E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > The "best" floor jack for 335d and X5 35d?

03-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #23
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaddam2 View Post
Harbor freight 3 ton low profile jack for $85 (link shows $95 but always on sale) does the job for me. heavy as all get out but yeah does the job.

also 2 year warranty and you can bring it in bc there is a scratch in the foam and they just give you a new one which is nice to know when buying a cheap HF jack.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-l...ump-61253.html
Same brand and everything, but I got the 2 ton version. Low and long. Haven't had a chance to try and get it under the front lift point, but lifted the back corner very high. I'm sure this is going to be great for exhaust work.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 01:15 PM   #24
Casca
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT

What's the difference?

Arcan XL2T
https://www.amazon.com/Arcan-XL2T-Bl...t_sims?ie=UTF8

Sunex 6602LP
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1ZCN0I...&pd_rd_w=Nch4q

Pittsburgh (Harbor Freight) 2 ton low profile long reach
https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-68050.html

Possible they are all exactly the same externally and internally with the Harbor Freight being a newer version with the foot pedal and T-handle/knob that is being live tested before they incorporate it into the higher priced versions? The Arcan model "Complies with the ASME PALD 2009 standard ", which probably just means they paid to have that endorsement, not necessarily that it is built better than the other two versions.

All the negative reviews about lowering being too sensitive, stuck in the up position, not holding the load, failing...can be found for all three jacks. It's like they painted the same jack three different color schemes, advertised it under different brand names and sell at different price points for people that insist a jack must cost at least "this much" before it is reliable. The Sunex seems to be for people that want to get the Arcan, but didn't want to pay the price and getting the Sunex version was only $70ish more than getting the Harbor Freight.

Just want to hear others thoughts on this. Was set to order from Amazon for the Arcan, but think I'll just drive to my local HF and get that jack with the extended warranty.

I've had an HB jack before. The 3 ton low profile. Worked perfectly for 4 or 5 years and got stolen. Only problem I had was it wasn't low profile enough to get to the front center jack point on my lowered e90 without using ramps or spare tire jack to get some clearance.

Last edited by Casca; 12-09-2017 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #25
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

I have the HBF 2 ton low-profile long reach and I do not have any problem lifting my 335d, front or side lift points. I also used it also to lift an Honda Odyssey, a much heavier car.

Got it over a 1 year ago and no problems so far. I do not trust any jack by itself, I always use Jack Stands. To lower the car, the release knob is very sensitive, you have to turn it slowly. The pedal for a quick lift, is a nice feature.

Note: Check the oil level, mine was under-filled.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 11:37 PM   #26
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
I have the HBF 2 ton low-profile long reach and I do not have any problem lifting my 335d, front or side lift points. I also used it also to lift an Honda Odyssey, a much heavier car.

Got it over a 1 year ago and no problems so far. I do not trust any jack by itself, I always use Jack Stands. To lower the car, the release knob is very sensitive, you have to turn it slowly. The pedal for a quick lift, is a nice feature.

Note: Check the oil level, mine was under-filled.
montr, is your D a standard, sport, or m-sport? That damn low nose of the m-sport really demands a very low profile to clear it. the standard is 3/4" higher ride height and the nose profile is higher even if you have the same ride height from hub center to fender arch. I'm about a 1/4" higher now than when i bought my jack.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 06:33 AM   #27
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Harbor freight 3 ton low profile jack for $85 (link shows $95 but always on sale) does the job for me. heavy as all get out but yeah does the job.

also 2 year warranty and you can bring it in bc there is a scratch in the foam and they just give you a new one which is nice to know when buying a cheap HF jack.

i have one like this. it looks the exactly the same, but it is orange. mine must be the old model because it doesn't have rapid pump or a handle cover. it has worked great for many years and has enough ass to lift both the wheels from the front center lift point. I also have 6 jack stands and rhino ramps.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #28
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
montr, is your D a standard, sport, or m-sport? That damn low nose of the m-sport really demands a very low profile to clear it. the standard is 3/4" higher ride height and the nose profile is higher even if you have the same ride height from hub center to fender arch. I'm about a 1/4" higher now than when i bought my jack.
My car has the standard suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #29
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
My car has the standard suspension.
This explains being able to use the higher profile jack.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2017, 04:46 AM   #30
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

The Arcan XL2T works perfectly with my non-Sport, but even then I like to drive the car the Rhino Ramps six inches so that I can see what I am doing under the car a little better.
      09-25-2019, 06:02 AM   #31
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Quote:

You're link doesn't work but I have the same jack from harbor freight, actually two. Even fits under my 335d with the bilstein coilovers installed and the car dropped 2.5" in the front. Not sure it will reach the middle jack point in the front anymore though lol