E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Suspension and brakes

06-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #1
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335i Coupe

Suspension and brakes

Only a few things to do on my 335. Need to do suspension all around, brakes and dv/bov. For suspension I wanted to go koni yellows, should I buy a full refresh kit on fcp while I'm at it or can I buy a kit that comes with konis from somewhere. I'm going to just get regular rotors but I have hawk pads from previous owner, are they worth the money only being fbo at 17-18 psi if not what do you recommend.

Tia
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 12:08 AM   #2
edycol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan E92 335i View Post
Only a few things to do on my 335. Need to do suspension all around, brakes and dv/bov. For suspension I wanted to go koni yellows, should I buy a full refresh kit on fcp while I'm at it or can I buy a kit that comes with konis from somewhere. I'm going to just get regular rotors but I have hawk pads from previous owner, are they worth the money only being fbo at 17-18 psi if not what do you recommend.

Tia
What is full refresh kit?
I would choose my own parts. Definitely go M3 control arms from TRW. Do schock mounts in the back from Monroe (uber cheap). Do rear subframe bushings. Go race or solid.
IMO I would go Bilstein instead of Koni.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #3
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:

Tia
Koni sports are a good choice. Being adjustable (fronts are very easy, rear more of a pain) is a nice feature. Most people initially adjust till they get where they are happy and then leave it. Also, on the E82 at least, the B6 vs B8 'controversy' got frustrating. And Koni's will be a little more comfortable for everyday driving.

Get the right bumpstops for your springs. I won't give you the parts I used because it probably is different for your car.
      06-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
What is full refresh kit?
I would choose my own parts. Definitely go M3 control arms from TRW. Do schock mounts in the back from Monroe (uber cheap). Do rear subframe bushings. Go race or solid.
IMO I would go Bilstein instead of Koni.
Already has m3 parts, was more referring to the shock mounts and hardware
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #5
Ryan E92 335i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjm120 View Post
Koni sports are a good choice. Being adjustable (fronts are very easy, rear more of a pain) is a nice feature. Most people initially adjust till they get where they are happy and then leave it. Also, on the E82 at least, the B6 vs B8 'controversy' got frustrating. And Koni's will be a little more comfortable for everyday driving.

Get the right bumpstops for your springs. I won't give you the parts I used because it probably is different for your car.
Pretty sure they are h&r sport springs I'd have to find out, any way to tell just by looking at the spring? I was looking at the shock mount kit from fcp, would I be able to cut the bump stop or is there somewhere specific to buy them from if they haven't already been replaced
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
gjm120
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i, 2021 230i

Quote:
Pretty sure they are h&r sport springs I'd have to find out, any way to tell just by looking at the spring? I was looking at the shock mount kit from fcp, would I be able to cut the bump stop or is there somewhere specific to buy them from if they haven't already been replaced
BMW OE springs are black and have an alpha-numeric code like D7. Fronts have the code on a tag, rears have the code painted on. I think H&R springs have H&R and a part no on them, but, it may be worn off.

As far as bumpstops, people do cut them but if you're refreshing suspension it's best to replace the bumpstops. They deteriorate.

Hopefully someone will chime in with what to look for on the springs and what bumpstops are best suited for your setup. Sorry I can't be of more help.