E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How bad is using your pod and using your BT phone w/ no Nav screen?

12-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #23
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Another point to consider is that maintaining Nav and maps up to date cost often a little fortune, much more than having an independent GPS device.
Two points - Generally you don't need to update nav maps all that often, though perhaps if you depend on the points-of-interest a lot you might. I never felt the need to update on my previous vehicle; sure, some roads changed in the four years I owned it but by and large the rest of the roads stayed in the same place.

Second - it's very expensive to update via the dealer, so valid point. Fortunately we have the Internet and it's *MUCH* cheaper if you can update via Sergej (aka *******).
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #24
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

I didn't want the idrive/nav. Found a car without and and had to sacrifice m-sport.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #25
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
Second - it's very expensive to update via the dealer, so valid point. Fortunately we have the Internet and it's *MUCH* cheaper if you can update via "the Russian fixer".
Is that legal? I'm sure I still come ahead pricewise if I steal GPS devices on the shelf :}
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #26
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is that legal? I'm sure I still come ahead pricewise if I steal GPS devices on the shelf :}
Heh, I hadn't heard that term before for Sergej, that's funny. (if you don't mind though, please indicate when you've changed someone's words in a quote)

I've seen nothing indicating that the FSC codes are bogus or cracked; I'd figured he had access to a dealer system to get FSC codes generated for far less than the cost in the NA market. Regional pricing arbitrage if you wish. Maybe not something BMWNA would like, but I've had no sense of any illegality/copyright infringement.

I'd certainly be interested in your evidence to the contrary.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #27
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpb View Post
I'd certainly be interested in your evidence to the contrary.
I don't that's why am asking. I am all for being trustful.

Sorry for changing your quote, I intended this as a joke :}
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #28
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybui82 View Post
thats a tough decision you got there. M sport no nav or nav no m sport....if it came down to it....Id say nav no m sport cause you can do all that stuff later.
ding ding, winner

i had nav/bluetooht in my 335i and it was a LOT easier and better for me compared to my 328i now with only bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 05:28 PM   #29
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Paying for NAV in a car makes no sense to me. A $100 TomTom is better than ANY built-in NAV system I have ever used, and as a 30+ week a year car renter for work I have used ALL of them. And when the maps get stale you can just get a new $100 TomTom and get the latest hardware too. And you can use it in a different car, rental car, lend it to your Mom, whatever.

And I certainly have less than zero interest in having album are displayed on a gigantic screen in my car.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:18 PM   #30
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sorry for changing your quote, I intended this as a joke :}
It's cool. As far as I know it's just regional arbitrage, if I were to learn it isn't kosher I'd not go that route in the future. The FSC code is pretty long and is based on VIN and map update, so there's something generating it.

Krhodes1: I respect your opinion. I've had portable Nav and I've had built in. Portable has some advantages. Yet the portability is also a disadvantage: it begs for someone to smash your window and steal it even if it's in the locked glove box with the window mount on the floor supposedly difficult to see due to it being evening. Guess how I know.

So yes, built in Nav is more expensive and typically less capable than many portables, the convenience factor of not worrying about always putting it away is worth a fair bit to me. Especially so with a Vert.

Is it worth it everyone? Of course not. If I still lived in a small town and already knew all the roads in the county I doubt I'd use Nav much but on trips, same if the car was a weekend fun car instead of a DD.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #31
E90Mario
Brigadier General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: ESS E90 M3

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...8&d=1346815983
      12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #32
bman5150
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Why not hold out and get what you really want?
I guess I'm just not sure I'd be able to find a 2011 msport with nav, prem package, step, BT, iPod USB in Ohio. I may hold out. I drove my friends 2011 335xi today for 120 miles. It's doesn't have nav, iPod USB, prem package or BT but it does have the sports package. I just love the car. Seat was a little tight but I'd get used to that. Loved the fact we averaged 28 mpg too in what is a very fast and sporty car! Anyway, after experiencing a 335 without nav, I'd say I would occasionally miss it but so long as the car had BT, USB and satellite radio I'd be good to go. We'll see what happens with this car I have my eye on. Ie essentially waited for years to get a 335i so a few more mos wont hurt if I need to be patience. Did I say how awesome the 335xi was to drive today??!!? Me want...
      12-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Why not hold out and get what you really want?
I guess I'm just not sure I'd be able to find a 2011 msport with nav, prem package, step, BT, iPod USB in Ohio. I may hold out. I drove my friends 2011 335xi today for 120 miles. It's doesn't have nav, iPod USB, prem package or BT but it does have the sports package. I just love the car. Seat was a little tight but I'd get used to that. Loved the fact we averaged 28 mpg too in what is a very fast and sporty car! Anyway, after experiencing a 335 without nav, I'd say I would occasionally miss it but so long as the car had BT, USB and satellite radio I'd be good to go. We'll see what happens with this car I have my eye on. Ie essentially waited for years to get a 335i so a few more mos wont hurt if I need to be patience. Did I say how awesome the 335xi was to drive today??!!? Me want...
Best of luck to you brother. Sometimes you find waiting a bit longer might render the results you want.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #34
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
Check www.truecar.com , set the distance to zip as 'no limits'. You'll find tons of cars for sale. This is an integrator to most of the ads online.
Buying a luxury (above 30k)2011 car with no nav is insane. Half of the fun is enjoying the electronics. Nav is just one of them. You get dvd, SAT and other nice things in the package.
I had it in a list of very difficult options as I was in search for a diesel 3 series. Got it and love it. 30mpg and unbelievably explosive torque....

Just checked and right now there are 175 2011 BMW 3 series for sale in a 200mile radius from you. Just pick one.
Also if you find the right car, shipping it to you from anywhere in US will be max $1k. Consider this option and have fun!
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)

Last edited by Jffeijao; 12-11-2012 at 07:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #35
fresh_LA
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 SG 6MT

hold out until you find an M-sport with Navi...

no point settling for something less than what you want when your spending that much.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #36
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
Try using it without any info on the screen. You have to manually control your ipod or phone if you want to change a song.
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #37
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Paying for NAV in a car makes no sense to me. A $100 TomTom is better than ANY built-in NAV system I have ever used, and as a 30+ week a year car renter for work I have used ALL of them. And when the maps get stale you can just get a new $100 TomTom and get the latest hardware too. And you can use it in a different car, rental car, lend it to your Mom, whatever.

And I certainly have less than zero interest in having album are displayed on a gigantic screen in my car.
It's all about the integration with the car, both visually and functionally, which lends to greater convenience.

How long does it take your handheld nav to lock in on GPS when starting up? Built in nav is ready to go as soon as you start the car.

How well does your handheld nav work in super urban environments, tunnels, or parking garages? Built in navs can still track you with vehicle speed and compass info.

Always have to remember to unplug and hide your hand held nav, mount, and charger for fear of theft? Not so with built in nav.

And it's more than just navigation. The iDrive provides much more functionality and integration with all systems in the car. Entertainment, phone, onboard computer (text read out of check-control messages instead of a mystery icon), GUI for vehicle personalization settings, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #38
Bimmer07
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: G80

i have no nav but honestly dont even know how to use those radio buttons. I just use the Yes button when theres an incoming call , end to end the call and the rest on the phone
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #39
Ecko51
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black 335i

Try using www.cargurus.com for your vehicle search. It even keeps up with market value pricing trends. It also requires no personal information to get prices unlike TruCar.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #40
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer07 View Post
i have no nav but honestly dont even know how to use those radio buttons. I just use the Yes button when theres an incoming call , end to end the call and the rest on the phone
I really think the Nav hump looks like an afterthought.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #41
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
Don't forget you cant see the screen of the radio w/o nav if your wearing polarized sun glasses. that was the big deal breaker for me
This is a great point. I noticed that when I had a non-iDrive loaner 328 a few weeks back, the radio stuff was really dim and difficult to read when wearing my (prescription) polarized sunglasses. No issues with the iDrive screens, not even the magenta/green banding you'll get with the nav screen on some other cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #42
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
Don't forget you cant see the screen of the radio w/o nav if your wearing polarized sun glasses. that was the big deal breaker for me
I can, I just have to tilt my head a little.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #43
Jffeijao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecko51 View Post
Try using www.cargurus.com for your vehicle search. It even keeps up with market value pricing trends. It also requires no personal information to get prices unlike TruCar.
Truecar.com requires no personal information. You find the car and get access to its information without identifying yourself. You can then google the VIN to identify the vendor. But most of the times you find it by reading the free carfax details.
2012 Grand Cherokee (sold!)
2003 MB SLK stick (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #44
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
It's all about the integration with the car, both visually and functionally, which lends to greater convenience.
I do like integration, but preferred the hump over the screen that sticks up in the newer models. That being said, I prefer a nav system I can move from car to car.

Quote:
How long does it take your handheld nav to lock in on GPS when starting up? Built in nav is ready to go as soon as you start the car.
I have a Garmin Nuvi, and it locks immediately upon starting up.

Quote:
How well does your handheld nav work in super urban environments, tunnels, or parking garages? Built in navs can still track you with vehicle speed and compass info.
My handheld can still track with speed and compass info.

Quote:
Always have to remember to unplug and hide your hand held nav, mount, and charger for fear of theft? Not so with built in nav.
This is true, but not such a big deal for me. I also like being able to move from car to car with my familiar handheld. Not all rentals have Nav, and I travel a lot around the globe for my work.

Quote:
And it's more than just navigation. The iDrive provides much more functionality and integration with all systems in the car. Entertainment, phone, onboard computer (text read out of check-control messages instead of a mystery icon), GUI for vehicle personalization settings, etc.
Having iDrive's additional functionality is what I miss most.

All that said, I have done side-by-side comparisons of my handheld with BMW loaner cars which had nav systems. My handheld maps out traffic and reroutes me much better than the integrated nav. I also don't have to pay extra for speed limit info.