E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replace front brakes now have a Christmas tree

08-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #1
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Replace front brakes now have a Christmas tree

So like the title says. I replaced my front brakes today. Changes the pad sensor also. I was careful with everything. Check brake fluid resivor to make sure it was proper level when done. Pumped brakes up before starting. Finally start car to go drive and get the pads broke in. Didn't even move a foot and traction control light came on. 4x4 malfunction and brake light. Just curious as to what would cause then. I then got bsck under neath to make sure I didn't maybe break the abs sensor and to make sure pad wear sensor was plugged in correctly. Everything was good. Got bsck in drove 10ft and the lights went off. Confused to as to why this happened. Couldn't check codes cause mhd won't tell you anything other than engine codes it seems like.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #2
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog573 View Post
So like the title says. I replaced my front brakes today. Changes the pad sensor also. I was careful with everything. Check brake fluid resivor to make sure it was proper level when done. Pumped brakes up before starting. Finally start car to go drive and get the pads broke in. Didn't even move a foot and traction control light came on. 4x4 malfunction and brake light. Just curious as to what would cause then. I then got bsck under neath to make sure I didn't maybe break the abs sensor and to make sure pad wear sensor was plugged in correctly. Everything was good. Got bsck in drove 10ft and the lights went off. Confused to as to why this happened. Couldn't check codes cause mhd won't tell you anything other than engine codes it seems like.
And just add I didn't even get to properly break in the front pads before I either blew a coil or fouled a spark plug as soon as I got on the road lol. Then a storm came in so I can't even diagnose that further till tomorrow so I'll have to drive to work on 5 cylinder. Like what's up with my luck today
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:11 PM   #3
Luna118
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog573 View Post
And just add I didn't even get to properly break in the front pads before I either blew a coil or fouled a spark plug as soon as I got on the road lol. Then a storm came in so I can't even diagnose that further till tomorrow so I'll have to drive to work on 5 cylinder. Like what's up with my luck today
+1
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

It is pretty normal you get that trifecta of lights and as soon as you drive a few feet they will automatically clear as it recalibrates. You will get them if you disconnect the battery and for many other reasons if something is disconnected or if the ABS sees something a bit funny, so probably just that first press once started was low in pressure and set them off. As long as they clear after you drive a very short distance nothing to worry about. If they come on regularly or stay on then there are a few things that can cause it, transfer case clutch actuator, bad wheel sensor, abs module failing, but yours sounds normal.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #5
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
It is pretty normal you get that trifecta of lights and as soon as you drive a few feet they will automatically clear as it recalibrates. You will get them if you disconnect the battery and for many other reasons if something is disconnected or if the ABS sees something a bit funny, so probably just that first press once started was low in pressure and set them off. As long as they clear after you drive a very short distance nothing to worry about. If they come on regularly or stay on then there are a few things that can cause it, transfer case clutch actuator, bad wheel sensor, abs module failing, but yours sounds normal.
And after I reset the front brake pads in the computer it says they only last till 9000 miles. My rear say 38000 lol
Appreciate 0