E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Correct engine mount positioning

06-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #1
Ocean6
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 328i Manual

Correct engine mount positioning

Hey all,

Have a 2009 E92 328i, manual transmission. Dropped the subframe today to do the oil pan gasket. Looks great with the fresh hardware and holding oil without any leaks (for now). My struggles and putting the subframe back in place. I didn’t replace or touch the engine mounts, but when lifting the subframe back up, I’m able to get all the subframe bolts lined up, even in the frame, and the engine mounts threads through their slotted hole but something can’t be right...

There seems to be a half inch gap on the driver side motor mount ( seems like only the left half of it it catching the engine. Passenger side is only a little bit of a hair line gap but you can see the old outline from where it used to sit it’s not 100%. I’m at a complete loss. If I’m able to get in the subframe bolts, engine mounts through the holes and their bolts on killing me that the engine mounts aren’t sitting flush. Are they suppose to sit flush? (Assuming yes? Anyone run into anything like this before?

Pictures are driver mount, passenger mount (2 photos) and level of engine it’s currently sitting at with subframe atttached

Thank you!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 08:39 PM   #2
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

As long as you have the bump on the bottom slotted/aligned with that hole in the subframe you're fine. Also assume the top nut is threaded all the way to torque spec.

That's just how much it compresses over time. Passenger side especially. Almost everyone could skip replacing the driver's side the first time around.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 09:35 AM   #3
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Wouldn't this make perfect sense since your engine is being pulled up by the brace? I imagine as soon as you disconnect the top of the engine from the support it would all go back in place. Also I think since the transmission is taking all the load of it being lifted it would tend to swing back like that and lift it off the mounts a bit

When I removed the engine out of my parts car I had It slant backwards when the engine mounts were unbolted
      06-20-2021, 11:10 PM   #4
bluewater328
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bluewater 328i LCI sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Wouldn't this make perfect sense since your engine is being pulled up by the brace? I imagine as soon as you disconnect the top of the engine from the support it would all go back in place. Also I think since the transmission is taking all the load of it being lifted it would tend to swing back like that and lift it off the mounts a bit

When I removed the engine out of my parts car I had I slant backwards when the engine mounts were unbolted
Perfect sense. Plus, I think most people would be surprised how changing the passenger mount makes the engine look "more level" than they're accustomed to seeing after watching it slowly slant over time.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Wouldn't this make perfect sense since your engine is being pulled up by the brace?
It does not look like pulled up, but it is preventing driver side to go down. The engine hook is leaning on the brace hook towards right. If the hook is tightened not moving and the brace has moved all the way to right on the fender channels that cannot move any more laterally, then it is preventing the engine to lean on the driver side. As much as I can gather from a picture.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0