E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > PWR radiator

03-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #111
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Thanks for the update.

I can understand that a custom fabrication is cost intensive. But at the new price tag the cost-benefit ratio becomes prohibitive. After all I'm not building a pro racecar here, so a total cost of close to $2000 (shipping and installation incl) for just an improved radiator is over the top for me.

I'm sure the product will work great but I can't justifiy that expense
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #112
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Thanks for the update.

I can understand that a custom fabrication is cost intensive. But at the new price tag the cost-benefit ratio becomes prohibitive. After all I'm not building a pro racecar here, so a total cost of close to $2000 (shipping and installation incl) for just an improved radiator is over the top for me.

I'm sure the product will work great but I can't justifiy that expense
Hey mate,

that's ok as I understand that for many, the revised price may be too big to swallow.

After all the time and effort I have personally put into getting the AT rad' sorted, I would dearly love to sell a few units.

FYI,

I am told that the retail price for a "Custom Build" unit of this size, that features their core "Close Mesh Core" upgrade, as well as additional billet fittings would be approximately $1,350.

Truth be told our profit margin for a $1,350 component is quite small, I would love to be able to further reduce the GB price, but we really cannot afford to do so.

However I am happy to say that for all the AT owners that track their cars regularly and want to upgrade their radiator, there is finally a solution available.

PWR are very confident our AT rad' will massively outperform the OE unit with regards heat transfer capability and we at Adavn performance are very confident, it will be a true "direct fit" component, we guarantee that.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #113
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #114
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hi guys,

given that the AT rad' for the N54 loses approximately 12% of its frontal surface area for the purposes of transmission cooling, the Tech' at PWR recommended the use of their "Close Mesh Core Configuration", for vehicles that are not daily driven or for owners that live in a cooler climate.

The core upgrade adds an additional $165 to the cost of the rad', however I am told that pricing can be reduced as part of the GB, pending the total number of units ordered.

FYI,

the MT 5970 rad' can also be ordered with the core upgrade, for those guys wishing to maximise cooling efficiency at the race track.

Here are two cross-sectional pics illustrating the difference in core construction between the standard core and the "Close Mesh" option on the right.

Cheers,

Justin.
That's too bad. I was going to jump in on your group buy once things shook out with the AT rad, but my car is a DD and I live in a warm climate.
Still no solution (other than BMW PK) after 5 years
      03-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #115
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
That's too bad. I was going to jump in on your group buy once things shook out with the AT rad, but my car is a DD and I live in a warm climate.
Still no solution (other than BMW PK) after 5 years
Hey cvc,

I very much doubt the supplemental radiator' from the PPK used in conjunction with the OE AT rad', would have the heat transfer capabilities of our upgraded AT Advan/PWR radiator.

It's a shame there is not more interest in our upgraded AT unit, if 10 guys chipped in $50 each I could convince Pete to pony up the remainder of the cash, to throw a sample unit into our AT 335i shop car.

We are still having some warm days here in Sydney and the stop-go traffic is the worst.

It would be an ideal environment to test the low airflow speed cooling, of the "Close Mesh Core Configuration".

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-11-2012 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #116
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Why don't people just buy the BMW Power Kit radiator and hoses ? I think the price would be like $400 or so and you can install it yourself at a stretch.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #117
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey cvc,

I very much doubt the supplemental radiator' from the PPK used in conjunction with the OE AT rad', would have the heat transfer capabilities of our upgraded AT Advan/PWR radiator.

It's a shame there is not more interest in our upgraded AT unit, if 10 guys chipped in $50 each I could convince Pete to pony up the remainder of the cash, to throw a sample unit into our AT 335i shop car.

We are still having some warm days here in Sydney and the stop-go traffic is the worst.

It would be an ideal environment to test the low airflow speed cooling, of the "Close Mesh Core Configuration".
I'm not going to chip in for R&D. That's ridiculous. Build a product that fits and is proven to work (unlike AR) and then sell it.
      03-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #118
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Hey cvc,

so PWR is not even going to make a version for AT now even if you supplied all the info needed?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #119
Orb
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Hey cvc,

I am okay with the price which is very resonable for a 1st run cutom unit but the total lack of any details about the core design is a show stopper for me. The idea that the radiator may not work at lower speeds is not an option I am willing to consider.

I think you need to clear that you are no longer doing an AT prototype at this moment?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #120
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I'm not going to chip in for R&D. That's ridiculous. Build a product that fits and is proven to work (unlike AR) and then sell it.
Hey cvc,

well the problem is whilst Peter and I know the Advan/PWR rad will be "a good thing" on the race track, we also know that very few forum members will be prepared to pay $1,245 for a rad' upgrade, regardless of how well it reduces thermal stress on the motor under extreme track conditions.

As I said before I am fully aware that "the revised price may be too big to swallow".

If we had a list of 4 or 5 guys that would commit to purchasing the rad' providing it tested well and fitment was perfect, we would go ahead and spend the $1K + on a singular sample unit and fit it up to our shop car for evaluation.

Would you pay the asking price if we verified water temps are ok in stop-go traffic and we guaranteed fitment would be perfect?

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #121
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
Why don't people just buy the BMW Power Kit radiator and hoses ? I think the price would be like $400 or so and you can install it yourself at a stretch.
I got this installed two weeks ago. With normal driving, outside temps around 50, I see coolant temps go up to 220 degrees. So this leaves a "safety margin" of around 20 degrees at the racetrack until the DME starts cutting the power. I hope this will be enough of a margin but I don't know for sure as I couldn't keep track of coolant temps last year (thanks to BMW for not putting a water temp gauge in our cars...).
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #122
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
I got this installed two weeks ago. With normal driving, outside temps around 50, I see coolant temps go up to 220 degrees. So this leaves a "safety margin" of around 20 degrees at the racetrack until the DME starts cutting the power. I hope this will be enough of a margin but I don't know for sure as I couldn't keep track of coolant temps last year (thanks to BMW for not putting a water temp gauge in our cars...).
thats what i get without the ppk . You might get lower temps driving fast with faster recovery.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #123
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey cvc,

well the problem is whilst Peter and I know the Advan/PWR rad will be "a good thing" on the race track, we also know that very few forum members will be prepared to pay $1,245 for a rad' upgrade, regardless of how well it reduces thermal stress on the motor under extreme track conditions.

As I said before I am fully aware that "the revised price may be too big to swallow".

If we had a list of 4 or 5 guys that would commit to purchasing the rad' providing it tested well and fitment was perfect, we would go ahead and spend the $1K + on a singular sample unit and fit it up to our shop car for evaluation.

Would you pay the asking price if we verified water temps are ok in stop-go traffic and we guaranteed fitment would be perfect?

Cheers,

JD.
With which core?
      03-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #124
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So this would just increase coolant volume w/o the required electronic upgrade to control the HD fan?
      03-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #125
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any evidence the additional rad lowers coolant temps? 50d isn't warm.
      03-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #126
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Quote:
So this would just increase coolant volume w/o the required electronic upgrade to control the HD fan?
Yes. And if you also spend the money to install the proper bumper air ducts to the radiator, it can be quite efficient too. Of course, if you install the radiator without the bumper air ducts it will not be so efficient but nevertheless it's a very solid and problem-free solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #127
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep

Quote:
Any evidence the additional rad lowers coolant temps? 50d isn't warm.
Unfortunately I don't have hard numbers, as I didn't have a coolant temp gauge yet. Now I have the leatherZ gauge kit installed so I can monitor temps.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #128
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. And if you also spend the money to install the proper bumper air ducts to the radiator, it can be quite efficient too. Of course, if you install the radiator without the bumper air ducts it will not be so efficient but nevertheless it's a very solid and problem-free solution.
Hate to go OT in a PWR thread, but I will look into that. I thought you needed to install the whole PK which I don't want to do.
      03-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #129
eric-d
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i coupe

I am in for the radiator

location is OC california

please pm a shipped price and availability detail

cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #130
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

lets dont go OT here, its about PWR , not PPK
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #131
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
so PWR is not even going to make a version for AT now even if you supplied all the info needed?
Hey enrita,

at this point in time PWR have no intention, of making it a readily available "catalogue item".
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #132
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
I am okay with the price which is very resonable for a 1st run cutom unit but the total lack of any details about the core design is a show stopper for me. The idea that the radiator may not work at lower speeds is not an option I am willing to consider.
Hi Orb,

I do not think it's too much to ask, that you put a little faith in the engineering expertise & design knowledge of PWR.

Which is why given the volume limitations of the rad' and the requirement of a cross-flow core in lieu of the AT heat exchanger, they are insisting on using their "Close Mesh Core Configuration" to ensure their efficiency goals are meet.

Also do not be concerned about the radiator becoming "laminar" due to a lack of coolant turbulence, as they will be utilising a "dimple tube" in their design revision if they deem it necessary, following calculations of the coolant volume flow rate.

Below is a quote from one of their engineers, in response to your concerns regarding coolant volume flow rate and a possible lack of coolant turbulence.

"Our tubes are by no means ordinary or basic in design and we have features in the tubes that keep the coolant turbulent to ensure maximum cooling is achieved, as at the end of the day you are trying to give the coolant enough time in the radiator for sufficient heat transfer but also trying to make sure that the engine has a sufficient supply of coolant."

There is no doubt in my mind that "at speed" on the racetrack, the Advan/PWR AT rad' with the "Close Mesh Core" will perform very well indeed.

What they are unsure of is how well it will transfer heat at low air speeds, in stop-go traffic.

They have not tested the flow rate of the BMW OE thermatic fan, I do not know the maximum CFM rating of the fan, nor does PWR.

That being said Peter has had a good look at the fan unit previously, in his opinion the assembly is quite large and "should" be up to the task of pulling an adequate quantity of air through the core at low vehicle speeds, to maintain reasonable water temps.

As I mentioned previously this is something we would have to verify.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 03-12-2012 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0