E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > N53 a few issues, can anyone advise?

11-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #1
usi227
Rep
Drives: N53

N53 a few issues, can anyone advise?

Hi all,

Having some rough running issues with my N53 330i on 61,000 miles. I've researched extensively and am a bit stumped at the moment.

A few months ago just after I bought it the car was experiencing the typical cold start misfire. I replaced the injectors with 6 brand new OEM BMW index 11 ones and coded them.

I then did the Vanos BMW CCV repair with aluminium cap and membrane as I was experiencing some translucent whiteish smoke out the back after prolonged periods of idling and high oil consumption (1l/1,500 miles)

6 new plugs
6 new coils
NoxEM (nox sensor emulator)
Reset adaptations + coded everything to the tee.

Car began to idle at 550rpm with a slight hiccup (after injectors failed), I thought this would disappear as I replaced things but it hasn't. I've artificially raised the idle in ISTA by 50 rpm to reach 600rpm and now it idles without any hiccups.

The smoke looks exactly per the video below and my oil consumption is around 1l every 1,500-2,000 miles which seems excessive. My gut says valve stem seals which is a real kick in the teeth as the private seller must've known about this issue as it's used oil since I bought it.

Only alternative I can think of is that the value cover gasket has failed as when I pulled the plugs they were a bit oily and a bit of oil was in one of the plug wells. I can occasionally smell oil in the cabin with the heater on but I'm unsure if this would cause as high oil consumption as I'm currently experiencing.

Any help would be appreciated,
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i

Replace the valve cover first.

Update the DME. Reset adaptions again and try to follow the bimmerprofs procedure so that the car re learns them properly.

The white smoke is normal at this time of year. It is just condensation.

The high oil consumption will most likely be down to CCV, valve cover gasket leak etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
usi227
Rep
Drives: N53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
Replace the valve cover first.

Update the DME. Reset adaptions again and try to follow the bimmerprofs procedure so that the car re learns them properly.

The white smoke is normal at this time of year. It is just condensation.

The high oil consumption will most likely be down to CCV, valve cover gasket leak etc.
Thanks Dom. Good advice I think. Given the high labour cost and lack of time to do it myself, I'm tempted to get the garage to just replace the valve cover as well given its age. Would hate to change the gasket only to have to replace the cover down the line.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, certainly replace the whole assembly and I'd use an OEM one too. They are pricey but the CCV has a dramatic effect on both oil consumption and running.

Whilst the repair is a good method, it only takes a pin hole for problems to arise so it is best just to rule it out for good.

You've done all the other things right, assume you have no rough running codes and the engine goes into all 3 modes as it should?

The other thing you could do is walnut blast the inlet.

The oily smell from the heater is usually a result of oil dripping onto the manifold once the valve cover gasket leaks.

Stick with it, my N53 has been very good over the last 18 months. Nice engine. Very refined, just a bit fussy.
Appreciate 2
      11-05-2021, 02:45 AM   #5
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
+1 on replacing the cover not just the gasket. Also worth considering an oil catch can to minimise oil in the inlet moving forward...

And I agree that 'smoke' is nothing to worry about.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
usi2273.00
      11-05-2021, 01:05 PM   #6
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep

An OCC on an N53 is an interesting topic. The N53 uses exhaust gas recirculation which makes as much mess of the inlet valves as oil does, so the benefits of an OCC are a bit limited.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 04:48 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
An OCC on an N53 is an interesting topic. The N53 uses exhaust gas recirculation which makes as much mess of the inlet valves as oil does, so the benefits of an OCC are a bit limited.
That's why I partially blanked my EGR...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2021, 05:16 AM   #8
0l0dom0l0
First Lieutenant
Rep

Any fault codes?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #9
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Agree the smoke in that video is nothing to worry about. Looks more like water vapour than oil smoke.

I do actually get oil smoke occasionally, and have not been able to confirm/work out where it is coming from. I don't think valve seals give an issue on these engines, and my CCV diaphragm is fine (replaced by me) but i think the overall system is flakey and oil gets recirc'ed around to the inlet then pools, then drips into the cylinder via open valves overnight, then burns off.

Another theory is leaking injectors and the petrol then burns the oil, but i don't buy that personally. I've had the occasional blue puff since i've had the car, 7 years, and have changed the injectors in that time and it made no difference - there is also a rough pattern of how its used and whether it overfuels for getting cats warm, which may burn crap in the exhaust if its done lots of short trips.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 08:08 AM   #10
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Quote:
Stick with it, my N53 has been very good over the last 18 months. Nice engine. Very refined, just a bit fussy.
Agree, very good engines when running right - i've got one hooked up to a zf8 speed auto in an f10 and its a lovely combo - the extra ratios help it shift.
Appreciate 0