E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Tips on car on leasing, PCH

07-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #1
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 06 330i M-Sport

Tips on car on leasing, PCH

I'm looking to replace my beloved e90 for a brand new car (unfortunately not another BMW as they are too expensive on lease) and rather than spend my savings I am looking to take up a personal lease.

This is the first time I've looked at paying for a car in this way but it seems logical not to tie up my money in another car which will only loose more money than the cost of a lease agreement. I normally change cars every 2/3 years, as I get bored, find fault and then decide I need something new

Is there anything I would be careful of when paying for a car in this way?

Last edited by BMW-330i; 07-13-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #2
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Make sure you will not exceed the mileage that is allotted for the lease term or you will pay extravagant over mileage charges......plus read over the lease agreement in its entirety to truly understand your obligations and other legal matters.
Also make sure where you will be parking/driving and using the leased car it will not get accelerated wear....eg,dirt roads,horrible construction routes or under trees that will damage paint as this will diminish the value and you may be penalized if excessive wear.
Again refer to agreement for obligations and make sure you read it before you actually sign....I recommend have them draft up the agreement then go home and read it over for a couple days so you truly understand everything contained within it....also gives you a chance to back out of deal or shop around if having second thoughts.
GL
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #3
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the advice. I've seen a few deals; VW Scirocco R line (180 bhp), Seat Lean Cupa (290 bhp), Focus St3, Nissan Qashqai all at around £200 per month online.

The e90 is such a comfortable car it's tricky to find a replacement. The unfortunate thing is that it's becoming a regular visitor to the mechanics with things going wrong and my mods so has cost in excess of 5k over the last two years of ownership.

It's the misses who introduced the idea, she's normally highly sceptical about spending money. I feel its her way of stopping me spending money on mods

It would save me money and get me into something brand new. I'm still mulling over the idea, my car seems so much nicer than anything I've been looking at.

Has anyone had good/bad experiences when using online brokers?

Last edited by BMW-330i; 07-12-2016 at 12:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
pmmcbl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 335i M-Sport

There are a few things you need to decide and consider.

Do you know what car you want? This will make the process much easier. Or if you not fussed you may get a great deal.

Ensure when you are looking at the prices it does include vat and what deposit is required 3-9 months is most common. Depending on the car it can be cheaper in some cases to get them from a dealer. The German brands have their own finance business which will have good rates, worth a look.

On contract term, 24 months are best especially on a brand new model. The most common term is 24 months and 20k. If this suits you I wouldn't take with maintenance since on paper is not cost effective.

I work for a leasing company and can help you with some rates. We do have some deals but all depends on what you are after. Remember the car isn't yours at the end of the term.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #5
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmcbl View Post
There are a few things you need to decide and consider.

Do you know what car you want? This will make the process much easier. Or if you not fussed you may get a great deal.

Ensure when you are looking at the prices it does include vat and what deposit is required 3-9 months is most common. Depending on the car it can be cheaper in some cases to get them from a dealer. The German brands have their own finance business which will have good rates, worth a look.

On contract term, 24 months are best especially on a brand new model. The most common term is 24 months and 20k. If this suits you I wouldn't take with maintenance since on paper is not cost effective.

I work for a leasing company and can help you with some rates. We do have some deals but all depends on what you are after. Remember the car isn't yours at the end of the term.

Good luck
Thanks for the info. I'll PM you my details.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 02:28 AM   #6
KJMotorsport
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

There's a thread over on pistonheads about good lease deals, mainly Golf R's, Leon Cupra's and Audi S3's. However, there are a few BMW ones that pop up now and again. Will dig out the link when i get a chance!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #7
MPD78
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport 2008

Here's the link to the pistonheads thread;

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...&t=1607379&i=0

It's 'volume 3' of the thread as it needs to start again after 500 pages so it's worth reading the last portion of 'volume 2'.

I've recently signed up to the Golf R estate deal as we've got a little one due at the end of the year and the E92 seems a bit impractical for car seats, prams etc!
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2016, 06:49 AM   #8
Craig242
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

+1 for the pistonheads thread.

I got my first lease car last week, a BMW M235i

My advice would be not to follow a certain car but to follow what deal is being pushed at the time if you don't mind being a bit open minded as to what you are driving.

I ordered mine back in March as they were offering it at a good price, when I check now the exact same deal is over £150 per month more.

Regarding mileage allowance, go for near what you think you will do, most leases tend to have an excess mileage fee of 7-15p per mile. Not exactly 'extravagant'.

Also with maintenance, this totally depends on how much it adds per month vs. the servicing costs over the term. For me it was just under £20 / month extra over the 2 years (so £480), but if you compare to the 1st service and a set of tyres which would likely cost more, it's worth including.

EDIT: Also be careful when saying 'buying a car on lease'. It's either:
PCP - where you have the option to buy the car at the end of the lease (with a balloon payment)
PCH - where you pay x per month for x months and at the end give the car back (no option of buying it)

Hope that helps.

Craig
Appreciate 2
      07-13-2016, 01:25 PM   #9
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Good deals come and go quick so when your ready get in early. Stock cars tend to be cheaper so don't be set on an exact spec as options tend to up the price a lot as you usually have to pay full RRP for them.
Check the prices for different mileage, sometimes 10k can be cheaper then 15k even if you do 15k as the excess mileage charge is lower. I'm on my second lease now, a lot of people are against it but it works for us, currently have a F11 520d M Sport.
Appreciate 3
      07-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #10
BMW-330i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig242 View Post
EDIT: Also be careful when saying 'buying a car on lease'. It's either:
I've just updated the title. I'm still in the mindset of buying rather than leasing, I'm getting used to the change

Some interesting deals at PistonHeads.
Appreciate 0