E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Vanos Solenoid and 2D61 issue...

08-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Walker16
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i

Garage List
Vanos Solenoid and 2D61 issue...

Ive been getting code 2D61 (VANOS, exhaust: Control fault, position not reached)
Ive cleaned, tested and swapped both solenoids and fault is still on exhaust. Even tried replacing the exhaust solenoid with a aftermarket one but no luck. Since the fault didn’t follow the solenoid I kinda ruled that out as a issue.

Tested both cam positioning sensors and the both function correctly.

I can run a function test in ISTA/D and when the engine is cold it will pass the test for that fault and when the engine is up to temp it only passes about 1 out if 5 times and usually fails to reach the correct timing in time. I have updated the DME using ISTA/p version 3.67.

I have changed the oils multiple times and currently running Royal Purple 5w-30. Oil filter cap is in good condition and I just replaced the filter housing gasket.

I guessing it could be whatever mechanically adjusts the timing could be the issue but it doesn't make sense why it would only have a issue when the engine is up to temp (oil @220) This is also my first real dive into this engine so there's a lot that doesn't make sense....

I feel like I’ve done all the easy fixes and looking for any advice on what could be next. Also vanos bolts were fixed under the recall a while back and I had work done on the vanos gears less than 10k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Endo144
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Have you had any luck figuring this out? I have an '11 135i with the exact same symptoms. The car is fine when cold, but throws limp mode and 2D61 if I hit the highway for more than 15 minutes (and then clears itself during my routine short commute). I also replaced the exhaust solenoid to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
Roymata09
Rep
Drives: BMW e93

For parts like these it’s important to stay oem as aftermarket is no where near reliable, you’ll be better off just trying to clean your old ones than buying aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
DLucian
Private
Rep
Drives: E91 335i N55 | F20 125I B48

I know it's a bit of a hassle but maybe you can check the timing. Maybe something happened, part of a plastic guide broke off and maybe the engine is out of time.

What does ISTA suggest under this specific code? I usually go their recommended route and end up fixing it.

EDIT: Also, is the car showing any symptoms apart from the code? Does it drive well? Idle well? MPG good? Do you have any tune on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 03:49 PM   #5
Endo144
Registered
Rep

FWIW it ended up being the VANOS bolts on my car. Seems less likely for you Walker given you know you had the repair, but hope you managed to figure it out!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 03:16 PM   #6
FlyingBuckeye3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endo144 View Post
FWIW it ended up being the VANOS bolts on my car. Seems less likely for you Walker given you know you had the repair, but hope you managed to figure it out!
My car is currently in the shop for the same issue. The solenoids checked out, they’ll confirm tomorrow if it’s the bolts. They’re almost certain the bolts have backed out and my car had the recall performed in 2014. Does anyone know if they did something different for the recall, or if they reinstalled the same bolts to the same torque specs?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 01:43 AM   #7
Endo144
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBuckeye3 View Post
My car is currently in the shop for the same issue. The solenoids checked out, they’ll confirm tomorrow if it’s the bolts. They’re almost certain the bolts have backed out and my car had the recall performed in 2014. Does anyone know if they did something different for the recall, or if they reinstalled the same bolts to the same torque specs?
Assuming the repair was the same as the N52, it sounds like they changed the bolt: https://www.1addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1422717
Appreciate 0