E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > CA Speedway Report

10-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #89
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
I agree. Good point I forgot to mention here. I didn't drive the car on the track with the staggered stock set up to comment, but with the 18x8.5's all around with 245 40 18 Nitto NT-01's and all the other mods, the car is quite neutral.

I have played around with tire pressures and it appears that 28 to 29 lbs cold at all four corners provides me with about 40+ hot temps. This car is heavy and sees a minimum of a 10 lb increase when hot. I started with 32 cold but exceeded 40 up to 43 on some corners so I kept bleeding down until I reached 40 to 41 hot at all four corners. Later that day after the event, the cold pressures were 28-29. 40 is the recommended target hot pressure for the Nitto/Toyo R compound.

We are using the Kumho V710s, 245-35-18 on 18x9 wheels. Cold temps are around 29-30 at all 4 corners.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 10-15-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: 35, not 45 series tires
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 12:30 PM   #90
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
No offense, but I am confused by your post. I can't remember your mods and they are not listen within this thread. I did a quick search but only came up with your sway bar installation problem and thoughts about selecting the KW V2 or V3. I think you may also have the Vishnu chip. What exactly are your mods and could you please post them here?

You say that your "solution" is considerably better. As compared to what? The factory set up or other coilover systems? What are you capable of proving? What are you actually comparing your current set up to? What are you baseline numbers to start with? Could you elaborate on tolerant and response? Much faster, because of the suspension mods or the chip? Neutral, I would agree but how does this compare to your other track day experience with the stock suspension in terms of under/oversteer and under what track specific conditions? I think my car is very neutral and don't have sways installed. What exactly is more complicated to set up. Adjusting rebound and compression can be done by feel alone and KW provides an initial suggested setting.

If you have the KW's, I am interested in knowing why they are not as tolerant since most say they are more comfortable than stock. Don't know what aspect of tolerance you are speaking. Response is good and bad in what way. Are you saying that these coilovers don't drive as smoothly as the stock sport suspension?

Please don't take this posting the wrong way. I am not out to hassle you about anything, but to question your reasoning behind your post so we may all learn from your experience with your setup. It is just that your post is rather vague and ambiguous. Your anticipated comments are greatly appreciated.
Thread jack, Steve, yeah..I spoke to patrick about that Mazda, apparently he has..or is leaning towards buying a seat in that car for World Challenge Touring car...he was at Sears with us getting seat time in it..not the best place to get seat time in a race car though. He should have gone to a test day somewhere instead.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 04:10 PM   #91
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Given my 500lb front springs and
What are your rear spring rates if you don't mind me asking?

Harold
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #92
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
What are your rear spring rates if you don't mind me asking?

Harold
Running the same at 500lbs. Doesn't make traditional sense but it works without increased understeer. Some cars benefit from softer rear springs over harder ones. 375 to 400 rear are too soft for the track. And 400 front are too soft for the track as well. I have a box of various 60mm springs and may play around with the front a few times more. I don't think the car needs anything stiffer front or rear even on the track.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #93
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Running the same at 500lbs. Doesn't make traditional sense but it works without increased understeer. Some cars benefit from softer rear springs over harder ones. 375 to 400 rear are too soft for the track. And 400 front are too soft for the track as well. I have a box of various 60mm springs and may play around with the front a few times more. I don't think the car needs anything stiffer front or rear even on the track.

Well, I think the rears at 500 is just about right.

400 up front does fee a bit on the soft side, but stepping up to 500 up front may degrade the ride a bit for street duty.

Have you try increase the front spring rates only? Did that increase or decrease understeer? In theory, it should increase understeer.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 12:55 AM   #94
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Well, I think the rears at 500 is just about right.

400 up front does fee a bit on the soft side, but stepping up to 500 up front may degrade the ride a bit for street duty.

Have you try increase the front spring rates only? Did that increase or decrease understeer? In theory, it should increase understeer.
I went directly from 400/375 to 500/500. Understeer stayed about the same but the body roll decreased significantly. Having driven with both, my next "test" set up would be to change the front springs only to 456lbs and 7" length.

Want to get some oil. Going to try the RedLine 5w30. Sending you a pm.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 01:23 AM   #95
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by White05X3 View Post
Ask and you shall receive...

Sorry for the low resolution...I was afraid youtube would reject it if the file was too much larger.
A little off the topic of this thread....Do you have a suggestion for a good in-car camcorder?

Harold
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2007, 07:36 AM   #96
2e9x's
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ED 7/07

Harold,

The entire thread has gone way off topic, but it is all really good stuff!

I use the headrest mount from http://www.cruisecam.com

My actual camcorder is just a low level Sony Mini-DV. Any camera will do, but I would not take something expensive to the track. The environment is brutal on cameras!