E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Shipping from US via USPS

04-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #23
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I've found that if you get something couriered or shipped here, the broker will, on your behalf, take care of the GST / PST and duty. So expect to get passed on the 5% / 8% / 7% as well as the brokerage fee. This is all part of the process...

Remember that a LOT of products come into Canada this way every day, often worth a lot of money, and so everything is done properly. Most items that come in are for business purposes, and the small percentage that are personal shipments go through the same channels.

When you drive something across the border yourself, the agent who deals with you is largely dealing with the general public making small personal purchases. These agents are waaaaaaaaaaaay to lazy to go through the books and calculate duties, so they will usually just charge the GST / PST.

On a side note, if your shipment comes into Canada through another province on its way in to Ontario, you usually will not get charged any PST.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #24
halB
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S

I recently had a set of DPE with PS2 mounted shipped in from the US via FedEx Ground. Not my choice but the seller ended up doing it that way for one reason or another. I was annoyed becasue I figured I would have to pay a lot on brokerage, duty and taxes. I tracked them on FedEx web site, and as soon as they arrived at their local warehouse I called them to tell them I want to clear them myself. So they faxed me the paper and instructed me to take them to Canada Customs not far from their warehouse to get the shippment cleared and stamped, and bring them to FedEx warehouse to pick up my wheels. When I showed up at Customs the officer (a middle age woman in full Customs uniform, bullet proof vest, Maglite pouch and all, while working in a very low traffic quiet OFFICE) asked me for proof of payment. I said I bought it online, and have to go back home to print out the email if she really want it. So she looked at the commercial invoice that came with the FedEx paper instead, which supposed to say each sold at $99 (a lie) but somehow FedEx interpretted it as $99 for all 4 . She asked me what kind of tires they are (she had no access to them immediately becasue they were at FedEx, not at that Customs office) and how much I actually paid. I said I believe they were taken off from a GM something, and I paid $100 US for them (big lie ). She said "OK, they gotta be American made then, must be Goodyear or something. No duty." I didn't say a word but was peeing myself laughing. She then said she was concerned becasue these are used tires, and probably have mud on them. Mud is a no no because it may carry disease. I said they must have been scrubbed clean becasue they were listed with very good pictures and they looked like brand new. She seem satisfied, went back to her desk, completed the paperwork, and sent me to the cashier to pay 20 some odd dollars for PST and GST on the $125 Canadian declared value (more like FedEX declared value) and get the FedEx paper back with a stamp on it. I paid the money, took the paper, laughed all the way to FedEX, got the tires, and laughed all the way home!!!

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
MechUT
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 330i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm aware of similar experiences - the only problem is the risk of damage to, or loss of, the shipment.
Insurance will only cover the declared value of $99 per, which I'm sure is a lot, lot less than what you payed.

It's a small gamble, but a gamble none the less.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #26
Andy M
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullo View Post
Gonna be interesting explaining why you've got 4 wheels in the back seat / trunk of your car...

"They're just my spare tires..."
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #27
JHFW89225
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i  [0.00]
hey, anyone how long does items takes to usually clear customs? Mines beens quite a while and its only a bunch of window trims. I hope they're not gonna like confiscate it or something.
2005 BMW X3 3.0i
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 02:48 AM   #28
ereini
Banned
Rep
Drives: Farmula F30

USPS services are pretty awesome. Now a days, They are pretty offering pretty awesome services.
Appreciate 0