E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 06 325i no ac/heat blowing

01-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #1
avityvan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 bmw 325i

Angry 06 325i no ac/heat blowing

Replaced blower motor and resistor but still not blowing. Check function controller okay, measure power at resistor 14.75 volts but check at the blower motor is .07 volt.

Need diagnostic help, much appreciate.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by avityvan View Post
Replaced blower motor and resistor but still not blowing. Check function controller okay, measure power at resistor 14.75 volts but check at the blower motor is .07 volt.
Here's the circuit diagram for your Blower Motor & Final Stage Resistor (M30 & N2 in Schematic):
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...bution/hwh7J2T

Note the Red (12V+ Supply) and Brown (Ground) wires from the resistor to the motor. Have you used jumpers to those two wires (Final Stage DISCONNECTED) to test blower motor?

If blower motor spins per that test and you have 12V+ at Pin #2 of Connector X18722 (Red/Blue wire) AND Continuity to Ground at Pin #1 (Brown wire), then either there is an issue with the Final Stage Resistor, or bad signal from the White/Brown wire at Pin #4.

ANYONE know how to test signal from the IHKA (A11a)? Is that a square wave signal? Can an oscilloscope read that, or even perhaps a DMM on Volts AC? If it were MY car, I would try the latter, with Ignition on, changing MANUAL blower setting while reading AC Volts at Pin #4 in reference to ground.

Note that the signal line from IHKA runs through the JBE, In @ Pin #18, and Out at Pin #23, of Connector X14272. I have seen several reports of bad pins/sockets at that connector causing blower malfunction. Here is the Installation Location:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lim/1VnYoJSPhH

Is your car subject to the Blower Harness Recall? What issues caused you to replace Blower & Final Stage Resistor?

George
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
avityvan
United_States
Rep

2006 BMW 325i, I don't think my model is on the list for the recall hardness.
Car was park for a few months and I couldn't start, so replaced battery and find out that blower motor fan stop working.

Checked all connector looks good.
Bypass final stage resistor, blower motor spinning okay.
Checked input voltage at the final stage resistor is 14.75V and ground is good, data line read low voltage. What's the voltage at data line when the fan is full on? where is data line is coming from?

Checked output power of final stage resistor is .007V and ground is good.

I thought I have a bad final stage resistor so I bought the second final stage resistor but still not coming on. I can hear the blower start to spin for a second then it shut down.

Could it be something else that cause my blower motor not to turn on.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
...I thought I have a bad final stage resistor so I bought the second final stage resistor but still not coming on. I can hear the blower start to spin for a second then it shut down. Could it be something else that cause my blower motor not to turn on.
If you refer back to my previous post, I linked the circuit diagram that shows the CONTROL wire (White/Brown, labeled "PWM_LUE") from the IHKA to the Blower Final Resistor "going through" the JBE. "PWM" stands for Pulse-Width Modulation or square-wave signal that is used for control signal. My SWAG would be that you have damaged, loose or corroded connectors at one of the pins of Connector X14272, Either Pin #18 where the signal comes FROM the IHKA, or Pin #23, where the signal goes OUT to the Final Stage resistor.

That SWAG is rendered MORE likely by your statement that the motor "starts to spin for a second" but then shuts down. Interrupted or intermittent PWM signal is a likely cause of that behavior.

As I mentioned in the prior post, I do NOT know the proper or possible ways to test that signal, whether by Oscilloscope, by AC Voltage, or what, and requested suggestion by someone more knowledgeable in electronics. If it were my vehicle, and since I do NOT have an oscilloscope, I would try using AC voltage on my DMM (Digital Multimeter) to test signal at each of those two pins, in addition to visual examination of those pins.

That JBE Connector is PARTICULARLY likely to be the fault area IF your vehicle has had water leak at the right footwell area, either from windshield or cowl/ microfilter housing leak.

If you can do an INPA or BMW-specific scan for BMW Fault Codes saved in the JBFF (JBE) and IHKA modules, you may well find something saved there which assists in diagnosing the fault. IF you don't have access to such Scan Tool or Software, and don't want to pay a shop for such a scan, I would test as described above.

If you still have questions about the foregoing, please let me know.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
smass
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 325i - 10 335i

Garage List
2010 E90 335i  [0.00]
2016 F15 35i  [0.00]
2003 E53 3.0  [0.00]
2006 E90 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
2006 BMW 325i, I don't think my model is on the list for the recall hardness.
Car was park for a few months and I couldn't start, so replaced battery and find out that blower motor fan stop working.

Checked all connector looks good.
Bypass final stage resistor, blower motor spinning okay.
Checked input voltage at the final stage resistor is 14.75V and ground is good, data line read low voltage. What's the voltage at data line when the fan is full on? where is data line is coming from?

Checked output power of final stage resistor is .007V and ground is good.

I thought I have a bad final stage resistor so I bought the second final stage resistor but still not coming on. I can hear the blower start to spin for a second then it shut down.

Could it be something else that cause my blower motor not to turn on.
My 06 is on the recall list. https://www.bmwusa.com/safety-and-emission-recalls.html
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

OP do you have an E90 or E46?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
avityvan
United_States
Rep

E90
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:33 AM   #8
avityvan
United_States
Rep

Update on blower motor not blowing:

I took my car to the dealer for the blower motor wiring recall work but still blower motor fan not blowing. BMW dealer said is my climate control module is bad, the cost for the repair is $1600+labor.

Anyone know where is the climate control module location?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Google IHKA

One example link: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1315527
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 12:55 AM   #10
relative4
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90 MT stage 1+

Quote:
Update on blower motor not blowing:

I took my car to the dealer for the blower motor wiring recall work but still blower motor fan not blowing. BMW dealer said is my climate control module is bad, the cost for the repair is $1600+labor.

Quote:
BMW dealer said is my climate control module is bad, the cost for the repair is $1600+labor.

Yeah, it's on your dashboard. $30 used on eBay, 2 minutes to swap, no tools required. Maybe a butter knife.
However, since a dealer says it's bad, it's probably fine. Dealers can't diagnose, only overcharge.
Pull the codes.
Appreciate 0