thread, and worrying that sound squality would be junk on this. I'm about to purchase the New Android 11 unit, and it sounds like the sound quality issues are resolved for you?

I'm in an 08 w/ CCC and NAV. Does this mean I'll still have to use the AUX audio in the armrest? earlster above noted a straight digital connection to the CIC unit. I don't htink the CCC has one. Is that what the culprit is for the signal loss? I'm currently using either traditional radio or my Tune2Air unit for music from my phone (which isn't superb, but it's fine and I'd accept that).

It sounds like the international version (8G) has no sim card support, but the US Version (6GB) does. I'm torn between a bit more memory and futureproofing, or the potential to add a sim card later (I'll just hotspot for now), and ... futureproofing.

Appreciate the post.

Should I get all the bells and whistles?

* GPS Splitter?
* AUX splitter?
* I want wireless autoplay, should I get the USB adapter option?
* External mic (consensus seems like a yes on this)
* TPMS monitor (or do you just flip back to the stop module?)

Really looking forward to upgrading this and bringing my car into the 20th century!
Haven't checked this thread in a while, so sorry for the late reply.
My connection to the CIC head unit was via AUX, not digital. The harness that came with my AVIN did have the connections already set up to use the headunit AUX, but that might be different for CCC. I did have to do some coding to use the headunit AUX.
- The AUX splitter is only needed if you want to still have an AUX connection in your armrest, while also having the AVIN plugged in there.
- You don't need the USB adapter for wireless Android Auto, the latest version of the ZLink software does it all over BT/Wifi. There might be some minimal Android version requirement for you phone, I have a Samsung S21 and it just worked.
- I did not hook up the external mic, and it's using the mic in my phone, so I can't leave my phone in my pocket.
- For TPMS I just use the factory stuff (or none for my winter wheels)

As for sound quality, there might be better if you are an audiophile, but IMHO it sounds pretty darn good, it's a car, not a HiFi listening room. My car has Logic 7, and you can still use the equalizer, etc.

Last edited by earlster; 01-25-2022 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2022, 12:34 AM   #628
nthnthnthnth
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Quote:
Okay wow. Thanks for the speedy response. I don't use taxker or macrodroid (maybe I should look into that?).

I'm going to add the AUX splitter.

I'm guessing your alarm is aftermarket? I don't ahe that, so I'm not sure I'll run into problems there.

Given that, in my position, would you more likely hve been to keep it? Triangulating between your issues and my position, it sounds like maybe I should still give it a go.

I'm hoping there's some kind of solution for audio quality, but it sounds like you weren't too bothered by it which is great.
The sound quality really isn't that bad at all. I have the HiFi system and it's as good as aux was before. The limiter isn't the Android unit (or shouldn't be), it's the fact that it's running through aux. Get a model with at least the Snapdragon 625 in it so you get a decent DSP, make sure the firmware is up to date, get a better quality aux cable than what came with the unit, make sure the connections are good, and don't turn the aux volume slider on the Android unit up all the way. If it's not good enough, get a USB DAC or try this: https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...7-e88-e89.html Keep in mind too that you're probably going to be driving most of the time you are in the car. At some point with road noise it's going to be difficult to perceive any differences in sound quality.

Last edited by nthnthnthnth; 02-10-2022 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-22-2022, 04:26 PM   #629
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Okay. Unit install was completed last Friday. I had a local car stereo shop that's done this before perform the install.

Initial review - ride home: This unit did everything perfectly for that ride. Google Assistant worked great, and would queue up pandora or my nav, and worked great. I liked the interface, and all my steering wheel and idrive controls worked great. Screen is really nice quality. Flipping back to the OE system was a breeze. I also really like the "front end" gui, which seemed slick and easy to use. It looks great in the car. I even thought the audio quality was pretty good (which was one of my chief concerns in going with this.)

After futzing around with it the following day, I was having some trouble, but I just had to reinitialize the ZLink app (for wireless android auto/assistant) and it's all working great.

I'm headed out on a roadtrip today, so I'll have some more time with it and I'll report back. So far, gigantic improvement in the car's tech functionality. We'll see how she fares after the honeymoon wears off.

AA

Last edited by AWD Addict; 02-23-2022 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 02:32 PM   #630
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Following up on the new unit.

* I'm using android auto for hte most part because the google maps interface is much more friendly than using hte google maps app - which is harder to read and operate. It's a big improvement over the stock nav, has excellent intergration with android's voice commands.

Only complaint is when the screen "splits" to show both your music and the maps, the idrive wheel only really works on whatever side of the screen its already on. So if it's on the pandora side for example, I'd need to touch the screen on the map side for the idrive wheel to work on that side. There's got to be a way to skip over to the screens other side, but I've yet to figure it out.

* I'm using the android assistant for pretty much everything (calls, music & podcasts via spotify, audacy and pandora) and it's working really well. On android auto, the steering wheel skip-ahead buttons are reversed, but work . Up is back, and down is skip ahead. There are a lot of settings in the factory settings to check and make sure are right, including idrive type, screen type/size, etc. Worth a double check. Voice controls are generally fine, and as noted above, the idrive wheel works pretty good as long as it's on the right side of the screen.

* Phone integration is probably the biggest issue for me right now. The assistant easily calls whomever I tell her to, but when the call ends, my ZLink is disconnecting and won't recconect unless I toggle bluetooth off and on again on my phone. This one's a bit baffling to me. Calls are being made through the AVIN GUI, and I would have thought that it'd all happen via Android Auto when it's laying over the system operating underneath. Even weirder, while it happens most of the time after a call, occasionally it doesn't, and just stays connected.
(ALL RESOLVED IN POSTS AHEAD)

* Sound quality is fine. It's certainly not audiophile quality, but there are no audible hisses, and it's generally as good as the Tune2Air Bluetooth connection I was using before, which is good enough.

Generally, it's a massive upgrade. Screen quality, modern and functional voice commands, major NAV improvement - this brought the car into the 21st century pretty nicely.

Anyone got any tips on the zlink disconnecting after my calls?

AA

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-14-2023 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2022, 07:09 PM   #631
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:

I am wondering if anyone has found a unit that Macrodroid, Tasker etc. work on. I would really like that functionality since I am all Adroid for my phone etc. and am very used to Macrodroid automating tasks.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:31 AM   #632
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
* Phone integration is probably the biggest issue for me right now. The assistant easily calls whomever I tell her to, but when the call ends, my ZLink is disconnecting and won't recconect unless I toggle bluetooth off and on again on my phone. This one's a bit baffling to me. Calls are being made through the AVIN GUI, and I would have thought that it'd all happen via Android Auto when it's laying over the system operating underneath. Even weirder, while it happens most of the time after a call, occasionally it doesn't, and just stays connected.

Anyone got any tips on the zlink disconnecting after my calls?

AA
Following up on this. When in Android Auto - it appears as though the AVIN unit defaults to it's own phone app when a call comes in/is made, rather than using the android auto phone feature. What's insane, is that I can't find a setting anywhere in ZLink, in Avin or in Android that will allow me to pick my preference for how phone calls are managed. I think if I could have the system default to using Android Auto rather than the AVIN phone feature, this would all go away. AVIN is exiting from AA to manage the call, and disconnecting ZLink.

When the call's over, the phone app closes, but Zlink gets stuck trying to recnnect to AA. If I could have AA handle my calls, this annoying bug should be done with. It's totally counterintuitive to have to pick up my phone after every call, and diconnect/reconnect BT. The whole point is I don't want to pick up my phone while driving!

Anyone with any insight?

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-14-2023 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:13 PM   #633
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Following up on this. When in Android Auto - it appears as though the AVIN unit defaults to it's own phone app when a call comes in/is made, rather than using the android auto phone feature. What's insane, is that I can't find a setting anywhere in ZLink, in Avin or in Android that will allow me to pick my preference for how phone calls are managed. I think if I could have the system default to using Android Auto rather than the AVIN phone feature, this would all go away. AVIN is exiting from AA to manage the call, and disconnecting ZLink.

When the call's over, the phone app closes, but Zlink gets stuck trying to recnnect to AA. If I could have AA handle my calls, this annoying bug should be done with. It's totally counterintuitive to have to pick up my phone after every call, and diconnect/reconnect BT. The whole point is I don't want to pick up my phone while driving!

Anyone with any insight?
mine does the same (calls through the phone app and not android auto). i have the 12.5" 662 unit from mekede. But, my zlink doesnt disconnect like yours. What does happen is sometimes when i receive a call or place a call, the person doesnt hear me, as if the mic isnt working. I thought at first that maybe it was a mic issue but whenever i "ok google" that works fine.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2022, 11:03 AM   #634
Darkcityavenger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Black on Black Conv

Garage List
2013 BMW 335IS  [0.00]
I'm looking to get this same unit and was wondering if anyone had contacted their customer support to see if they can help figure out the calling problem?
      06-07-2022, 11:46 AM   #635
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I've been intending to get on their chat line, which previously has been pretty good with problem solving. Just haven't got it done yet.

I've been contemplating deleting the native phone app from the unit, and trying another (like the stock google phone app perhaps). It seems like when the Avin phone app takes over, it forces itself on top of Android Auto's bluetooth connection. This is also why I don't have AA's navigation up when I'm on the phone, which is really annoying.

I'll try the customer service chat today and report back. In the meantime, I'm going to try and see what the AVIN unit's android settings allow for on changing the default phone app.

https://www.howtogeek.com/798736/how...0App.%E2%80%9D

Last edited by AWD Addict; 06-07-2022 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 08:33 AM   #636
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
I've been intending to get on their chat line, which previously has been pretty good with problem solving. Just haven't got it done yet.

I've been contemplating deleting the native phone app from the unit, and trying another (like the stock google phone app perhaps). It seems like when the Avin phone app takes over, it forces itself on top of Android Auto's bluetooth connection. This is also why I don't have AA's navigation up when I'm on the phone, which is really annoying.

I'll try the customer service chat today and report back. In the meantime, I'm going to try and see what the AVIN unit's android settings allow for on changing the default phone app.

https://www.howtogeek.com/798736/how...0App.%E2%80%9D

This is weird. I am not an android user, but when using CarPlay on my Avon unit, all calls route through the CarPlay phone app, even when one moves away from the CarPlay interface.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #637
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I've got the default Google phone app installed, and set as primary. But the shitty Chinese phone app (SCPA) still barges in over AA. Same if I open the Google phone app and make a call. SCPA barges in.

That's why I'm having reconnect issues. It robs the BT connection from AA. Then AA sometimes has trouble taking it back when the call is over.

There's no default app that came with the avin. So there's no native app I can even delete. Even in the play store or via android settings on the unit. It's almost like the phone feature isn't an app, but hardwired into the front end.

There's a split second where I can actually see AA take over that call before the SCPA take over, so I know if I could get that SCPA feature to turn off, AA would work for calls while the Nav is still up, and this would be awesome.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 08-14-2023 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #638
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
I've got the default Google phone app installed, and set as primary. But the shitty Chinese phone app (SCPA) still barges in over AA. Same if I open the Google phone app and make a call. SCPA barges in.

That's why I'm having reconnect issues. It robs the BT connection from AA. Then AA sometimes has trouble taking it back when the call is over.

There's no default app that came with the avin. So there's no native app I can even delete. Even in the play store or via android settings on the unit. It's almost like the phone feature isn't an app, but hardwired into the front end.

There's a split second where I can actually see AA take over that call before the SCPA take over, so I know if I could get that SCPA feature to turn off, AA would work for calls while the Navy is still up, and this would be awesome.
Any luck asking the maker of the unit if there is a way to delete or replace the built-in phone app? What we really need is someone who knows how to actually write/edit code. I bet they would resolve all issues in one weekend of playing with one of these things.
Appreciate 0