E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How to clean these rims!?!? (pics)

08-13-2018, 09:23 AM   #1
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

How to clean these rims!?!? (pics)

I managed to grab these for $50 for all 4 and am going to use them for the winter but the guy admitted that he had never cleaned them once in his life. So I am going to sell my 18" winters and grab some new rubber for these but I tried cleaning them with everything I had and nothing removes this stuff. I tried brake cleaner and negative results...

Anything you guys would recommend...I know they are just winter tires but that makes me upset a bit

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 09:39 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
That looks to be etched into the clear coat, and if so, nothing is going to take it out unless you refinish the wheels.

As a final attempt, you can try iron-x to remove any hard metal deposits from brake dust and road grime, and also try Sonax full effect to properly clean the wheels. See links below, but can also get on Amazon:

https://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html

https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-wheel-cleaner.html
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13154.00
      08-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #3
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I have had good lick with a clay bar and when it was really bad, green scrub pad and WD40.
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Since you picked them up cheap, I would wet sand and powder coat.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Since you picked them up cheap, I would wet sand and powder coat.
theyre winter wheels, powder will flake after it get's damaged and the corrosion gets under there.

I'd sand and then wet coat. Then they can be touched up later.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I have to disagree here. The only reason for paint over powder coating is that paint is less expensive. If the powder coating is done correctly, there will not be any damage. If you paint, then you will be always touching them up them later. I work in engineering in a highly acidic environment. Stainless steel below a 304 grade lasts about 3 weeks here before it rusts and crumbles. 90% of our equipment is powder coated, not painted, to ensure longevity. Powder coating is incredibly durable. Not saying it's indestructible but it's way more integral than paint. Powder coating applied properly should never chip unless the part is put under way more stress than it should be; if that's the case the structural integrity of the part itself and how it is being used should be questioned.

Last edited by King Rudi; 08-13-2018 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Going... to... use... for... Winter...

Why are you concerned about what they look like?

Be concerned they are:

Straight
Round
Hold air
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerx View Post
I managed to grab these for $50 for all 4 and am going to use them for the winter but the guy admitted that he had never cleaned them once in his life.
If you have wheels that are new-looking and want to keep them that way, just use the least abrasive, least chemically-aggressive, cleaning solution and method that will work, such as using Dove Detergent solution & sponge every 2 to 3 weeks.

In YOUR case, for wheels that have NEVER been properly cleaned in 10+ years (I take it those are #156 Double Spoke wheels?), try Easy-Off oven cleaner. It is chemically aggressive, and you need to take proper safety precautions in using it. You also need to scrub thoroughly AFTER use to remove the residue and halt any further chemical attack on the metal and finish. If the clear coat has been penetrated and you have metal corrosion (which appears to be the case from your photos), then might as well try it if less aggressive cleaning methods do NOT work.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #9
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I have to disagree here. The only reason for paint over powder coating is that paint is less expensive. If the powder coating is done correctly, there will not be any damage. If you paint, then you will be always touching them up them later. I work in engineering in a highly acidic environment. Stainless steel below a 304 grade lasts about 3 weeks here before it rusts and crumbles. 90% of our equipment is powder coated, not painted, to ensure longevity. Powder coating is incredibly durable. Not saying it's indestructible but it's way more integral than paint. Powder coating applied properly should never chip unless the part is put under way more stress than it should be; if that's the case the structural integrity of the part itself and how it is being used should be questioned.
the first time it hits a curb the powder will be compromised.

corrosion will then spread under it, and you won't notice it until a giant piece of it flakes off the wheel.
it's also going to cost actual money for sandblasting and someone to powder it.

or you can just spray some decent paint on it and it will likely last as long because the curb rash is going to be what jacks it up, not paint failure or exposure.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #10
Psyphertext
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 328i

try Simple Green to the backs first. I had "etched brake dust in the pores on my wheels and it, combined with scrubbing with a good plastic bristle brush, took nearly all of it out on the wheels currently mounted. In my replacement wheels it took it all off. I need to hit the mounted wheels again to see if I can get the rest of it out.

Corrosion will require the coating be stripped and the wheel be sanded, if not polished. Then recoat, paint, plastidip, or put a high polish on them with a clear coat.
      08-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
BryGuy11
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i coupe 6sp

Just say FUKIT and plastidip them, can easily be touched up, I think they have quite a few colors now & a gloss coat etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #12
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

i used engine degreaser and a brillo pad .. the brillo pad left some soft scratches .. if you use a scotch bright pad or even a rougher sponge + engine degreaser it will do the trick!

My car looked like new after i did it!
Appreciate 1
gxe2se37.50
      08-14-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
the first time it hits a curb the powder will be compromised.

corrosion will then spread under it, and you won't notice it until a giant piece of it flakes off the wheel.
it's also going to cost actual money for sandblasting and someone to powder it.

or you can just spray some decent paint on it and it will likely last as long because the curb rash is going to be what jacks it up, not paint failure or exposure.
Some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 05:23 PM   #14
KiX1911
Blah
Canada
Rep
Drives: Awesomeness

You guys are amazing! Thanks for all the responses!

OK So ill go less abrasive to hardcore. They are winter tires, so I'm not too bananas over them, but they make me upset when I see that.

So question on corrosion, If i were to sand a few of the curb rash spots and plasti dip them, would it corrode?

B
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #15
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

Holy crap.
Usually Meguiars wheel brightener D140 is what most people would use on painted wheels like that.

https://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-d1...iABEgJElPD_BwE.

Don't use anything scratchy unless you seriously hate them and need to vent.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #16
bushwa
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I used Autosol metal polish on a set of 330i original sport wheels i picked up to use as winters. Did a pretty good job of getting similar stains/spots off like those.
Appreciate 0