E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > *HELP* Car won't start, brakes and steering wheel locked

02-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
jcsalter9
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

*HELP* Car won't start, brakes and steering wheel locked

I just got my new 2011 328i xDrive a few days ago and today I wanted to do my first mod. I did the charcoal filter delete and I thought it went pretty well, I started it and moved it into my driveway. I turn the car off and start to pull off the trim to replace my start button and I notice the key is stuck in the ignition. Also the steering wheel and brakes are very stiff. I don't know what caused this but any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Appreciate 1
      02-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #2
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalter9 View Post
I just got my new 2011 328i xDrive a few days ago and today I wanted to do my first mod. I did the charcoal filter delete and I thought it went pretty well, I started it and moved it into my driveway. I turn the car off and start to pull off the trim to replace my start button and I notice the key is stuck in the ignition. Also the steering wheel and brakes are very stiff. I don't know what caused this but any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
sounds like your steering wheel column got locked. Any warning lights on dashboard? Usually when column is locked there is a steering wheel warning light on.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
jcsalter9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Quote:
sounds like your steering wheel column got locked. Any warning lights on dashboard? Usually when column is locked there is a steering wheel warning light on.
No, no lights on the dash... I know I have power though because the radio works, charging my battery now
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:27 PM   #4
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
No, no lights on the dash... I know I have power though because the radio works, charging my battery now
I just realized you just purchased this car correct? yeah your battery is the first thing to troubleshoot next. Rememeber not beucase your lights are ON means your battery is good. Try to fully charge battery and run a load test.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
jcsalter9
United_States
Rep

I just realized you just purchased this car correct? yeah your battery is the first thing to troubleshoot next. Rememeber not beucase your lights are ON means your battery is good. Try to fully charge battery and run a load test.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just got the car... this may be a stupid question but how would I test it? How many amps do these batteries throw normally?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
I just realized you just purchased this car correct? yeah your battery is the first thing to troubleshoot next. Rememeber not beucase your lights are ON means your battery is good. Try to fully charge battery and run a load test.
Yeah, I just got the car... this may be a stupid question but how would I test it? How many amps do these batteries throw normally?[/QUOTE]

you can take it to your nearest Auto parts store and have them tested. They can do a load test for you for free.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #7
jcsalter9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I just got the car... this may be a stupid question but how would I test it? How many amps do these batteries throw normally?
you can take it to your nearest Auto parts store and have them tested. They can do a load test for you for free.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much! Do you think a Bluetooth audio adapter in the USB port could've caused this?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Quote:
you can take it to your nearest Auto parts store and have them tested. They can do a load test for you for free.
Thank you so much! Do you think a Bluetooth audio adapter in the USB port could've caused this?[/QUOTE]

You are welcome. NO, most likely you are due for a new battery.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #9
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
I turn the car off and start to pull off the trim to replace my start button and I notice the key is stuck in the ignition. Also the steering wheel and brakes are very stiff. I don't know what caused this but any help would be greatly appreciated thank you
Your battery is dead, or there is a missing connection. Check the battery in the trunk and make sure everything is making contact on the terminals. Besides that, voltage test the battery. It could just be that your battery is completely dead and time for a new one, or that you just need to tighten a screw. Only other thing I can think of if the connections are solid and battery is fine would be that your alternator needs replacement.

The reason your steering wheel and brakes are very stiff is because there is no power steering or brakes because the engine is off - that is normal.

Had this same issue when my battery died and my key got stuck in ignition slot, turned out it was time for a new one.
      02-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #10
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
I just got my new 2011 328i xDrive a few days ago...I started it and moved it into my driveway. I turn the car off and start to pull off the trim to replace my start button and I notice the key is stuck in the ignition. Also the steering wheel and brakes are very stiff.
Since you just got the car, do you have the Owner's Manual and have you ?

You cannot remove the Remote Key from the Receiver Slot until the gear selector lever is in P and that shows on the instrument cluster. Also, with engine off, it would be expected that the steering wheel is hard to turn (NOT locked, just hard to turn) since you have NO power assist. Brake pedal also "goes hard" without engine running (at least after one or two presses of the pedal) since brake booster vacuum is supplied by engine. ALSO, Starter will NOT crank the engine without gear selector in P or N (assuming you have AT).

AFAIK, models sold in the US from 2007 on had NO steering lock.

Maybe should learn how the vehicle is supposed to work as from factory, BEFORE mods?

George
Appreciate 1
Pladi718.00
      02-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #11
jcsalter9
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Quote:
I just got my new 2011 328i xDrive a few days ago...I started it and moved it into my driveway. I turn the car off and start to pull off the trim to replace my start button and I notice the key is stuck in the ignition. Also the steering wheel and brakes are very stiff.
Since you just got the car, do you have the Owner's Manual and have you ?

You cannot remove the Remote Key from the Receiver Slot until the gear selector lever is in P and that shows on the instrument cluster. Also, with engine off, it would be expected that the steering wheel is hard to turn (NOT locked, just hard to turn) since you have NO power assist. Brake pedal also "goes hard" without engine running (at least after one or two presses of the pedal) since brake booster vacuum is supplied by engine. ALSO, Starter will NOT crank the engine without gear selector in P or N (assuming you have AT).

AFAIK, models sold in the US from 2007 on had NO steering lock.

Maybe should learn how the vehicle is supposed to work as from factory, BEFORE mods?

George
It is in park
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

battery weak

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832