E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > May 29-31 Buttonwillow & Cal Speedway (BMW CCA)

04-30-2009, 05:24 PM   #45
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chili cheese View Post
Ah yes, I found it in the boot. Thanks! I also found that one of my tools is missing, seems someone at the dealership was interested in my tool box.
It's not missing. Certain tools that are present in other markets are not present here.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #46
chili cheese
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 Corvette Z06

Man, nothing gets past some of you guys. This board is serious. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 09:37 PM   #47
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Tech Inspection and Tire Wear

Another question regarding the Tech Inspection and Tire Wear:

I have nearly 30k miles on my tires and most likely will need to replace them by the end of the year, barring anything out of the ordinary (like a track day).

It's my understanding that BMWCCA requires that someone certified must complete the Tech and that they offer it for free weeks before the event. If my right front tire is essentially bald on the outer inch of the tire only, but the remainder has some tread (not sure exactly how much) just like the other tires, will I (or should I) pass? Without a remaining tread depth, perhaps this is a silly question.

This will be my first event. I certainly don't want to endanger myself or others, but I would prefer not to buy new tires (replacement stock runflats) before I head to the track. I guess the idea would be to wear the old ones out at the track, then replace them. Am I off base here? I suppose I could just try to pass Tech and see what happens?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #48
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

keep asking questions. It's good for you and for the community.

First off, I discourage running a patched runflat at the Roval. I forget the specifics of this blowout, but it was a day that ran a configuration 20mph faster than what we'll see end of May.

The Roval will work your right side tires harder than the lefts. Rotate them before imo. Or, have the shop that will perform the tech inspection rotate them. You want more tread on the right side tires.

BMWCCA requires that a certified shop checks your car's safety before you take it to the track. They recommend you get the inspection done a week or two before the event so that you have time to fix anything that needs attention. I typically tech the day before because my car is equally new as yours. But, I don't always make good decisions.

I'm guessing the "problem" tire will be fine if it's on the left. And it will pass tech. You'll find that the Roval will be good to your tires. And, you should not need to buy tires before the event.

You're gonna have so much fun. And, learn so much.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #49
Dascamel
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3, 2010 e91 328i

I agree on not taking a patched tire on the track. With the extreme heat on the tires, don't want to test the quality of the patch that was applied at 100+ speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:03 PM   #50
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Thanks so much for your help!

That blowout seem like it might have been a little scary. Wow.

I might try to see if the dealership will rotate the tires for me to put the most tread on the right side of the vehicle. Obvioulsy the stock front and rear tires are different sizes, but how can I tell if the tread pattern is unidirectional? May I end up with an issue if I swap right to left wheels for rotation?

I'll be heading to Sube Sports in Huntington on Saturday to get a helmet. I haven't been able to locate another similar store in OC. Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #51
satakal
Major
Rep

the bridgestone rfts and the michelin PS2s don't care what direction they spin. (they're not unidirectional) So, no worries there.

Regarding where to buy accessories from... Buy local. And, buy from the guys that support your community. Especially guys like Harold of HP Autowerks. Its so valuable having a friend that knows everything at track days with you.

It was a sad day for me when my local shop that did my tech inspections closed its doors. Now, I don't have a place to go sit in racing seats and try on racing shoes and helmets. Maybe they would have stayed in business if less people looked to the internet for that last 3% savings.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:07 PM   #52
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Got it and agree with the local shop sentiment. I've never been to Sube, so we'll see what they have.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #53
325racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 92 325is

Sube has EVERYTHING. They are actually the West Coast Distributor for many products.
      05-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #54
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Sounds like I may need to leave the credit card at home!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #55
FourPtDrift
This is my unique custom title
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5C, '20 F83 M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
Took the plunge and signed up for all 3 days. Who else is in?
I'll be there Saturday and Sunday.

-Daniel

2021 F90 Comp LCI Frozen Marina Bay Blue/Aragon Brown Full Merino
2020 F83 Comp LCI Porsche Chalk/Black Full Merino
2018 F82 Comp LCI Mineral White/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
2017 F83 Comp Black Saphhire/Sakhir Orange (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #56
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Another question regarding the Tech Inspection and Tire Wear:

I have nearly 30k miles on my tires and most likely will need to replace them by the end of the year, barring anything out of the ordinary (like a track day).

It's my understanding that BMWCCA requires that someone certified must complete the Tech and that they offer it for free weeks before the event. If my right front tire is essentially bald on the outer inch of the tire only, but the remainder has some tread (not sure exactly how much) just like the other tires, will I (or should I) pass? Without a remaining tread depth, perhaps this is a silly question.

This will be my first event. I certainly don't want to endanger myself or others, but I would prefer not to buy new tires (replacement stock runflats) before I head to the track. I guess the idea would be to wear the old ones out at the track, then replace them. Am I off base here? I suppose I could just try to pass Tech and see what happens?
Are the RFTs Bridgestone RE050A? If so, you can pay to have the right and left tires swapped on their rims and you would end up having the worn part of the tire on the inside and the fresh part of the tire OUTSIDE. You will only fail tech if the outside (which does most work) tread is below the wear bar, and if the inside is already past the wear bar.

If you can snap a picture and post it I can tell you whether or not you'll pass tech.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #57
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Are the RFTs Bridgestone RE050A? If so, you can pay to have the right and left tires swapped on their rims and you would end up having the worn part of the tire on the inside and the fresh part of the tire OUTSIDE. You will only fail tech if the outside (which does most work) tread is below the wear bar, and if the inside is already past the wear bar.

If you can snap a picture and post it I can tell you whether or not you'll pass tech.
Yes they are Bridgestone RE050A. See pics of right-front below:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #58
325racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 92 325is

THose tires should be OK, but you may need an Alignment, cause they shouldn't wear like that in normal usage.
      05-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #59
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325racer View Post
THose tires should be OK, but you may need an Alignment, cause they shouldn't wear like that in normal usage.
Agreed, definitely out of alignment. At this stage though, there is no guarantee that an alignment will "solve" the problem and not just come out of alignment eventually. I guess I'm trying to hold out on spending money for an alignment on tires that will be done in the next couple months, especially considering this track event.

I'm reading up on track tires/wheels using the search herein to educate myself. This stuff is really interesting.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #60
The HACK
Rep

If you can get a tire shop to re-mount those fronts INSIDE OUT, you'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #61
chili cheese
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
If you can get a tire shop to re-mount those fronts INSIDE OUT, you'll be fine.
OK, I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #62
chili cheese
Major
Rep

I'm signed up for Sunday Driving School
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #63
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I'm signed up for Sunday Driving School
Have you done an autocross or car control clinic? If not I highly recommend signing up for the Saturday car control clinic and the Sunday driving school. It makes a HUGE difference.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #64
chili cheese
Major
Rep

No, this will be my first driving event of any kind. Please explain.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #65
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
No, this will be my first driving event of any kind. Please explain.
There's a car control clinic that teaches you recovery skills in case something goes wrong. Gives you some basic pointers in how much your brakes are capable of and how it behaves in ABS mode, also teaches you the basics in looking ahead and how far ahead you need to look, plus some wet skid-pad fun. Cost a little more when you do both together, but if you have your Saturday free it really gives you a chance to "prepare" for the Sunday event since you get one session on Saturday to whet your appetite on the big track. If you're doing it for the first time, I highly recommend signing up for both the Car Control Clinic on Saturday and then the driving school on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #66
satakal
Major
Rep

I agree with TheHACK. Do the car control class if you have the time.

I know of another club (Audi Club of North America) that requires 1/2 day of car control before they let you on the big track. They wouldn't relax that rule for me even after I had about 15 big track days under my belt. I think its a good policy but there should always be an exception for me and only me.
Appreciate 0