E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > N52 330i acting up. HELP

10-05-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335 xDrive

N52 330i acting up. HELP

I have an N52 BMW e90 330i rwd Manual 165xxx Miles. To start off I had an exhaust leak that happened 2 days before this all went to shit. I was driving and pulled over and turned the car off for about 10 minutes and before turning the car off it was fine. Turn it on and it’s idling crazy feels like it is choking, the whole car shaking and there was a knocking type noise from the engine and the car choked and turned off. Tried again, turned on the same and slowly Began to drive and I get the check engine light. I slowly drove it home as it was a suspected misfire, went and got it checked and it was showing “misfire cylinder 1” and “random/multiple cylinder misfire”. Replaced all spark plugs and coils and torqued the plugs to spec. Turn the car on and it’s still knocking. Put oil, and coolant suspecting it could be low. Still knocking and when I ran another check, now cylinder 6 misfire with same multiple/random cylinder misfire. I swapped the coils and spark plugs from different cylinders separately and cleared codes but now still cylinder 6 misfire. I cleaned the maf, cleaned and switched both vanos solenoids with each other. Still idling really rough, feels like it’s choking and strong gas smell from the exhaust and still has a loud ticking/knocking noise. Could be he motor is done but I feel like it’s something different as I was literally driving the car minutes before all this and turning it on. Any help?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: MSport E91

Hey, since the issue is persistent to cylinder 6 I'd say look at the large DISA valve on the intake.
The pin that holds the vane (flap) of the valve does break apart after years of heat cycling. My guess is the pin or parts from yours is possibly stuck in the combustion chamber.
I mention this bc I similarly had a spirited drive a few years back and then complete $hit horrible shaking with a cylinder 6 misfire.
Replaced the large DISA and in my case the pin is somewhere in the cat or muffler.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 01:40 AM   #3
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCiROLL View Post
Hey, since the issue is persistent to cylinder 6 I'd say look at the large DISA valve on the intake.
The pin that holds the vane (flap) of the valve does break apart after years of heat cycling. My guess is the pin or parts from yours is possibly stuck in the combustion chamber.
I mention this bc I similarly had a spirited drive a few years back and then complete $hit horrible shaking with a cylinder 6 misfire.
Replaced the large DISA and in my case the pin is somewhere in the cat or muffler.

Was looking into the DISA Valve issue online as I was thinking the same. As I was running codes with the scan tool today it gave cylinder misfire in 4 and 5 along with 6. If it's not the DISA valve then I have no clue, prob could be not enough backpressure from the exhaust due to exhaust leak maybe. Gonna check DISA valve today. I'll update on anything more I do. Thanks for the reply tho. Did you find the pin by chance? Or are you guessing where yours may be currenty?

Last edited by Sawced_335; 10-07-2019 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: misspelled word
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
lildiesel98
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi

My 2009 e92 335xi manual did the same thing
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2019, 08:24 PM   #5
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildiesel98 View Post
My 2009 e92 335xi manual did the same thing
Did you have to find where the pin was in the engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hey Rahat,

I never found it. I only noticed the DISA issue when I was working on replacing my PVC hoses. The large DISA flap was bouncing around at the bottom of the intake.
I used a cheap wifi camera to look into the cylinder. Luckily I didn't see any damage. I can only guess the pin is either in the exhaust or in one of the catalytic converters.

Last edited by NYCiROLL; 10-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: Added image
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:13 AM   #7
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hey Rahat,

I never found it. I only noticed the DISA issue when I was working on replacing my PVC hoses. The large DISA flap was bouncing around at the bottom of the intake.
I used a cheap wifi camera to look into the cylinder. Luckily I didn't see any damage. I can only guess the pin is either in the exhaust or in one of the catalytic converters.

Just pulled my larger disa valve and see the entire pin gone with the flap off the disa laying in the intake by the disa hole. Any idea on what I should do if its not in the intake? I dont wanna damage my engine if its stuck in the engine somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 03:14 AM   #8
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

My disa
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep

I'd say try getting your hands on something similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Once you have it, remove the intake and look into cylinder 6 (all the way in the back near the firewall) It's possible the rod from the disa valve is still knocking about in that chamber. Hopefully its a simple fix for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #10
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd say try getting your hands on something similar to this
https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Once you have it, remove the intake and look into cylinder 6 (all the way in the back near the firewall) It's possible the rod from the disa valve is still knocking about in that chamber. Hopefully its a simple fix for you.
I had a cylinder 4, 5 and 6 misfire last I turned the car on. Do you think it moved past cylinder 6?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #11
NYCiROLL
Enlisted Member
Rep

Being that the cylinders are independent of each other I'd say it's more likely that
pieces of the plastic might be in cylinder 4 and 5.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #12
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Being that the cylinders are independent of each other I'd say it's more likely that
pieces of the plastic might be in cylinder 4 and 5.
Update: I se the pin stuck in cylinder 6 from the holes were the intake manifold bolt on but the issue is the disa valve pin is stuck by the valve. Can't pull it out cause it's stuck. What are my options?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #13
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
interested in what you do here
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Just turn the motor over by hand till the valve opens.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
How would I do that
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #16
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahat Sauce View Post
Quote:
How would I do that
Put a socket on the bolt on the crankshaft pulley and turn it clockwise. I would probably remove the intake manifold first to get a good grip on that piece before turning it over.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2019, 10:23 PM   #17
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
How would I do that
Put a socket on the bolt on the crankshaft pulley and turn it clockwise. I would probably remove the intake manifold first to get a good grip on that piece before turning it over.
Intake manifold is out currently. That's how I got the pictures inside of the pin. I'll try what you said and see what happens. I'll update once it's done. Thanks 🙏🏽
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #18
Sawced_335
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Intake manifold is out currently. That's how I got the pictures inside of the pin. I'll try what you said and see what happens. I'll update once it's done. Thanks 🙏🏽
UPDATE: Got the pin out by trying to start the car and cut it off before it starts up. This may be a dumb thing to do as things can get sucked into the engine with it open but just make sure nothing around the holes are able to fly in. Tried to crank the crankshaft but it wasn’t working so I tried this other method. The valve actually didn’t open with trying to crank but with the fuel being sprayed onto the valve it actually lubed up the pin enough for me to yank on it a little harder and the pin came out in one piece. But it seems that before the pin was stuck it, had a piece of about diameter of a dime, come off and I don’t know where it may be. The engine still is ticking I can’t tell if that was normal from before because I haven’t started the car normally in so long. No knocking, rough idle gone, check engine light still on because I didn’t put a new flap on the disa yet, just a disa with no flap in currently. I haven’t scanned codes yet either but took it on a 2-3 min spin around the block and it’s running again. I’ll upload a picture of the pin with how much is missing and I’ll update more when I get the new large disa pin that I ordered from the UK.
Appreciate 0