E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > INPA not resetting rear windows with FRM3

06-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Mseg
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

INPA not resetting rear windows with FRM3

I upgraded my FRM unit to a FRM3 a few years ago, when I upgraded my halogens to pre-LCI xenon's. I have an e90.

Yesterday one of my rear window regulators broke, and after I replaced it, I tried to reset all the windows with INPA. However, only the front windows move during the procedure. When I choose the option for rear windows, they don't move. The rear windows only move with the door buttons.

Is there a possibility that I need to set some VO in the NFRM for this to work?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #2
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mseg View Post
I upgraded my FRM unit to a FRM3 a few years ago [I presume your rear windows worked via Driver Switch Cluster AFTER replacing FRM?]...Yesterday one of my rear window regulators broke, and after I replaced it, I tried to reset all the windows with INPA. However, only the front windows move during the procedure. When I choose the option for rear windows, they don't move. The rear windows only move with the door buttons. [Do Driver Switch Cluster switches move REAR windows?]...
You SHOULD be able to "DeNormalize" or remove OLD Initialization and "Initialize" Control Module related to NEW window motor using either:
1) INPA JBE Module F6 Activations function; or
2) Door switches per the attached procedure from Bentley 512-19, p.692 of pdf, similar procedure can be found in TIS.

REAR Window Motors are wired to, and controlled by, JBE Module, so even if you have an issue with other connections between INPA and the NEW FRM Module, that should NOT affect your ability to Re-initialize new Rear Motor using two methods above. Please let us know if EITHER of those does NOT work. You don't say what your model year is, but here is Window Motor wiring diagram (Outputs) for 2008 E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lputs/HuwmQ8es

George

Last edited by gbalthrop; 06-26-2020 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 06:20 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Resizing JPG to 50% STILL Ruins margins; ??? What's UP???

Deleted ScreenPrint jpg files from prior post and attaching them HERE.
Resizing to 50% always worked before. WHAT's happening here???

George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Mseg
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
You SHOULD be able to "DeNormalize" or remove OLD Initialization and "Initialize" Control Module related to NEW window motor using either:
1) INPA JBE Module F6 Activations function; or
2) Door switches per the attached procedure from Bentley 512-19, p.692 of pdf, similar procedure can be found in TIS.

REAR Window Motors are wired to, and controlled by, JBE Module, so even if you have an issue with other connections between INPA and the NEW FRM Module, that should NOT affect your ability to Re-initialize new Rear Motor using two methods above. Please let us know if EITHER of those does NOT work. You don't say what your model year is, but here is Window Motor wiring diagram (Outputs) for 2008 E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lputs/HuwmQ8es

George
Thanks for your reply! I have a 2006 325i. All the door switches work, so I tried the procedure from Bentley and it worked! I didn't try the other method with INPA; I didn't know the JBE module was responsible for the rear windows but I'll try it next time.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mseg View Post
Thanks for your reply! I have a 2006 325i. All the door switches work, so I tried the procedure from Bentley and it worked! I didn't try the other method with INPA; I didn't know the JBE module was responsible for the rear windows but I'll try it next time.
Glad to know that worked! TIS wiring diagrams are always helpful in getting a proper concept of HOW a system works. The wiring diagram is basically the Same for your 2006 325i as for a later E90:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...tlputs/r4OlugJ

As you can see from the diagram, the Window Motors are just "Dumb" DC Motors that reverse when polarity of current applied at pins #5 & #6 is reversed. The Motor connectors have 3 additional wires: INK1, INK2, INKM which I presume give feedback for "Pinch Protection" purposes, and also for "End-stop" purposes at full UP/Down Positions.

So Conceptually, AFAICT, the Initialization process is simply training the JBE to which those wires all connect, to stop or reverse the Motor at the proper place, when "Express" operation (one-pull/push to open/close) is used. There are any number of things, like turning Steering Lock-to-Lock several times to reset SAS, Coolant Pump Bleed operation by holding Accelerator Pedal to floor for 10 seconds (Ignition on, Engine OFF ;-) that can be "Re-initialized" WITHOUT INPA or other Software "Reset/Initialization", but BMW wants to keep its Dealers in Busine$$.

George
Appreciate 0