E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Using inner high beams with Bi-Xenon?

12-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #1
GoDores
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi with 3 pedals

Using inner high beams with Bi-Xenon?

I've searched but haven't found an answer directly on point.

I have a pre-LCI E91 with adaptive bi-xenon. High beam mode doesn't add much light compared to low beams. I'd like to put LEDs in the inner halogen flash-to-pass lamps and have them activate with the stalk pushed forward. I did this on an E46 with bi-xenon and it greatly improved the high beam output.

1) Can this function be coded? If so, what settings need to be changed in NFRM or elsewhere? On my E46 I just spliced wires but would rather avoid doing that if I can code it.

2) Can anyone recommend a quality LED bulb that will fit the inner lamp housing? According to Google they're H7 bulbs but lots of LEDs have big heat sinks on the back and I want to get something I know will fit. 4300K is strongly preferred but I'd go as high as 6000K (and absolutely no higher). Obviously this isn't for use around other traffic so maximum output is most important.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDores View Post

I have a pre-LCI E91 with adaptive bi-xenon. High beam mode doesn't add much light compared to low beams. I'd like to put LEDs in the inner halogen flash-to-pass lamps and have them activate with the stalk pushed forward. I did this on an E46 with bi-xenon and it greatly improved the high beam output.

1) Can this function be coded? If so, what settings need to be changed in NFRM or elsewhere? On my E46 I just spliced wires but would rather avoid doing that if I can code it.

2) Can anyone recommend a quality LED bulb that will fit the inner lamp housing? According to Google they're H7 bulbs but lots of LEDs have big heat sinks on the back and I want to get something I know will fit. 4300K is strongly preferred but I'd go as high as 6000K (and absolutely no higher). Obviously this isn't for use around other traffic so maximum output is most important.
Check out bimmian - weisschlit bulbs are good, but they aren't cheap .

https://bimmian.com

One thing is for sure, you won't be able to do that unless you have an FRM 2 or 3.

I couldn't tell you how to code them to do that. I haven't seen that option.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Beakmoney
Private
Rep
Drives: Company car+07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDores View Post

Subscribed, would love to have this coded if possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Just Apex It
Euro Haus Founder
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP

Yes, it’s possible. Coded it on my old E90.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

I thought the ineer headlight on adaptive bi xenon were for cornering lights only? When I flash my lights it's only the bi xenons that get stronger.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Just Apex It
Euro Haus Founder
Rep
Drives: '04 E46 330Ci ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I thought the ineer headlight on adaptive bi xenon were for cornering lights only? When I flash my lights it's only the bi xenons that get stronger.
On Pre-LCI E90s, they’re used for Flash-To-Pass and DRLs from the factory.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #7
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Module:
FRM

Function Value:
PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON

Change:
"wert 02" to "wert 01"
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #8
GoDores
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 328xi with 3 pedals

I finally solved this. I was never able to find the correct answer for my car online so hopefully this helps someone else. I have a 10/07 build with the FRM2 module. Change the following two values in the FRM module via NCSExpert as follows:

PWM_FL
wert_01
wert_02
wert_03

PWM_FL_BEI_BIXENON
wert_1

I was able to confirm tonight my lights are working as desired: on high beam activation, the inner lamps (which are completely unused with the factory coding in my car) come on, and the shutters on the bi-Xenon outer lights open to the high beam position.

If you also want to change the "flash-to-pass" to flashing the inner lights instead of the bi-Xenons, also code the following value:

BI_XENON_BEI_LH
nicht_aktiv

I put these bulbs from Amazon in the inner lamps:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't had the chance to test them on the road yet but they seem like they add a lot of light to the high beam bi-Xenon, especially directly ahead.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2019, 04:07 AM   #9
richard_tricky
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 335d

Could there be any issues with current draw using both lamps at the same time?

Also can this be done with protool
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2022, 06:15 PM   #10
XCT
Romania
Rep
Drives: E90 318i M pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_tricky View Post
Could there be any issues with current draw using both lamps at the same time?

Also can this be done with protool
the xenon draws the same amount on high beam or low beam.it should be calculated so you cand hold flash to pass without problems. normally when using flash to pass the xenon is also on, so there should not be any problem. Buy a certified led that will draw 11w instead of 55 and you are set and worry free.
Appreciate 0